The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lung Mets – Treatment Options

Forums General Melanoma Community Lung Mets – Treatment Options

Participant

On Tuesday I under went a VAT's procedure to do a biopsy on one of the many tiny (size 2-4 mm) nodules on my lungs.  They removed one spot on my left lung.  Initial tests shows malignant cells (per my surgeon) but they are waiting for pathology to confirm what they are.  I was recently staged a 3b in November.  I was trying to qualify for Ipi trial when these spots showed up on a CT scan. 

On Tuesday I under went a VAT's procedure to do a biopsy on one of the many tiny (size 2-4 mm) nodules on my lungs.  They removed one spot on my left lung.  Initial tests shows malignant cells (per my surgeon) but they are waiting for pathology to confirm what they are.  I was recently staged a 3b in November.  I was trying to qualify for Ipi trial when these spots showed up on a CT scan. 

So now I am starting to research what my options may be.  Any one have experience and info on what they did?  I am should hear from my surgeon next week some time on what the pathology report said – then I'm sure they will have some options for me as well.  But I want to do some research first.  I have no symptoms, these were just found from the CT scan. 

Thanks.  I'm sure I should be freaking out about this even more – maybe it's because I'm still on pain meds 😉  or if I have figured I can't change the results so I'll take it one day at time. 

Thanks!

Erin

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

This will involve a lot of reading, but I think that it would be wise to see what clinical trials are most likely to be helpful.

You may have seen this website:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results/refine?term=melanoma

It lists all trials around the world, and some of these sound promising. The trick is to find out which trial is best for you.

Frank

Erinmay22
            Participant

Thanks Frank, yes I've been checking out the clinical trials also.  I'm sure when I meet with doctors in the next week or so they will give me some other options as well.  Just was curious to hear from people going thru this what they have done.

Thanks,

Erin

Erinmay22
              Participant

Thanks Frank, yes I've been checking out the clinical trials also.  I'm sure when I meet with doctors in the next week or so they will give me some other options as well.  Just was curious to hear from people going thru this what they have done.

Thanks,

Erin

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

This will involve a lot of reading, but I think that it would be wise to see what clinical trials are most likely to be helpful.

You may have seen this website:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results/refine?term=melanoma

It lists all trials around the world, and some of these sound promising. The trick is to find out which trial is best for you.

Frank

Nail Biting Husband
                Participant

Erin,

My wife was diagnosed with Stage IV Melanoma cancer November 2009, and the primary was never on the skin – her doctors believe it was a lung primary.  Anyway, her cancer is in her lung, lung lymph node, and liver.  Since February 2010, she has been on a clinical trial for PLX4032, a B-Raf inhibitor.  This drug has worked very well for her, and her cancer is now nearly 30% of its size 13 months ago with no sign of abatement.  This drug was "advertised" as being a short term solution for those with the B-Raf mutation, with an original projected effective period of 6 – 8 months.  I will admit she duration with the drug is likely an anomolly, but it could give you that extra amount of time to check into VEGF (a friend of ours is having success with this trial drug), IPI, MEK, or some of the T-Cell "infusion therapies (I like what their doing at Hutchinson Cancer Center in Seattle).  

My wife's side effects have varied over her treatment – there was a rash and some hair loss for a short period, but for the most part she's battled some cysts that are like persistent zits and has some fatigue from time to time.  She still works out 3-4 times a week, goes hiking with our dog daily, and rides her horse regularly – in other words, she's kicking butt and has had to change little in her life.

Best of luck to you, and feel free to ask questions.

Mike 

Nail Biting Husband
                  Participant

Erin,

My wife was diagnosed with Stage IV Melanoma cancer November 2009, and the primary was never on the skin – her doctors believe it was a lung primary.  Anyway, her cancer is in her lung, lung lymph node, and liver.  Since February 2010, she has been on a clinical trial for PLX4032, a B-Raf inhibitor.  This drug has worked very well for her, and her cancer is now nearly 30% of its size 13 months ago with no sign of abatement.  This drug was "advertised" as being a short term solution for those with the B-Raf mutation, with an original projected effective period of 6 – 8 months.  I will admit she duration with the drug is likely an anomolly, but it could give you that extra amount of time to check into VEGF (a friend of ours is having success with this trial drug), IPI, MEK, or some of the T-Cell "infusion therapies (I like what their doing at Hutchinson Cancer Center in Seattle).  

My wife's side effects have varied over her treatment – there was a rash and some hair loss for a short period, but for the most part she's battled some cysts that are like persistent zits and has some fatigue from time to time.  She still works out 3-4 times a week, goes hiking with our dog daily, and rides her horse regularly – in other words, she's kicking butt and has had to change little in her life.

Mike 

Nail Biting Husband
                    Participant

Erin,

Mike 

Nail Biting Husband
                      Participant

Erin,

Mike 

Nail Biting Husband
                        Participant

Erin,

Mike 

Nail Biting Husband
                          Participant

Erin,

Mike 

Viewing 7 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics