The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

looking for some experience, strength and hope. just diagnosed with lung mets recurrence

Forums General Melanoma Community looking for some experience, strength and hope. just diagnosed with lung mets recurrence

Participant

I started coming to this board last June when I was diagnosed with a lymphnode recurrence from a melanoma removed in 1995. i had 17 lymph nodes removed only1 was malignant but there was capsular penetration (I think that's what it was called). I had the first 10 days of Interferon infusion in november that beat me up pretty bad and my oncologist and i both agreed to stop. I also have recurrent prostate cancer related to Agent Orange exposures and residuals from radiation treatment for that.

I started coming to this board last June when I was diagnosed with a lymphnode recurrence from a melanoma removed in 1995. i had 17 lymph nodes removed only1 was malignant but there was capsular penetration (I think that's what it was called). I had the first 10 days of Interferon infusion in november that beat me up pretty bad and my oncologist and i both agreed to stop. I also have recurrent prostate cancer related to Agent Orange exposures and residuals from radiation treatment for that.

Fast forward to yesterday – for about a week I've had a dry cough that felt different than any cough i've had so i called my PC and he referred me for a chest xray and wet read. about 4 yesterday afteroon he called me at the clinic and told me I had multiple masses and nodules in my lungs and set me up for an appt with my medical oncologist tomorrow at 9 am. i can tell the cancer has grown in the last week, i can' take a full breath and hold it without coughing. i suspect that multiple masses and nodules is not the same as scan identified mets so i'm more than a little worried. i've searched the posts here for folks who've posted about lung mets and treatments and would love to hear more about what's worked. I know I'm now beyond the "found it in a lymph node stage" but i see many stage IV folks here who are faring well. My hope, frankly, is for a few more good years. we've been planning a trip to Kenya this summer where our son is in the Peace Corps, and I desperately want to make that trip and i'd like to live long enough to be here when he returns in 18 months. . we have 2 young grandchildren 2 1/2 and 6 months and i'd like to see a lot more of them. and I've been retired for 9 months in hopes of racing a 65 Barracuda my youngest son and I started working on 7 years ago. so i'm praying and staying positive and scared sh#*less right now. thank you.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

A lot of strides have been made in melanoma treatment, especially over the past year. Two new drugs have been approved for Stage IV melanoma just over the past year: Yervoy and Zelboraf. I hope that just knowing that takes a load off your mind. There also are some promising clinical trials going on right now. Some folks are responding well to IL-2 treatments.

There's a PD1 trial by Merck that is promising. Someone here recently posted a note about lung mets shrinking while on the drug.

Here's an inspiring story of someone with lung mets: http://www.melanoma.org/community/patient-stories/bob-heffernan

Folks with lung mets have also responded to Yervoy and Zelboraf.

But, the thing to remember is that each of us are individuals — some do better on certain drugs than others do.

There are not guarantees, of course, but there are options now that didn't exist in 1995!!! Options are good!!!!

Linny
          Participant

A lot of strides have been made in melanoma treatment, especially over the past year. Two new drugs have been approved for Stage IV melanoma just over the past year: Yervoy and Zelboraf. I hope that just knowing that takes a load off your mind. There also are some promising clinical trials going on right now. Some folks are responding well to IL-2 treatments.

There's a PD1 trial by Merck that is promising. Someone here recently posted a note about lung mets shrinking while on the drug.

Here's an inspiring story of someone with lung mets: http://www.melanoma.org/community/patient-stories/bob-heffernan

But, the thing to remember is that each of us are individuals — some do better on certain drugs than others do.

There are not guarantees, of course, but there are options now that didn't exist in 1995!!! Options are good!!!!

Linny
            Participant

cltml
              Participant

Like you, a chest x-ray prescribed after a dry cough led to the finding of two large masses.  Mine are in the right hylum and the subcarinal space.

Good advice is given above concerning drugs available.  I personally have experience with IL2.  I was a mixed responder to IL2, with one tumor shrinking and the other growing.  It was a relief to have one of them shrink by 60%.  It improved my quality of life.  It's a tough treatment with two one-week periods in the hospital being observed as you get the IL2.  Do not write this off just because it's rough.  It provides a durable response to those who do respond.  I would recommend that you have it administered at a Melanoma center of excellence by an experienced Melanoma oncologist.

I've moved on to ipi now.  Too early to tell on that.

I would also recommend that you find the very best thoracic surgeon that you can to give you an opinion on a thoracotomy and removal of the masses.  They may tell you that the masses are non-resectable, but at least you will know.  Cutting them out gets you to NED (no evidence of disease) or at least reduces the tumor burden for the drugs.

Good luck

cltml

cltml
                Participant

Like you, a chest x-ray prescribed after a dry cough led to the finding of two large masses.  Mine are in the right hylum and the subcarinal space.

Good advice is given above concerning drugs available.  I personally have experience with IL2.  I was a mixed responder to IL2, with one tumor shrinking and the other growing.  It was a relief to have one of them shrink by 60%.  It improved my quality of life.  It's a tough treatment with two one-week periods in the hospital being observed as you get the IL2.  Do not write this off just because it's rough.  It provides a durable response to those who do respond.  I would recommend that you have it administered at a Melanoma center of excellence by an experienced Melanoma oncologist.

I would also recommend that you find the very best thoracic surgeon that you can to give you an opinion on a thoracotomy and removal of the masses.  They may tell you that the masses are non-resectable, but at least you will know.  Cutting them out gets you to NED (no evidence of disease) or at least reduces the tumor burden for the drugs.

Good luck

cltml

cltml
                  Participant

Good luck

cltml

Richard_K
                    Participant

I could have written part of your post.  My melanoma was originally back in 1998 and when it advanced to my lungs, it too was found with an x-ray ordered by my PCP. Your current symtoms are exactly what I experienced but are now in the distant past.  I also have prostate cancer but from what I have been able to determine through VA, no Agent Orange exposure.

Anyway, the previous posts offer excellent ideas, the only thing I can add is to get tested for BRAF.

Best of luck.

Dick

Richard_K
                      Participant

I could have written part of your post.  My melanoma was originally back in 1998 and when it advanced to my lungs, it too was found with an x-ray ordered by my PCP. Your current symtoms are exactly what I experienced but are now in the distant past.  I also have prostate cancer but from what I have been able to determine through VA, no Agent Orange exposure.

Anyway, the previous posts offer excellent ideas, the only thing I can add is to get tested for BRAF.

Best of luck.

Dick

Richard_K
                        Participant

Best of luck.

Dick

LynnLuc
                          Participant

I also had that cough before I was dx'ed…mine was in  the mediasteinem  at the top of my lungs, pressing against the superior vena cava…..I am stage 4 and  NED for 2 years and 2 days.  Maybe  radiation and then doing Yervoy…it was recently found to do some miracles.

I had radiation, Temodar and then surgery. I found a trial at Moffitt and   then   I did two 12 weeks of MDX-1106 (BMS Anti PD-1) and  peptides trial.  I continue now  with anti pd 1 infusion every 3 months as a booster to keep it away. I will do this booster phase for a total of 2 years. My doc says if I remain NED  we will consider keeping me on it indefinately. No biig side effects at all….a walk in the park actually.

My friend is doing the same trial but is considered a sister trial and is not NED -but it has shrunk large melanomas in her chest, under her arm  etc etc….she is doing awesome!

LynnLuc
                            Participant

I also had that cough before I was dx'ed…mine was in  the mediasteinem  at the top of my lungs, pressing against the superior vena cava…..I am stage 4 and  NED for 2 years and 2 days.  Maybe  radiation and then doing Yervoy…it was recently found to do some miracles.

I had radiation, Temodar and then surgery. I found a trial at Moffitt and   then   I did two 12 weeks of MDX-1106 (BMS Anti PD-1) and  peptides trial.  I continue now  with anti pd 1 infusion every 3 months as a booster to keep it away. I will do this booster phase for a total of 2 years. My doc says if I remain NED  we will consider keeping me on it indefinately. No biig side effects at all….a walk in the park actually.

My friend is doing the same trial but is considered a sister trial and is not NED -but it has shrunk large melanomas in her chest, under her arm  etc etc….she is doing awesome!

LynnLuc
                              Participant

H555
                                Participant

thanks everyone. just got home from my oncologist visit. I do have the BRAF mutation, my surgical onc at OHSU had me tested last summer. I start Zelboraf in 10 days, or as quickly as they can get it to me. I'll post how this works. i've got my fingers crossed and know there are other alternatives if the Zelboraf stops working at some point in the future. I choose to believe it will help me for a long time. i so appreciate the replies from you all.

H555
                                  Participant

thanks everyone. just got home from my oncologist visit. I do have the BRAF mutation, my surgical onc at OHSU had me tested last summer. I start Zelboraf in 10 days, or as quickly as they can get it to me. I'll post how this works. i've got my fingers crossed and know there are other alternatives if the Zelboraf stops working at some point in the future. I choose to believe it will help me for a long time. i so appreciate the replies from you all.

H555
                                    Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics