The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lost my dad yesterday

Forums General Melanoma Community Lost my dad yesterday

Participant
      On August 15th my dad found out he had stage IV melanoma that started on his scalp as a small lesion that grew to about half the size of a gold ball. He also had major liver involvement, hip, thigh, rib and skull bone activity, he also had lymphnode involvement behind the small intestines and small nodules in both lungs. Fast forward to this past week where he endured several scans and a surgery to repair a ruptured ulcer we found out he also had several brain mets that were bleeding that had not been there on the MRI 3 months earlier.

The only treatment my dad was able to receive during his short battle was 2 rounds of Opdivo which caused server liver toxicity so his oncologist had to end treatment. The next option was the BRAF combo but he had tested positive for V600R gene and caremark initially denied the meds but with the help of Dr Sosman and his regular oncologist they finally agreed last Friday to approve them for him but unfortunately it was too late. His body was just too weak for anymore treatment, he hadn’t eaten or drank much at all in ten days and the brain mets had bled causing him to lose his speech for a day until the meds were able to shrink the swelling of his brain. His speech returned which we were so grateful for so we could communicate in his last days but it was clear the end was near.

We started palliative care yesterday around 9am and my dear dad passed at 1:48 pm Oct, 22 2015. He fought hard but just couldn’t win this battle. I now know more about melanoma than I care to and wanted to thank everyone on this form for all the hope, inspiration and info you’ve provided over the past several months. My hopes prayers are with each of you fighting this nasty disease.

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        Millykamp
        Participant

I am so sorry to hear. My prayers are with you and your family

Millykamp
          Participant

yazziemac
              Participant

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I lost my husband in May, 2015.  Wisheing peace and comfort for you and your family.

Yasmin

yazziemac
                Participant

I'm so sorry for your loss.  I lost my husband in May, 2015.  Wisheing peace and comfort for you and your family.

Yasmin

yazziemac
                  Participant

Yasmin

Momofjake
                    Participant

Just read your husbands story. It's just unreal how this cancer robs us of our people. I am really sorry. I know how dark and heavy it can feel. My 18yr old son is still fighting. I am just going to enjoy each day….I think God has a plan. We all have a unique journey. When melanoma becomes a part of your journey it really sucks!

i hope you are okay. 

Love to you, 

Kerri–mom of Jake

Momofjake
                      Participant

Just read your husbands story. It's just unreal how this cancer robs us of our people. I am really sorry. I know how dark and heavy it can feel. My 18yr old son is still fighting. I am just going to enjoy each day….I think God has a plan. We all have a unique journey. When melanoma becomes a part of your journey it really sucks!

i hope you are okay. 

Love to you, 

Kerri–mom of Jake

Momofjake
                        Participant

i hope you are okay. 

Love to you, 

Kerri–mom of Jake

Momofjake
                          Participant

i hope you are okay. 

Love to you, 

Kerri–mom of Jake

Momofjake
                            Participant

i hope you are okay. 

Love to you, 

Kerri–mom of Jake

Momofjake
                              Participant

i hope you are okay. 

Love to you, 

Kerri–mom of Jake

Millykamp
                              Participant

jbronicki
                                Participant

So very sorry for your loss.  I've lost both parents, not to melanoma, and it's a pretty overwhelming experience.  Many hugs to you and your family and good job on being such a good advocate for your father.  my condolences

jbronicki
                                  Participant

So very sorry for your loss.  I've lost both parents, not to melanoma, and it's a pretty overwhelming experience.  Many hugs to you and your family and good job on being such a good advocate for your father.  my condolences

jbronicki
                                    Participant

jbronicki
                                      Participant

jbronicki
                                        Participant

jbronicki
                                          Participant

jamieth29
                                            Participant
                                              Jaso2r,
                                              I’m sorry. Its so hard to know what to say when I read these posts. This disease sucks. I read of someone that referred to their cancer not winning even if they die the cancer will also die with them. So in the end your dad wins. I’m so sorry you had to go through this with him.
                                              jamieth29
                                              Participant
                                                Jaso2r,
                                                I’m sorry. Its so hard to know what to say when I read these posts. This disease sucks. I read of someone that referred to their cancer not winning even if they die the cancer will also die with them. So in the end your dad wins. I’m so sorry you had to go through this with him.
                                                jamieth29
                                                Participant
                                                  Jaso2r,
                                                  arthurjedi007
                                                  Participant

So sorry for your loss. Stupid awful disease. I hate it so much.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                    Participant

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                      Participant

Artie

evieg
                                                        Participant

So sorry for your loss. This is just an awful disease….my husband is starting Hospice today. You are in my prayers.

evieg
                                                          Participant

So sorry for your loss. This is just an awful disease….my husband is starting Hospice today. You are in my prayers.

evieg
                                                            Participant

emagdnim83
                                                              Participant

I am very sorry for your loss. My dad starts palliative care at home tomorrow. Melanoma really sucks. 

emagdnim83
                                                                Participant

I am very sorry for your loss. My dad starts palliative care at home tomorrow. Melanoma really sucks. 

emagdnim83
                                                                  Participant

Momofjake
                                                                    Participant

I just read your sad news. I am so sorry. This sickness is a respecter of no one. It's a thief. I will pray for your family. The people here know suffering and heartache. We don't talk about that part much, we share hope and strengthen each other…but when we read about a loss, we KNOW. 

Love to you. Thank you for sharing. 

Kerri–mom of Jake

Momofjake
                                                                      Participant

I just read your sad news. I am so sorry. This sickness is a respecter of no one. It's a thief. I will pray for your family. The people here know suffering and heartache. We don't talk about that part much, we share hope and strengthen each other…but when we read about a loss, we KNOW. 

Kerri–mom of Jake

Momofjake
                                                                        Participant

Kerri–mom of Jake

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics