The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lung Nodules

Forums General Melanoma Community Lung Nodules

Participant

Hello – I am revisiting this site as I am going through a bit of a scare recently and was hoping to get some advise/thoughts, I appreciate the information you all have provided others.

I had a chest x-ray that came back with a small lung nodule. (My original MM diagnosis was 1mm clark level IV, neg SNLB). I insisted on a CT scan, that came back with a 4mm (not from original 3mm) and a 8mm some degree of airspace density may be inflammatory.

I have one PCP that says I have no reason to follow up on this and another that says if it were her she would see a pulomonary Dr just to be sure. Sometimes I feel I am overreacting –  I'm very confused. I have a referral to see a Pulmonary Dr. in Vegas.

Thoughts / advise please?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Benign lung nodules are very common.  My question is "have you ever had a CT/Chest XRay before"?  Are these new or is this just the first time you've had some type of scan and now you see them?

There have been tons of people on this site who have had scans that showed nodules.  They've had additional scans and biopsies and the majority of the time, the nodules are benign.  But melanoma can spread to the lungs.  So there is a fine line.  Most – especially early stagers like you – would probably do a followup scan in a reasonable period of time (3-6 months).  As long as things are stable, then consider them benign.  If things change, then you go from there.  If you were stage III, you'd probably already had some type of baseline scans and then these would be used for comparison. 

Janner
          Participant

Benign lung nodules are very common.  My question is "have you ever had a CT/Chest XRay before"?  Are these new or is this just the first time you've had some type of scan and now you see them?

There have been tons of people on this site who have had scans that showed nodules.  They've had additional scans and biopsies and the majority of the time, the nodules are benign.  But melanoma can spread to the lungs.  So there is a fine line.  Most – especially early stagers like you – would probably do a followup scan in a reasonable period of time (3-6 months).  As long as things are stable, then consider them benign.  If things change, then you go from there.  If you were stage III, you'd probably already had some type of baseline scans and then these would be used for comparison. 

Janner
            Participant

jessica_f
              Participant

Hi, I don't want to worry you but I would take a lung nodule seriously. My lung nodule was tracked for two years- growing very slowly and I ended up having it removed 6 weeks ago. Despite my oncologist's thinking (even as it grew to 8mm) that it was a benign granuloma (other poster is right, these are fairly common), it was in fact melanoma.

From what I've learned, stage IV melanoma often goes to the lungs first. I would keep an eye on it, get scanned to see if there's growth, and have it removed if it's growing consistently (and above a certain size). 

Though I was a stage III 14 years ago, my original primary was not very thick- melanoma is unpredictable like that.

Best of luck…

Mrs.GL
                  Participant

Jessica I am sorry to hear you have progessed after 14yrs, I will keep you in my thoughts, keep fighting. I am so thankful that there has been some progess in treatment.

Thank you both for your replies and information! My original plan was to not take them up on the referral and have another x-ray done in 3mo. thats what my primary PCP recommended. I don't think it would hurt though just to go see the Pulmonologist in Vegas and see what he thinks, even if it is just for peace of mind.  I am in somewhat of a rural area and don't have a real warm and fuzzy when it comes to care here.

Janner I read your bio as well and I have a family link to melenoma, although I have never been tested. I'm glad to hear you were part of that study. My father had MM at the age of 32 and at 38 he had progressed to stage 4 to such a point there wasn't any treatment that could be done and this was over 30yrs ago. So this also probably makes me a little more worried than normal.

Thank you again πŸ™‚

Mrs.GL
                    Participant

Jessica I am sorry to hear you have progessed after 14yrs, I will keep you in my thoughts, keep fighting. I am so thankful that there has been some progess in treatment.

Thank you both for your replies and information! My original plan was to not take them up on the referral and have another x-ray done in 3mo. thats what my primary PCP recommended. I don't think it would hurt though just to go see the Pulmonologist in Vegas and see what he thinks, even if it is just for peace of mind.  I am in somewhat of a rural area and don't have a real warm and fuzzy when it comes to care here.

Janner I read your bio as well and I have a family link to melenoma, although I have never been tested. I'm glad to hear you were part of that study. My father had MM at the age of 32 and at 38 he had progressed to stage 4 to such a point there wasn't any treatment that could be done and this was over 30yrs ago. So this also probably makes me a little more worried than normal.

Thank you again πŸ™‚

Mrs.GL
                      Participant

Thank you again πŸ™‚

jessica_f
                      Participant

Hi, I don't want to worry you but I would take a lung nodule seriously. My lung nodule was tracked for two years- growing very slowly and I ended up having it removed 6 weeks ago. Despite my oncologist's thinking (even as it grew to 8mm) that it was a benign granuloma (other poster is right, these are fairly common), it was in fact melanoma.

From what I've learned, stage IV melanoma often goes to the lungs first. I would keep an eye on it, get scanned to see if there's growth, and have it removed if it's growing consistently (and above a certain size). 

Though I was a stage III 14 years ago, my original primary was not very thick- melanoma is unpredictable like that.

Best of luck…

jessica_f
                        Participant

Best of luck…

Kim K
                          Participant

Typically the lungs would need a repat CT scan in a few weeks or months to monitor for growth +/- a PET scan to see if there is any SUV uptake.

My nodule looked benign and didn't change after 4 months.  I still had a PET done which the nodule lit up like a X-mas tree and one onther very small one was in my pectoralis muscle.  

I had the lung nodule removed, it was mel.  I went from stage 2A to IV 8 years later.  No node involvement.

At the very least I would get it rescanned in a few months, possibly a PET.  Based on my SUV uptake, the radiologist said "represents PROBABLE metastasis".  I quibbled over words and was hoping it was a typo and that he really meant "possible".

Anyway, the good news is after the lung nodule was removed, I was a complete responser to IL-2 and have been NED for 5 years with no other treatments.

Any nodule in the lung after a mel diagnosis must be looked at very hard, even if benign looking on CT, chest X-ray.  For me, the PET made the difference and pushed the odds twoards metastasis.  

It is worth being seen by the lung doctor.

IMHO

What a relief to find out it is only random junk not to worry about.  You won't know until another scan or follow up tests.

Kim K
                            Participant

Typically the lungs would need a repat CT scan in a few weeks or months to monitor for growth +/- a PET scan to see if there is any SUV uptake.

My nodule looked benign and didn't change after 4 months.  I still had a PET done which the nodule lit up like a X-mas tree and one onther very small one was in my pectoralis muscle.  

I had the lung nodule removed, it was mel.  I went from stage 2A to IV 8 years later.  No node involvement.

At the very least I would get it rescanned in a few months, possibly a PET.  Based on my SUV uptake, the radiologist said "represents PROBABLE metastasis".  I quibbled over words and was hoping it was a typo and that he really meant "possible".

Anyway, the good news is after the lung nodule was removed, I was a complete responser to IL-2 and have been NED for 5 years with no other treatments.

Any nodule in the lung after a mel diagnosis must be looked at very hard, even if benign looking on CT, chest X-ray.  For me, the PET made the difference and pushed the odds twoards metastasis.  

IMHO

What a relief to find out it is only random junk not to worry about.  You won't know until another scan or follow up tests.

Kim K
                              Participant

IMHO

liberty04281
                                  Participant
                                    You should take it seriously, and rescan it. I was stage 3 and it progressed to stage 4, after scan showed small nodules in my lungs.
                                    liberty04281
                                    Participant
                                      You should take it seriously, and rescan it. I was stage 3 and it progressed to stage 4, after scan showed small nodules in my lungs.
                                      Mrs.GL
                                      Participant

Thank you for your replies, I can rest that I am not overreacting πŸ™‚ Just waiting for my appt. with the Pulmonary physician now.

Kim your story is remarkable, thank you for sharing!

Mrs.GL
                                        Participant

Thank you for your replies, I can rest that I am not overreacting πŸ™‚ Just waiting for my appt. with the Pulmonary physician now.

Mrs.GL
                                          Participant

liberty04281
                                            Participant
                                        Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics