The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lung surgery?

Forums General Melanoma Community Lung surgery?

Participant

Hi all

i am doing really well. All tumours have disappeared on keytruda except the main one in my lung which has shrunk from 7.9cm at its biggest to 3cm x 1cm now. Just had my pet and it is 4.2 SUV but was 10.2 SUV this time last year. I am on steroids for the side effects from the keytruda. I have really bad arthritis type pain through my body. Much worse in the night and morning. Drs are thinking stay on keytruda and steroids as long as side effects are manageable. But some time in the future resect the lung tumour which is in the right lower lobe. Has anyone had this operation who could give me some advice? ( Drs say that in 50% of cases like this when they resect there is actually no tumour left and the brightness on the pet is the immune system working)

thanks

anne-Louise 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        LaurenE
        Participant

Hopefully you'll get replies from people who have gone through this themselves, but I can speak on behalf of my dad. Last year he had bilateral lung mets removed via thoroscopy, so just three small incisions on each side instead of opening up the whole chest. He had a parts of the lobes in each lung removed. He has smoked most of his life, but had good respiratory status and now one year later has absolutely no residual problems with breathing, even with exertion. He (at 63) was only in the hospital for about 4-5 days. He had an epidural for pain, which was good, but we found that toradol (an IV/IM NSAID like ibuprofen or naproxen) on top of it really helped with the tight band-like pain afterwards. He has not had any lung recurrence. He did not do any systemic therapy, however, so he now has recurrence elsewhere and is looking at medications like keytruda.

That's his experience in brief – if you have any other questions or thoughts, let me know! I'm glad to hear you're responding well to the keytruda! It seems like removing the final tumor may be a good idea!

Lauren

LaurenE
          Participant

Hopefully you'll get replies from people who have gone through this themselves, but I can speak on behalf of my dad. Last year he had bilateral lung mets removed via thoroscopy, so just three small incisions on each side instead of opening up the whole chest. He had a parts of the lobes in each lung removed. He has smoked most of his life, but had good respiratory status and now one year later has absolutely no residual problems with breathing, even with exertion. He (at 63) was only in the hospital for about 4-5 days. He had an epidural for pain, which was good, but we found that toradol (an IV/IM NSAID like ibuprofen or naproxen) on top of it really helped with the tight band-like pain afterwards. He has not had any lung recurrence. He did not do any systemic therapy, however, so he now has recurrence elsewhere and is looking at medications like keytruda.

That's his experience in brief – if you have any other questions or thoughts, let me know! I'm glad to hear you're responding well to the keytruda! It seems like removing the final tumor may be a good idea!

Lauren

Jubes
              Participant

Thanks so much Lauren. That helps me so much!! Good luck to your dad with keytruda. I really think it is a miracle! 

Jubes
                Participant

Thanks so much Lauren. That helps me so much!! Good luck to your dad with keytruda. I really think it is a miracle! 

Jubes
                  Participant

LaurenE
                  Participant

Lauren

Kim K
                    Participant

I had VATS wedge resection on my right lower lung lobe in Feb. 2010.  Very doable surgery and you can look up my posts around that time.

I did have a pulmonary embolus that night in spite of being up and walking, having the stocking thingies on with pumps while in bed.

Pain was minimal (except for the PE!) and very tolerable.  I would have gone home in 3 days if it wasn't for the PE.  I went home in 5.  By the third day my docs had to find me on the floor because I was getting stir crazy and would be out walking around.  I guess that was my way of saying F-you melanoma, I refuse to "behave" like a cancer patient since I wasn't one…….

I underwent IL-2 that summer for the one remaining tiny met in my pectoralis muscle and have been NED since June 2010.

Best of luck on your journey, kick mel's butt.  The lung surgery was intimidating, but in the end, not a biggie.  Get it over with and let the healing begin!

With the location and size of tumor, they can probably do the keyhole surgery.  My main pain came from an allergic reaction to latex (blistered along the path of my foley catheter – think poison ivy up the V jay jay, and blistered skin due to the adhesive where my chest tube was.

I knew my immune system was on the attack, just was hoping it was against mel and not just my skin.  I can e-mail pictures if curious.

Lung surgery has come a very long way.  Not bad really.

KK

Jubes
                        Participant

Thanks!

Jubes
                          Participant

Thanks!

Jubes
                            Participant

Thanks!

Kim K
                            Participant

I had VATS wedge resection on my right lower lung lobe in Feb. 2010.  Very doable surgery and you can look up my posts around that time.

I did have a pulmonary embolus that night in spite of being up and walking, having the stocking thingies on with pumps while in bed.

Pain was minimal (except for the PE!) and very tolerable.  I would have gone home in 3 days if it wasn't for the PE.  I went home in 5.  By the third day my docs had to find me on the floor because I was getting stir crazy and would be out walking around.  I guess that was my way of saying F-you melanoma, I refuse to "behave" like a cancer patient since I wasn't one…….

I underwent IL-2 that summer for the one remaining tiny met in my pectoralis muscle and have been NED since June 2010.

Best of luck on your journey, kick mel's butt.  The lung surgery was intimidating, but in the end, not a biggie.  Get it over with and let the healing begin!

With the location and size of tumor, they can probably do the keyhole surgery.  My main pain came from an allergic reaction to latex (blistered along the path of my foley catheter – think poison ivy up the V jay jay, and blistered skin due to the adhesive where my chest tube was.

I knew my immune system was on the attack, just was hoping it was against mel and not just my skin.  I can e-mail pictures if curious.

KK

Kim K
                              Participant

KK

kylez
                                Participant

Hi anne-Louise,

I had a VATS in 2010. There were too  many mets and on both lungs, so the surgery was for biopsy/confirmation of stage IV so they could begin systemic treatment. I was out in 2 days (yay!). There was tube for drainage after surgery which came out just before I was discharged. Hurt for a bit but didn't need to use painkillers for very long afterwards, just a few days I think. Obviously very happy to get out quickly. The Kaiser ward was a zoo, obviously too high a patient-to-nurse ratio. Knock on wood high-dose IL2 cleared out the lung mets and there has not been a recurrence in either lung since, I'm very used to thinking my lungs are fine. Knock on wood.

Congrats on being a responder to Keytruda. I'm on a Nivolumab combo trial. One lymph node completely responsed, another has been stable for about a year. I only get CTs for the trial. Would be nice to get a PET instead of just CT so oncologist could see SUV, but not reuqired by trial and not easily approved by insurance. 

Good luck / and continuing good response.

– Kyle

kylez
                                  Participant

Hi anne-Louise,

I had a VATS in 2010. There were too  many mets and on both lungs, so the surgery was for biopsy/confirmation of stage IV so they could begin systemic treatment. I was out in 2 days (yay!). There was tube for drainage after surgery which came out just before I was discharged. Hurt for a bit but didn't need to use painkillers for very long afterwards, just a few days I think. Obviously very happy to get out quickly. The Kaiser ward was a zoo, obviously too high a patient-to-nurse ratio. Knock on wood high-dose IL2 cleared out the lung mets and there has not been a recurrence in either lung since, I'm very used to thinking my lungs are fine. Knock on wood.

Congrats on being a responder to Keytruda. I'm on a Nivolumab combo trial. One lymph node completely responsed, another has been stable for about a year. I only get CTs for the trial. Would be nice to get a PET instead of just CT so oncologist could see SUV, but not reuqired by trial and not easily approved by insurance. 

– Kyle

Jubes
                                      Participant

Thanks Kyle. Yes the pet is more informative. But I have only had one at the beginning 12 months ago and one now with cts every 12 weeks ( more in the beginning). Now they are just monitoring by ct as they were hoping the remaining tumor was just scarring but since it's lighting up on the pet it probably isn't. Interesting though that my Drs say that even with 4.2 SUV it could still be the immune system working harder there that makes it light up. Glad everything went well for you. I really feel for patients in the U.S.  All my scans are paid for by Medicare so I know I am getting not more or less than I need. (This is not always the case. If I get a scan for a non life threatening illness I pay a part myself because I am privately insured. Ppl who can not afford to be privately insured get everything for free but they have to wait and they can't choose their doctor)

Jubes
                                        Participant

Thanks Kyle. Yes the pet is more informative. But I have only had one at the beginning 12 months ago and one now with cts every 12 weeks ( more in the beginning). Now they are just monitoring by ct as they were hoping the remaining tumor was just scarring but since it's lighting up on the pet it probably isn't. Interesting though that my Drs say that even with 4.2 SUV it could still be the immune system working harder there that makes it light up. Glad everything went well for you. I really feel for patients in the U.S.  All my scans are paid for by Medicare so I know I am getting not more or less than I need. (This is not always the case. If I get a scan for a non life threatening illness I pay a part myself because I am privately insured. Ppl who can not afford to be privately insured get everything for free but they have to wait and they can't choose their doctor)

Jubes
                                          Participant

kylez
                                          Participant

Hi anne-Louise,

– Kyle

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics