The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lung biopsy back looks like I have moved to stage 4

Forums General Melanoma Community Lung biopsy back looks like I have moved to stage 4

Participant

I had my lung biopsy last week. Thanks to those who made me feel more positive about the decision to go head and do it!! Sometimes you wonder if you are about to do a surgery that turns out to be nothing (although nothing would have been great….don't get me wrong) This is the only spot of concern that has shown up on my scans at this point and surgeon is saying that it was all removed with clean margins…YES!! They will send off for BRAF test….Just wondering if this ever changes because when I was first DX in 8/2016 MD Anderson did say that I tested positive. Hopefully I will have appointment soon with my oncologist to where we go from here. Very open to any questions I should be asking…..I feel like my brain is spinning at this point!!! Thanks to all those who have posted such great info for all of us new to the ugly beast.

Missy

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        JW
        Participant

You responded to my post the other day, so I wanted to respond to you, though I have nothing useful to say, except hang in there!

iskitwo
            Participant

Thank you! I hope you all get great PET result scans. Waiting is so hard!!

Bubbles
            Participant

Sorry for all the chaos I know you must be enduring.  I'm a little confused.  Have they already given you the path report that your removed tissue was melanoma?  Or are they still waiting to find out the result?  I am glad the tissue is being tested for BRAF status.  If you were BRAF positive before, it is most likely that if this is melanoma, it will still be BRAF positive. However, on occasion there can be a change in BRAF status due to mutations in the tumor.  Hang in there.  Will keep all fingers and toes crossed for you.  celeste

iskitwo
                Participant

Yes, I have gotten the final report back that states "Left lower lobe of lung (wedge resection): Metastic malignant melanoma (1.3cm): surgical margins negative for tumor."  They were doing further testing for the BRAF. I have appointment schedule for Tuesday 5/1 to discuses treatment. Questions I should ask?? I have been studying the blog with all the different treatments for melanoma.(thank you)  Hoping i can absorb enough that I have an idea about what the doctor suggest doing.

Bubbles
                  Participant

Okay.  Got it.  From reading your bio, it seems that you have yet to have any adjuvant systemic treatment.  I would certainly be pushing for nivo, personally.  But, all that is done in melanoma care is intensely personal. I assume you have read my "primer" re melanoma treatments on the blog.  Hopefully it will assist in prepping you for a good discussion and help you develop a treatment plan with your docs.  I wish you my best.  c

cjm22
                  Participant

I'm really sorry to hear this. But it's good they got it out!! There are lots of people on this board who are still kicking many years later with stage IV melanoma 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics