The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Low Blood Platelets

Forums General Melanoma Community Low Blood Platelets

Participant
      Hi there,

Just finished a year of opdivo for stage 3c back at the end of September. All went fairly well…I’ve been having clear scans and the biggest issues I had during treatment was getting hypothyroidism, slight rash and being tired.

Anyway, fast forward to 2 weeks ago. I got my port out (yay!) as I just want to be done this season of my life. But I bled on and off for 2 weeks from the incision site. Also started getting really bad bruises on my legs for no apparent reason. A couple nights ago I woke up and my chest was drenched in blood from the port site. Went to cancer care emergency in the morning, got blood tests and it turns out that it was the opdivo that gave me low blood platelets which meant I couldn’t stop bleeding. So my question is, does the fact that I’m still getting symptoms from opdivo over 2 months after stopping treatment give me a better prognosis? And has anyone else had low blood platelets due to taking opdivo?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        MelMel
        Participant
          Based on the following study, I would say YES!!!
          https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6557745/
          “Daily administration of 60 mg of prednisolone restored the patient’s platelet count and platelet-associated IgG. We also found that there was significant shrinkage of the primary lesion and that stable disease was achieved. One must be aware of this relatively rare side effect and the unusual clinical findings that could be associated with immunoreaction.”
          The study is of a patient with non small cell lung tumor who received Opdivo. It is a rare side effect but apparently one associated with a positive outcome.
          Melanie
          ed williams
          Participant
            Hi there Anon, side effects can happen at any time during treatment and has been seen months to even as long as a year later after stopping with the combination of ipi+nivo or either as a monotherapy ipi or nivo. In the article that MelMel posted it stated nivo can be seen up to 20 weeks (5months) after therapy in the blood. I hope you have good scans going forward and the beast doesn’t come back and here is a short video from Dr. Postow and at the 2min 19 sec point he talks about bone marrow side effects. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=7IFNFeB3dn0&feature=emb_logo
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics