The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Looking for some positivity while waiting for biopsy results

Forums General Melanoma Community Looking for some positivity while waiting for biopsy results

Participant
      Hi all, currently waiting on two biopsies (neck and ear) and honestly spiraling out/not coping. Trying to look after my two kiddos but just an absolute mess at the moment.

I have had a lesion on my neck since at least 2017. That year I had a spot check but it was never biopsied, and have had at least 5 full skin checks since including earlier this year but it may have been missed under my hair . It is now discolored and asymmentrical and I have no idea how long it has been like this?

The lesion on my ear is alarming me even more as it appears to be nodular. Have been looking for something else that it could be but nothing adds up given the shape, duration, location, etc. This has also been there potentially for years as it is in a very sneaky spot (folds of the ear).

I am aware that melanoma can spread aggressively, particularly nodular, so I guess I am just trying to find some positive stories from people who have had melanoma or nodular melanoma for a long while undiagnosed and how they are coping.

I’m such a mess. Thanks.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bobman
        Participant
          Hey AC welcome to the forum,  and sorry about the stressing while awaiting the biopsy results. Everyone here can relate to that. It just sucks. But the positive in this is you have taken action,  got the biopsies,  and will be cared for whatever the results. Most here would suggest you stay off the internet during this waiting period for results, then when armed with whatever pathology comes back, make an informed decision about what’s next. There are folks here with just about every kind of melanoma possible,  but without the pathology,  no use trying to guess what you may, or may not have yet. Hard to do that though…for sure.

I’ve had quite a few primary melanomas.  Every shape, size, and color of the rainbow.  Some I just freaked out about knowing it was going to be bad, then turned out to be nothing.  You just never know until you know the pathology.  I only reiterate this because we all understand the waiting,  the places the mind wanders to…its a wild ride. You’re in good company around here.

Let us know the results of your biopsies,  and rest assure any questions that come up for you can be answered around this joint! Another positive is that you’ll undoubtedly be extra vigilant on anything that may pop in the future.  Once we start getting cut on it sharpens our focus.

Could be nothing at all to worry about. Stay in touch.

Aloha

Bob

JudiAU
          Participant
            I’m sorry. You just have to wait until you have biopsy results. And then breathe or react. We will be here when you have results to adjust to or rejoice about.
            tedtell1
            Participant
              Hi AC; as has already been said, unfortunately we have all been in the position of waiting on biopsies. I have had the unfortunate experience of only being diagnosed after what was thought to be an infected cyst well under the skin, and we never found the primary spot. Since I have had many “suspicious” moles removed and biopsied. None were melanoma, despite looking really funky. I hope the same applies to you. So do your best to experience the joy of your kiddos and a holiday until you know for sure what is going on. We will be here for you, whether your biopsy is positive or not. Happy Holidays,

Ted :yes:

almostalice
              Participant
                Anxiety over test results is the worst. At the same time if they were punch biopsies or regular cuts, there’s the constant reminder right there.

Know that you did the right thing and that you’re taking care of business. It’s hard to feel in control and what I used to do was focus on my hobbies.

I’ve had ones where the derm was more concerned than I was and I was like well ok if you must take it but I think it’s fine and I’ve had ones that had me on the phone checking in for results too early.

Danielle T
                Participant
                  I agree that it’s good you’ve had the biopsies. I just had my second primary and am also freaking out as I have both new moles and changed moles in other places on my body.  My doctor has looked at them under the dermascope and reminded me that moles do change and we can even develop new ones and have it be fine, which he believes these are. I still insisted on a biopsy but wanted you to know not everything that’s changing is melanoma. Let us know the results.
                  Danielle T
                  Participant
                    Just reread my last post ….I meant to say everything that is changing is NOT melanoma
                    almostalice
                    Participant
                      Danielle, that’s right. Out of the 12 to 15 moles I have had removed 3 were staged melanoma and 1 insitu. Some of them look like they could be something and turn out to be fine.
                      Danielle T
                      Participant
                        I wanted to follow up with the results of my biopsy of a mole that appeared in the my late 30s and I was just informed it is benign. Melanoma patients have to be vigilant in getting anything new or changed examined by a doctor but it’s not always bad news.
                    Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics