The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lost my dad last night…

Forums General Melanoma Community Lost my dad last night…

Participant

To say I'm devastated would be an understatment. My dad first found out he had melanoma in late 2008 when my mom discovered a large mole on his back that was half red and half black. He immediately went to the doctor and they removed it…it was stage 2 I believe at that point. By March 2011 he was stage 3 and by early fall 2011 he was stage 4. He did several rounds of Temodar, Yervoy and radiation and nothing would slow this beast down.

To say I'm devastated would be an understatment. My dad first found out he had melanoma in late 2008 when my mom discovered a large mole on his back that was half red and half black. He immediately went to the doctor and they removed it…it was stage 2 I believe at that point. By March 2011 he was stage 3 and by early fall 2011 he was stage 4. He did several rounds of Temodar, Yervoy and radiation and nothing would slow this beast down.

Watching him go through all of this pain and suffering has been excrutiating to say the least. I hate this disease and what it did to him. The only comfort I've been able to find is that he is out of pain and is in paradise…pain free, next to God. I will see him again. He'll be up there waiting on me. It is my life mission to spread the word about this terrible cancer. There needs to be more public knowlege on how serious and deadly melanoma.

I hate this.

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        jag
        Participant

Anna, I am sorry to hear about the painful loss of your father.  I can't imagine what watching a loved one getting savaged by this disease is like.  I pray that you will have the strength to get through all of this, and that you will be vigilant to prevent this disease from getting to you in the future.

There are good things in life, and you have a lot to live for (especially since it seems like you have a very big heart)

God Bless

John

jag
          Participant

Anna, I am sorry to hear about the painful loss of your father.  I can't imagine what watching a loved one getting savaged by this disease is like.  I pray that you will have the strength to get through all of this, and that you will be vigilant to prevent this disease from getting to you in the future.

There are good things in life, and you have a lot to live for (especially since it seems like you have a very big heart)

God Bless

John

jag
            Participant

God Bless

John

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Anna, I am so sorry to read this. I lost my wife to this horrible disease in 2009, and therefore have some idea of what you might be experiencing. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Anna, I am so sorry to read this. I lost my wife to this horrible disease in 2009, and therefore have some idea of what you might be experiencing. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                  Participant

Frank from Australia

aldakota22
                    Participant

So sorry  for your dads passing.I know how painful that is.At least he is no longer in pain.My prayers to you and your family.We all hate this beast.    Al

aldakota22
                      Participant

So sorry  for your dads passing.I know how painful that is.At least he is no longer in pain.My prayers to you and your family.We all hate this beast.    Al

deardad
                          Participant

Im so sorry to hear that news. I am also a daughter caring for my dad who is currently stage 4 with progression in the brain and body. I cannot imagine life without him. I really feel for your and family as you go through this very difficult time. I don't think you can ever get over loss of a dear loved one, you just learn to live with it. 

My sincere condolences.

Nahmi 

deardad
                            Participant

Im so sorry to hear that news. I am also a daughter caring for my dad who is currently stage 4 with progression in the brain and body. I cannot imagine life without him. I really feel for your and family as you go through this very difficult time. I don't think you can ever get over loss of a dear loved one, you just learn to live with it. 

My sincere condolences.

Nahmi 

deardad
                              Participant

My sincere condolences.

Nahmi 

aldakota22
                              Participant

susanr
                                Participant

Anna,

I am so sorry about your Dad.  I have a loved one also fighting this beast.  It is very hard.  I do believe time heals all wounds.  You are correct that he is in a better place and that you will see him again…it is just a temporary seperation.

susanr
                                  Participant

Anna,

I am so sorry about your Dad.  I have a loved one also fighting this beast.  It is very hard.  I do believe time heals all wounds.  You are correct that he is in a better place and that you will see him again…it is just a temporary seperation.

susanr
                                    Participant

Anna,

Gene_S
                                      Participant

Anna I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad.  I am praying for you and your family.  I lost my Dad many years ago to lung cancer and my husband has also lost his father.  The pain is gone and he is at peace now with no more mel to fight.  I am sure he is looking down and smiling at you for your bravery.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver of Gene)

Gene_S
                                        Participant

Anna I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad.  I am praying for you and your family.  I lost my Dad many years ago to lung cancer and my husband has also lost his father.  The pain is gone and he is at peace now with no more mel to fight.  I am sure he is looking down and smiling at you for your bravery.

Gene_S
                                          Participant

hopefortomorrow
                                            Participant

Dear Anna,

I feel your pain and loss.  I just lost my mother 3 weeks ago to melanoma.  We had her home on hospice for 2 weeks before she passed and it was terrible to watch such a once energetic, loving, and brave person succumb to this disease.  She also tried Temodar, radiation, IL2, and finally Zelboraf but everything just kept growing and finally metastasized to her brain.  She quickly went down hill after having the brain tumor removed.  Our whole family is paralyzed by her absence but we know she will be waiting for us in Heaven.  Thank God she is not in pain anymore and neither is your father.  I know God has a special place for those who fight this cancer.  My Mom always asked why nobody even knew what melanoma was.  The two papers we had her obituary in spelled it wrong.  I intend to make it a priority to educate people about this disease.  I always get so irritated when people say to me, "Girl, you need to get a tan." (I have red hair, green eyes and pale white skin.)  I say "No thanks, I love my white skin and hate melanoma."  I will be grieving with you.  My Mom had just turned 68 and left behind my 2 little girls, ages 3 and 5, whom she loved dearly.  She fought so hard to beat this disease so she could watch them grow up.  Now she is their guardian angel.

hopefortomorrow
                                              Participant

Dear Anna,

I feel your pain and loss.  I just lost my mother 3 weeks ago to melanoma.  We had her home on hospice for 2 weeks before she passed and it was terrible to watch such a once energetic, loving, and brave person succumb to this disease.  She also tried Temodar, radiation, IL2, and finally Zelboraf but everything just kept growing and finally metastasized to her brain.  She quickly went down hill after having the brain tumor removed.  Our whole family is paralyzed by her absence but we know she will be waiting for us in Heaven.  Thank God she is not in pain anymore and neither is your father.  I know God has a special place for those who fight this cancer.  My Mom always asked why nobody even knew what melanoma was.  The two papers we had her obituary in spelled it wrong.  I intend to make it a priority to educate people about this disease.  I always get so irritated when people say to me, "Girl, you need to get a tan." (I have red hair, green eyes and pale white skin.)  I say "No thanks, I love my white skin and hate melanoma."  I will be grieving with you.  My Mom had just turned 68 and left behind my 2 little girls, ages 3 and 5, whom she loved dearly.  She fought so hard to beat this disease so she could watch them grow up.  Now she is their guardian angel.

hopefortomorrow
                                                Participant

Dear Anna,

jnaakins
                                                  Participant

Ana, I am soo very sorry for your loss. I just replied to your earlier thread about your melanoma in situ and I had no idea you'd since lost your father. Again, I am just so sorry. Hugs.

jnaakins
                                                    Participant

Ana, I am soo very sorry for your loss. I just replied to your earlier thread about your melanoma in situ and I had no idea you'd since lost your father. Again, I am just so sorry. Hugs.

jnaakins
                                                      Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                        Participant

Dear Anna, I am proud of you for being with and helping your Father.  Time will ease the intensity of the pain but the hole will always be there while you are on this earth.  As you stated, the one good thing is that he is no longer hurting.

JerryfromFauq
                                                          Participant

Dear Anna, I am proud of you for being with and helping your Father.  Time will ease the intensity of the pain but the hole will always be there while you are on this earth.  As you stated, the one good thing is that he is no longer hurting.

JerryfromFauq
                                                            Participant

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics