The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lump in groin

Forums General Melanoma Community Lump in groin

Participant

Hi

i was diagnosed with subungual melanoma and had to have my toe amputated in 2006.  I have been fine since, however, I have been worried about a lump in my groin………the thing is, this morning the lump was a bit smaller  can I assume that it won't be anything serious due to reduction in size, and should I cancel my appointment with dermatologist ?

Thanks 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Smaller is good but I would probably keep the appointment so you derm can monitor that it is decreasing too. This is being cautious but not overly paranoid.  

Nanners10
            Participant
              Not to scare you but I would definitely keep the appt. I had melanoma in 2002 and it showed up as a lump in my going in 2014!. Better safe than sorryou. Good luck!
              Nanners10
              Participant
                Autocorrect, should read lump in my groin.
                Nanners10
                Participant
                  Nanners10
                  Participant
                    Nanners10
                    Participant
                      Not to scare you but I would definitely keep the appt. I had melanoma in 2002 and it showed up as a lump in my going in 2014!. Better safe than sorryou. Good luck!
                      Nanners10
                      Participant
                        Tamlin
                        Participant

Thank you, my derm appointment is on wed. I'll report back and let you know how I get on 

Tamlin
                          Participant

Thank you, my derm appointment is on wed. I'll report back and let you know how I get on 

Tamlin
                            Participant

Hi

just a quick update on how I got on at derm appointment. He examined the lump in my groin which I e had for 2 wks now and said he didn't think it was a lymph node, but given my history, he would arrange an ultrasound scan. I had my scan yesterday and have been told it is infact an enlarged lymph node, and that my consultant might want to do more tests.  I assume he means a biopsy. Good news is he couldn't find any more nodes in my groin

Should I insist on a biopsy if consultant suggest 'watch and see'.  Should I also insist on an open biopsy as I have read that fine needle biopsy isn't accurate (doesn't always detect cancer present )

Hikeratheart
                              Participant

Hi Tamlin, Can you give us  an update? I've also just discovered a lump/small bump in my groin. I'm  Stage 2b, & had a malignant tumor removed from my right arm, no lymph involvement in July 2015. Another lesion removed from my upper back at he same time, so two primaries. Thank, kathy

Hikeratheart
                                Participant

Hi Tamlin, Can you give us  an update? I've also just discovered a lump/small bump in my groin. I'm  Stage 2b, & had a malignant tumor removed from my right arm, no lymph involvement in July 2015. Another lesion removed from my upper back at he same time, so two primaries. Thank, kathy

Hikeratheart
                                  Participant

Hikeratheart
                                    Participant

Hikeratheart
                                      Participant

Hikeratheart
                                        Participant

Tamlin
                                          Participant

Hi

just a quick update on how I got on at derm appointment. He examined the lump in my groin which I e had for 2 wks now and said he didn't think it was a lymph node, but given my history, he would arrange an ultrasound scan. I had my scan yesterday and have been told it is infact an enlarged lymph node, and that my consultant might want to do more tests.  I assume he means a biopsy. Good news is he couldn't find any more nodes in my groin

Should I insist on a biopsy if consultant suggest 'watch and see'.  Should I also insist on an open biopsy as I have read that fine needle biopsy isn't accurate (doesn't always detect cancer present )

Tamlin
                                            Participant

Hi

Tamlin
                                              Participant

Janner
                                              Participant

Smaller is good but I would probably keep the appointment so you derm can monitor that it is decreasing too. This is being cautious but not overly paranoid.  

Janner
                                                Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics