The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lung Biopsy

Forums General Melanoma Community Lung Biopsy

Participant
      Hi- I’ve read posts here from time to time… diagnosed stage 3A last year and have been seeing the folks at MDA. This year I’ve become short of breath, on oxygen, weak, etc. The scans are mostly clear except a couple of lung nodules and some other random “spots” they are watching in my pelvis. I’m a “healthy” 26 year old. They scheduled me for a wedge resection of the left lung to get to the bottom of things because I continue to decline. It’s weird, I think. My question for you all is regarding the surgery… like how was the recovery and the chest tube, the pain, etc.

Hi- I’ve read posts here from time to time… diagnosed stage 3A last year and have been seeing the folks at MDA. This year I’ve become short of breath, on oxygen, weak, etc. The scans are mostly clear except a couple of lung nodules and some other random “spots” they are watching in my pelvis. I’m a “healthy” 26 year old. They scheduled me for a wedge resection of the left lung to get to the bottom of things because I continue to decline. It’s weird, I think. My question for you all is regarding the surgery… like how was the recovery and the chest tube, the pain, etc. – when I ask my doctors they make it seem somewhat serious… anyone who has been through it? Thank you so much!!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        KT
        Participant
          Forgot to mention that it will be open, as opposed to VATS
          KT
          Participant
            KT
            Participant
              jmmm
              Participant
                My husband had a wedge resection in February. It was a scary sounding surgery, but the surgery itself wasn’t too bad. He spent 48 hours in a step down initial with all the monitors. For him the worst part was removing the chest tube. The nurse wasn’t very kind and was rushed…may be that was the problem? They said it would be like a Charlie horse..it was one of the most painful things he’s gone through so far, but it lasted only an a few seconds. He had the tube in for about 36 hours. He was able to walk with me carrying the plastic bucket behind him. They had him up and walking the morning after surgery. By that afternoon, he could fairly easily navigate down the hall. As for pain, they tried to give him an epidural, but he wouldn’t let them, he was on a morphine drip the first night and seemed to need a lot, but his pain tolerance in really low and by the next morning, he was on oral pills. As long as he kept up on the pills in the hospital, he was easily able to manage the pain. Only once or twice did it get too bad and he’d ask for more. We just reminded the nurse 30 minutes before he was due for pills, so he wouldN’t have to wait. Recovery itself wasn’t too bad for him. A week or less on pain pills, and tired, but really not too tough. We left 2 1/2 weeks after surgery for a12 hour drive and trip to the beach and he felt fine the whole time. A nap each afternoon p, but that was it.
                  KT
                  Participant
                    Thank you, that is very helpful and I appreciate your response. I hope that your husband is well. I noticed you posted about his craniotomy- good luck to you both, it sure sounds rough. Thanks again.
                    KT
                    Participant
                      Thank you, that is very helpful and I appreciate your response. I hope that your husband is well. I noticed you posted about his craniotomy- good luck to you both, it sure sounds rough. Thanks again.
                      KT
                      Participant
                      jmmm
                      Participant
                        My husband had a wedge resection in February. It was a scary sounding surgery, but the surgery itself wasn’t too bad. He spent 48 hours in a step down initial with all the monitors. For him the worst part was removing the chest tube. The nurse wasn’t very kind and was rushed…may be that was the problem? They said it would be like a Charlie horse..it was one of the most painful things he’s gone through so far, but it lasted only an a few seconds. He had the tube in for about 36 hours. He was able to walk with me carrying the plastic bucket behind him. They had him up and walking the morning after surgery. By that afternoon, he could fairly easily navigate down the hall. As for pain, they tried to give him an epidural, but he wouldn’t let them, he was on a morphine drip the first night and seemed to need a lot, but his pain tolerance in really low and by the next morning, he was on oral pills. As long as he kept up on the pills in the hospital, he was easily able to manage the pain. Only once or twice did it get too bad and he’d ask for more. We just reminded the nurse 30 minutes before he was due for pills, so he wouldN’t have to wait. Recovery itself wasn’t too bad for him. A week or less on pain pills, and tired, but really not too tough. We left 2 1/2 weeks after surgery for a12 hour drive and trip to the beach and he felt fine the whole time. A nap each afternoon p, but that was it.
                        jmmm
                        Participant
                          dearfoam
                          Participant

My dad had two lung biopsies, first one resulted in needing the chest tube after lung collapsed the following weekend. His chest tube was in place almost a week at which time he had second biopsy (1st was inconclusive, second came back Melanoma). The tube hurt going in (at ER) and coming out (in his hospital room), no easy way about it since it goes between ribs. He did some morphine but then was fine pain-wise after the tube was removed. He has a high tolernace but did holler, so just ask for the meds!!

Best of luck,

-DF

dearfoam
                            Participant

My dad had two lung biopsies, first one resulted in needing the chest tube after lung collapsed the following weekend. His chest tube was in place almost a week at which time he had second biopsy (1st was inconclusive, second came back Melanoma). The tube hurt going in (at ER) and coming out (in his hospital room), no easy way about it since it goes between ribs. He did some morphine but then was fine pain-wise after the tube was removed. He has a high tolernace but did holler, so just ask for the meds!!

Best of luck,

-DF

dearfoam
                              Participant

Best of luck,

-DF

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics