The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

lump size vs. melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community lump size vs. melanoma

Participant

Could someone explain to me dependence between a size of a lump and a melanoma thickness for Desmoplastic Melanoma? We have been told yesterday that there was 1mm melanoma on my friend's neck. It seems to be really thin melanoma according to the size of lump she had which was 10cmx7cm

Please bear in mind that above measurements are for a second lump as the first one was bigger and it has been removed without any margin because it was not diagnosed as melanoma

Karolina

Could someone explain to me dependence between a size of a lump and a melanoma thickness for Desmoplastic Melanoma? We have been told yesterday that there was 1mm melanoma on my friend's neck. It seems to be really thin melanoma according to the size of lump she had which was 10cmx7cm

Please bear in mind that above measurements are for a second lump as the first one was bigger and it has been removed without any margin because it was not diagnosed as melanoma

Karolina

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Without a pathology report, there really is no way to comment.  It's even hard to speculate without more information.  Sorry we can't be of more help.

Janner

Janner
          Participant

Without a pathology report, there really is no way to comment.  It's even hard to speculate without more information.  Sorry we can't be of more help.

Janner

Janner
            Participant

Janner

Charlie S
              Participant

As Janner correctly pointed out, some pathology details would be helpful.

That aside, With desmoplastic Melanoma, the lesion itself is often surrounded by large amounts of collagen.  

Just a guess on my part but I think that is what you are seeing here and causing your confusion…………….a large lump was removed that is primarily collagen with a relatively thin and actual DM lesion.attached…….just a guess mind you sans a path report to read.

I would kindly suggest that your friend get a second opinion,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and hence, probably more sophisticated read from a Dermapathologist.  

Nothing against a regular pathologist, but a dermapath simply has far more training, experience, knowledge and exposure to the intricacies of melanoma.  Even more so since DM is not easily diagnosed because it does not react to the usual staining of more common melanomas.

Some key features that would stand out in the path report for DM would be the presence of spindle cells, abundant collagen, and whether the lesion itself is with or without neurotropism.  It will take both specialized staining and sophisticated microscopic examiination for a solid and conclusive diagnosis.

As a side note, though DM can be agressive for LOCALIZED recurrence, it is not all that inclined for nodal metastasis.

I'm including a link for you that goes over some of the complexities involved to properly identify DM in the pathology setting.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/503442

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                Participant

That aside, With desmoplastic Melanoma, the lesion itself is often surrounded by large amounts of collagen.  

Just a guess on my part but I think that is what you are seeing here and causing your confusion…………….a large lump was removed that is primarily collagen with a relatively thin and actual DM lesion.attached…….just a guess mind you sans a path report to read.

I would kindly suggest that your friend get a second opinion,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and hence, probably more sophisticated read from a Dermapathologist.  

Nothing against a regular pathologist, but a dermapath simply has far more training, experience, knowledge and exposure to the intricacies of melanoma.  Even more so since DM is not easily diagnosed because it does not react to the usual staining of more common melanomas.

Some key features that would stand out in the path report for DM would be the presence of spindle cells, abundant collagen, and whether the lesion itself is with or without neurotropism.  It will take both specialized staining and sophisticated microscopic examiination for a solid and conclusive diagnosis.

As a side note, though DM can be agressive for LOCALIZED recurrence, it is not all that inclined for nodal metastasis.

I'm including a link for you that goes over some of the complexities involved to properly identify DM in the pathology setting.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                  Participant

Cheers,

Charlie S

CKasper
                    Participant

I noticed you haven't received any replies.  I can't help you.  I had a lump but mine was in my lymph system and at that time size did matter.  Good Luck….I hope you get some advice from someone who can help you.

CKasper
                      Participant

I noticed you haven't received any replies.  I can't help you.  I had a lump but mine was in my lymph system and at that time size did matter.  Good Luck….I hope you get some advice from someone who can help you.

CKasper
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics