The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lung symptoms

Forums General Melanoma Community Lung symptoms

Participant

Hello all,

New here, first diagnosed with in situ melanoma two weeks ago and had it immediately removed. I realize this is probably anxiety and paranoia manifesting itself, or complete coincidence, but since a few days after I got the diagnosis I've had some slight phlegm in my throat, and minor pains and tightness in my chest that is not localized to one spot. Minor pains tend to move to different parts of my chest. No cough present and no shortness of breath.

What I'd like to know is, what are the symptoms of a lung met if they're present?

I realize it's near impossible to get a lung met from an in situ tumor, but I'm going to see a second dermatologist to get a second opinion on some questionable moles that I don't feel like my first dermatologist paid enough attention to.

Sorry if this all sounds like newbie material, but I'm trying to figure out if I'm going crazy or if I have a reason for worry.devil

Andrew

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Most people with lung mets have no symptoms.  You are right, you are overreacting to an in situ melanoma.  My dad had both lung cancer (non smoker) and mets to the lungs and never had symptoms until late in the game.  Other things were discovered before the lungs.  

Take photos of your questionable moles.  Check them in lighting you can duplicate monthly.  If something changes, discuss with your doc.  <10% ever have a second primary and in situ is extremely rare to spread.  There just aren't any blood or lymph vessels in the epidermis, so no vehicle to go anywhere.  Researching online will keep anxiety higher… So try and move on if you can.

liberty04281
            Participant
              Those could be signs of anxiety.
              liberty04281
              Participant
                liberty04281
                Participant
                  looptwelve
                  Participant

Thank you very much. I very much agree with the poster after this that it sounds like anxiety. I just wanted to hear how lung mets manifested themselves to prove to myself that I was going crazy. Part of me is paranoid that maybe there is another, far worse mole on me that has spread, but as you said, it's unlikely to develop a second melanoma. I had my concerning moles checked out by the derm who did my Mohs procedure, but I don't feel like she did a very thorough job, thus making me feel the need to see a different dermatologist this week for a thorough, full body check.

looptwelve
                    Participant

Thank you very much. I very much agree with the poster after this that it sounds like anxiety. I just wanted to hear how lung mets manifested themselves to prove to myself that I was going crazy. Part of me is paranoid that maybe there is another, far worse mole on me that has spread, but as you said, it's unlikely to develop a second melanoma. I had my concerning moles checked out by the derm who did my Mohs procedure, but I don't feel like she did a very thorough job, thus making me feel the need to see a different dermatologist this week for a thorough, full body check.

looptwelve
                      Participant

Janner
                      Participant

Most people with lung mets have no symptoms.  You are right, you are overreacting to an in situ melanoma.  My dad had both lung cancer (non smoker) and mets to the lungs and never had symptoms until late in the game.  Other things were discovered before the lungs.  

Take photos of your questionable moles.  Check them in lighting you can duplicate monthly.  If something changes, discuss with your doc.  <10% ever have a second primary and in situ is extremely rare to spread.  There just aren't any blood or lymph vessels in the epidermis, so no vehicle to go anywhere.  Researching online will keep anxiety higher… So try and move on if you can.

Janner
                        Participant

Jubes
                          Participant

Hi I have a large lung met and I was coughing for six months with no other symptoms before my dr even asked for an x ray! Your lungs are glands so there are no nerve endings and they do not feel pain. It is only when my met got to 5 cm that it hit the lung wall and that caused the irritation that caused the cough. It has shrunk now as I am on keytruda, but I still have to clear my throat a lot as there is still inflammation there. You are probably just anxious (it took 10 years for my in situ to become stage 4 with no symptoms in between)but you are right to listen to your body and get things checked out to be sure. Glad you got it early. 

looptwelve
                              Participant

Thanks for the reply. Did you ever feel sort of a tickling in your lungs? That's perhaps the weirdest part for me.

looptwelve
                                Participant

Thanks for the reply. Did you ever feel sort of a tickling in your lungs? That's perhaps the weirdest part for me.

looptwelve
                                  Participant

Jubes
                                  Participant

Hi I have a large lung met and I was coughing for six months with no other symptoms before my dr even asked for an x ray! Your lungs are glands so there are no nerve endings and they do not feel pain. It is only when my met got to 5 cm that it hit the lung wall and that caused the irritation that caused the cough. It has shrunk now as I am on keytruda, but I still have to clear my throat a lot as there is still inflammation there. You are probably just anxious (it took 10 years for my in situ to become stage 4 with no symptoms in between)but you are right to listen to your body and get things checked out to be sure. Glad you got it early. 

Jubes
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics