The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Looking for change of lifestyle, can anyone help me?

Forums General Melanoma Community Looking for change of lifestyle, can anyone help me?

Participant

what's up,

what's up,

I was just curious as to whether anyone out there can point me to a website or a book that would offer a low sugar diet, I'm looking to wean myself off of sugar laden foods. I've looked at some sites but don't know how legit they are. I really am looking fore a list of foods that contain hidden sugar also, you know foods that you might not think have sugar but do. Also I'm looking for a list of supplements that would help with melanoma specifically, I'm taking a bunch but I just wanted some feedback from people on this website so many I can trim down to the essentials. I'm currently taking carnitine, inositol, vitamin  e, b-12, selenium, co-q10,flaxseed, fishoil,dhea,vitamin d, melatonin, cucurmin… I think that's it. Anyhow if anyone has anything to add, I'd appreciate any insight        

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Minnesota
        Participant

Hi,

I am following The Insulin-Resistance Diet (authors Hart and Grossman). It's aimed at pre-diabetic people (which I am not).

The entire concept is balancing carbohydrates and proteins to stabilize blood sugar levels, and eating healthy. It isn't drastic, but more of learning process of the types of foods that should be eaten together to prevent spikes in glucose blood levels. 

My doctor does not want me to take supplements, he wants me to obtain what I need through my diet. This book has been the most helpful so far. There are suggestions for losing weight, maintaining weight and gaining weight, so it's not really a "diet" book. It's on Amazon and in all book stores in paperback.

Minnesota
          Participant

Hi,

I am following The Insulin-Resistance Diet (authors Hart and Grossman). It's aimed at pre-diabetic people (which I am not).

The entire concept is balancing carbohydrates and proteins to stabilize blood sugar levels, and eating healthy. It isn't drastic, but more of learning process of the types of foods that should be eaten together to prevent spikes in glucose blood levels. 

My doctor does not want me to take supplements, he wants me to obtain what I need through my diet. This book has been the most helpful so far. There are suggestions for losing weight, maintaining weight and gaining weight, so it's not really a "diet" book. It's on Amazon and in all book stores in paperback.

Minnesota
            Participant

Hi,

SuzannefromCA
              Participant
                I like the books by Kris Carr, Crazy, Sexy, Cancer and Crazy Sexy Diet. She is a cancer survivor who’s cancer was untreatable so she altered her lifestyle in a major way. She will have another book out soon, Crazy Sexy Sexy Smoothies. I think that’s what it’s called.
                SuzannefromCA
                Participant
                  I like the books by Kris Carr, Crazy, Sexy, Cancer and Crazy Sexy Diet. She is a cancer survivor who’s cancer was untreatable so she altered her lifestyle in a major way. She will have another book out soon, Crazy Sexy Sexy Smoothies. I think that’s what it’s called.
                  SuzannefromCA
                  Participant
                    Tracy Seattle
                    Participant
                      I love Kris Carr as well. Another good book is Anti-Cancer it has a lot of good information. Another resource is Jeanne Wallace, PHD, CNC, she does presentations on nutrition for cancer patients. I saw her present with Rebecca Katz, MS. Rebecca has 2 cookbooks, The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen and One Bite At A Time. Jeanne presented her talk titled “Evidence-Based Nutritional Strategies”. Her presentation included how nutrition influences gene expression. Her presentation was not specific to Melanoma but it was very good with study references.

As far as supplements I would research Zinc and Magnesium as well. Also, PectaSol-C which is a modified citrus pectin has research showing that it helps with metastasis by binding to galectin-3 which can be high in cancer patients.

Stress management is another area to consider in a wellness approach. For me that is probably one of the things I struggle with the most. Cancer is stressful. I think it is important to try to get it in check. I also bought a series of CDs called Cancer as a Turning Point. It had several talks from doctors to cancer survivors and their journeys. I personally enjoyed them very much.

Hope you find something here that is helpful. Good luck on your journey of healing.

Tracy Seattle
                      Participant
                        I love Kris Carr as well. Another good book is Anti-Cancer it has a lot of good information. Another resource is Jeanne Wallace, PHD, CNC, she does presentations on nutrition for cancer patients. I saw her present with Rebecca Katz, MS. Rebecca has 2 cookbooks, The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen and One Bite At A Time. Jeanne presented her talk titled “Evidence-Based Nutritional Strategies”. Her presentation included how nutrition influences gene expression. Her presentation was not specific to Melanoma but it was very good with study references.

As far as supplements I would research Zinc and Magnesium as well. Also, PectaSol-C which is a modified citrus pectin has research showing that it helps with metastasis by binding to galectin-3 which can be high in cancer patients.

Stress management is another area to consider in a wellness approach. For me that is probably one of the things I struggle with the most. Cancer is stressful. I think it is important to try to get it in check. I also bought a series of CDs called Cancer as a Turning Point. It had several talks from doctors to cancer survivors and their journeys. I personally enjoyed them very much.

Hope you find something here that is helpful. Good luck on your journey of healing.

Tracy Seattle
                        Participant

washoegal
                          Participant

The only supplement that has been clinically proven to help melanoma is Vitamin D.  I personally believe cucurmin is great for the immune system in general.  Some of the others, like fish oil are good for other things like the heart but watch out also blood thinner so please know what you are taking.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                            Participant

The only supplement that has been clinically proven to help melanoma is Vitamin D.  I personally believe cucurmin is great for the immune system in general.  Some of the others, like fish oil are good for other things like the heart but watch out also blood thinner so please know what you are taking.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                              Participant

Mary

Stage 3

LynnLuc
                                Participant

I am in a clinical trial at Moffitt doing vaccine trial with anti pd -1 and peptides….and the endocrinologist put me on 50,000 units of Vit D-3  weekly for 3 months. He said most people with melanoma have low vit D levels. Funny how the sun gives us vitamin D and yet it also can cause melanoma….Vit D boosts the immune system.

LynnLuc
                                  Participant

I am in a clinical trial at Moffitt doing vaccine trial with anti pd -1 and peptides….and the endocrinologist put me on 50,000 units of Vit D-3  weekly for 3 months. He said most people with melanoma have low vit D levels. Funny how the sun gives us vitamin D and yet it also can cause melanoma….Vit D boosts the immune system.

gtown
                                      Participant

thanks to everyone who responded, I'll be getting on amazon tomorrow to look up those books, and I'll definitely be checking into those supplements you've mentioned. I'm always amazed at the info I can get here, I guess I should get used to it, you guys are the pros.     

gtown
                                        Participant

thanks to everyone who responded, I'll be getting on amazon tomorrow to look up those books, and I'll definitely be checking into those supplements you've mentioned. I'm always amazed at the info I can get here, I guess I should get used to it, you guys are the pros.     

gtown
                                          Participant

LynnLuc
                                          Participant

natasha
                                            Participant

Hi ! I decided to take supplements – Garlic 1000 mg and Vitabiotics Antioxidants IMMUNACE with all vitamin D,A,E,K,C. ZINC IRON .

I AM NOT SURE CAN IT HELP OR NOT ,BUT I HOPE SO

natasha
                                              Participant

Hi ! I decided to take supplements – Garlic 1000 mg and Vitabiotics Antioxidants IMMUNACE with all vitamin D,A,E,K,C. ZINC IRON .

natasha
                                                Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics