The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Long-term / side effects of steroids?

Forums General Melanoma Community Long-term / side effects of steroids?

Participant

Hi all,

Just did a search on this forum about steroids as I've been on and off them for the past 5 months, and am currently on another fairly long dose of them. Starting to get concerned about the short and/or long term side effects of taking predisone for the side effects of ipi/nivo. (like so many health issues, one complication leads to another…)

Has anyone learned (by either research or the hard way!) what to look out for, and if there's anything one can do naturally to counterbalance whatever havoc steroids tend to unleash on one's system?

Many thanks in advance for any advice –

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kengeo3
        Participant

Hi Maria–I had four infusions of nivo+ipi in early 2014 on a clinical trial and had severe side effects which were treated with large and ongoing doses of prednisone.  With me, the prednisone resulted in muscle loss, and a certain amount of bone loss (osteopenia).    Some people gain a lot of weight on them, but I didn't.   It's important to excercise as much as you can, especially weight bearing exercises, and make sure you are getting plenty of calcium, magnesium, vit D etc. for your bones.  At some point in the future you may want to have a bone density scan (no radiation) done.

Hopefully, you will get off of the prednisone soon.   My last bout of T cell rampage was about 3 months after my last infusion.    Large doses of prednison also suppresses the immune system, which seems ironic, since you want your immune system killing the cancer, but from what I understand, the docs don't believe that it affects the efficacy of the treatment.  In my case, my T cells infiltrated lots of different places, and neither my thyroid nor my adrenal glands work anymore, so I am on replacement synthroid and hydrocortisone, and I'm doing pretty well.  

Good luck,  Ken

Kengeo3
          Participant

Hi Maria–I had four infusions of nivo+ipi in early 2014 on a clinical trial and had severe side effects which were treated with large and ongoing doses of prednisone.  With me, the prednisone resulted in muscle loss, and a certain amount of bone loss (osteopenia).    Some people gain a lot of weight on them, but I didn't.   It's important to excercise as much as you can, especially weight bearing exercises, and make sure you are getting plenty of calcium, magnesium, vit D etc. for your bones.  At some point in the future you may want to have a bone density scan (no radiation) done.

Hopefully, you will get off of the prednisone soon.   My last bout of T cell rampage was about 3 months after my last infusion.    Large doses of prednison also suppresses the immune system, which seems ironic, since you want your immune system killing the cancer, but from what I understand, the docs don't believe that it affects the efficacy of the treatment.  In my case, my T cells infiltrated lots of different places, and neither my thyroid nor my adrenal glands work anymore, so I am on replacement synthroid and hydrocortisone, and I'm doing pretty well.  

Good luck,  Ken

Maria C
              Participant

Ken, thank you for sharing, and I will definitely follow up with my oncologist about whether supplements for calcium, magnesium, Vit D, etc. are OK – I want to get clearance before I take anything else, as so much is in my system now and who knows what messes with what…

Really appreciate your encouragement to exercise, which is long overdue because of the pneuminotis, and that is one GOOD thing about the steroids is that I can breathe more freely to get out and about. 

Glad to hear that you are doing well despite the thyroid and adrenal glands shutting down….can't imagine. How long were you on predisone each time after the 4 infusions? After my first, I had a severe reaction that led to about 6 weeks of steroid treatment, after the 2nd, just a quick burst of one week, and now after the 4th, again another 6 week round (starting at 80 mg and tapering down, am on 40 now).

All best –

Maria C
                Participant

Ken, thank you for sharing, and I will definitely follow up with my oncologist about whether supplements for calcium, magnesium, Vit D, etc. are OK – I want to get clearance before I take anything else, as so much is in my system now and who knows what messes with what…

Really appreciate your encouragement to exercise, which is long overdue because of the pneuminotis, and that is one GOOD thing about the steroids is that I can breathe more freely to get out and about. 

Glad to hear that you are doing well despite the thyroid and adrenal glands shutting down….can't imagine. How long were you on predisone each time after the 4 infusions? After my first, I had a severe reaction that led to about 6 weeks of steroid treatment, after the 2nd, just a quick burst of one week, and now after the 4th, again another 6 week round (starting at 80 mg and tapering down, am on 40 now).

All best –

Maria C
                  Participant

All best –

Kengeo3
                  Participant

Good luck,  Ken

DZnDef
                    Participant

Hi Maria,

I was on Prednisone (ranging from 10-40mg/day) for one year and 3 months when I was 30-31 (20 years ago).  This was for an unrelated diagnosis (Meniere's disease).  Side effects while I was on Prednisone were:  A round/fat face (Cushings syndrome), insomnia, muscle weakness (hard to climb stairs), high agitation/aggression, big drop in IQ points (due to lack of sleep I presume).  After I stopped prednisone, all of those symptoms went away.  BUT a new one started:  Extreme joint pain.  Every single joint in my body would hurt when I woke up in the morning.  It would steadily improve during the day but if I was still for too long, it would hurt to move again.  So every morning was agony.  This pain gradually improved until the one-year mark when I no longer had joint pain.  Prior to being on Prednisone, and while taking it, I jogged every morning.  After stopping prednisone I stopped jogging as it was just too painful.  But here I am, 20 years later, with absolutely no joint pain so it was not long-lived.  As far as other long-term effects I am not aware of any.  It does suppress the immune system which can contribute to cancer (ha!) but I have no way of knowing if that is true in my case and since we all have cancer now anyways it's likely a moot point.

I am not aware of anything specific to be done to counter-balance the effects of a steroid.  Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

Cheers!

Maggie

jpg
                        Participant

This column by a great melanoma doctor answers a lot of questions about steroid use in melanoma:

http://melanomainternational.org/2016/03/march-7-2016-side-effect-management

Check it out..it helped me

Maria C
                          Participant

Article is perfect – clarifies what I've been told as well but still trying to wrap my head around – thank you!

Maria C
                            Participant

Article is perfect – clarifies what I've been told as well but still trying to wrap my head around – thank you!

Maria C
                              Participant

jpg
                                Participant

This column by a great melanoma doctor answers a lot of questions about steroid use in melanoma:

jpg
                                  Participant

Maria C
                                    Participant

Maggie, fabulous to hear that 20 years later all is well! Sounds like the side effects subsided in time.

Not sure if I have Cushings syndrome but my face is definitely bloated & feels a bit "rubbery" … could be my imagination but I doubt it ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for sharing – 

Maria C
                                      Participant

Maggie, fabulous to hear that 20 years later all is well! Sounds like the side effects subsided in time.

Not sure if I have Cushings syndrome but my face is definitely bloated & feels a bit "rubbery" … could be my imagination but I doubt it ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for sharing – 

Maria C
                                        Participant

Thanks for sharing – 

DZnDef
                                        Participant

Hi Maria,

I was on Prednisone (ranging from 10-40mg/day) for one year and 3 months when I was 30-31 (20 years ago).  This was for an unrelated diagnosis (Meniere's disease).  Side effects while I was on Prednisone were:  A round/fat face (Cushings syndrome), insomnia, muscle weakness (hard to climb stairs), high agitation/aggression, big drop in IQ points (due to lack of sleep I presume).  After I stopped prednisone, all of those symptoms went away.  BUT a new one started:  Extreme joint pain.  Every single joint in my body would hurt when I woke up in the morning.  It would steadily improve during the day but if I was still for too long, it would hurt to move again.  So every morning was agony.  This pain gradually improved until the one-year mark when I no longer had joint pain.  Prior to being on Prednisone, and while taking it, I jogged every morning.  After stopping prednisone I stopped jogging as it was just too painful.  But here I am, 20 years later, with absolutely no joint pain so it was not long-lived.  As far as other long-term effects I am not aware of any.  It does suppress the immune system which can contribute to cancer (ha!) but I have no way of knowing if that is true in my case and since we all have cancer now anyways it's likely a moot point.

I am not aware of anything specific to be done to counter-balance the effects of a steroid.  Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

Cheers!

Maggie

DZnDef
                                          Participant

Hi Maria,

Cheers!

Maggie

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics