The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

long term brain mets

Forums General Melanoma Community long term brain mets

Participant
      Can you tell me ate there any people out there who have had long term brain mets. I have just been diagnosed with them and just wondered if I stood a chance x
    Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Yes.Yes.Yes.  Hang in there.  I've managed to stay clear of the brain mets so far so I can't give you personal experience but there are dozens of folks on here that have had brain mets and are now NED!  If you are comfortable maybe you could give a little more info on your specifics so that others with a similar experience could tell you their road to success.  I know there are several different options now.  There is also currently a Anti-PD1 trial that includes patients with brain mets.  I know others will be chiming in soon with better info.  Just wanted to let you know there is a lot of reason to be hopeful with some of these new treatment options.

Brian

BrianP
          Participant

Yes.Yes.Yes.  Hang in there.  I've managed to stay clear of the brain mets so far so I can't give you personal experience but there are dozens of folks on here that have had brain mets and are now NED!  If you are comfortable maybe you could give a little more info on your specifics so that others with a similar experience could tell you their road to success.  I know there are several different options now.  There is also currently a Anti-PD1 trial that includes patients with brain mets.  I know others will be chiming in soon with better info.  Just wanted to let you know there is a lot of reason to be hopeful with some of these new treatment options.

Brian

BrianP
            Participant

Brian

Janet Lee
              Participant

My husband, Don, was diagnosed January 2013 with Stage IV. He had mets everywhere, including the brain. He has had 2 Cyberknife treatments, a surgical resection, and another SRS treatment for yet more. This was all between February and August of 2013. As of now, no new brain mets and he is holding steady.

He completed Ipilumumab treatments (Yervoy) last August, and I attribute this drug for holding his brain mets steady.

We were strongly encouraged to do "whole brain" radiation instead of the targeted stereotactic radiation treatments, but we did not go that route.

I know the brain mets scared me more than any of his others, so I can appreciate your concern. But they are just another part of this melanoma roller coaster.

Take care, and good luck.

Janet Lee

Janet Lee
                Participant

My husband, Don, was diagnosed January 2013 with Stage IV. He had mets everywhere, including the brain. He has had 2 Cyberknife treatments, a surgical resection, and another SRS treatment for yet more. This was all between February and August of 2013. As of now, no new brain mets and he is holding steady.

He completed Ipilumumab treatments (Yervoy) last August, and I attribute this drug for holding his brain mets steady.

We were strongly encouraged to do "whole brain" radiation instead of the targeted stereotactic radiation treatments, but we did not go that route.

I know the brain mets scared me more than any of his others, so I can appreciate your concern. But they are just another part of this melanoma roller coaster.

Janet Lee

Janet Lee
                  Participant

Janet Lee

POW
                    Participant

Brain mets are no longer the death sentence they were 3 or 4 years ago. However, they do need to be treated ASAP. Melanoma tumors anywhere in the body tend to bleed; even small tumors can bleed. If a tumor in the brain bleeds, that is a stroke and it can cause signifianct brain damage. Brain tumors can be treated quickly with neurosurgery, stereotactic radiosurgery ("Gamma Knife" or "Cyber Knife") or whole brain radiation.  Most patients receive one or more of these treatments. 

In the longer term, some of the new melanoma treatments like BRAF inhibitors (e.g., Dabrafenib) and check point inhibitos (e.g., Yervoy) do have some effect on brain mets and seem to help shrink brain mets after radiation treatment and/or help to prevent the appearance of new brain mets. But these drugs are considered slow-acting compared to the immediate action of surgery or radiation. 

Bubbles
                        Participant

POW always shares this point when brain mets are discussed given her experiences with her brother, which was very sad and unfortunate.  However, this should not scare you.  While it is true that any melanoma met can bleed, it is not the most common event and others who have experienced brain mets have given you lots of good, realistic information and reasons for hope.  Take care.  C

Bubbles
                          Participant

POW always shares this point when brain mets are discussed given her experiences with her brother, which was very sad and unfortunate.  However, this should not scare you.  While it is true that any melanoma met can bleed, it is not the most common event and others who have experienced brain mets have given you lots of good, realistic information and reasons for hope.  Take care.  C

Bubbles
                            Participant

POW
                            Participant

Brain mets are no longer the death sentence they were 3 or 4 years ago. However, they do need to be treated ASAP. Melanoma tumors anywhere in the body tend to bleed; even small tumors can bleed. If a tumor in the brain bleeds, that is a stroke and it can cause signifianct brain damage. Brain tumors can be treated quickly with neurosurgery, stereotactic radiosurgery ("Gamma Knife" or "Cyber Knife") or whole brain radiation.  Most patients receive one or more of these treatments. 

In the longer term, some of the new melanoma treatments like BRAF inhibitors (e.g., Dabrafenib) and check point inhibitos (e.g., Yervoy) do have some effect on brain mets and seem to help shrink brain mets after radiation treatment and/or help to prevent the appearance of new brain mets. But these drugs are considered slow-acting compared to the immediate action of surgery or radiation. 

POW
                              Participant

kylez
                                Participant
                                  My brain met history is:

– Craniotomy (Oct. 2010) 1 tumor resected

– CyberKnife (Nov. 2010) 1 resected tumor bed, 1 additional new tumor treated

– Craniotomy (Jun. 2011) 1 recurrent tumor, 1 new tumor resected

– Gamma Knife (Jun. 2011) 2 tumor beds, 2 additional new tumors treated

- Yervoy (Jun.-Aug. 2011) 1 cycle/4 doses

That kept things clear till a new recent new recurrence — found in lung only. My oncologist thinks I had a pretty good run with the Yervoy. I've started a combination PD-1 treatment now for the new recurrence.
                                  kylez
                                  Participant
                                    My brain met history is:

That kept things clear till a new recent new recurrence — found in lung only. My oncologist thinks I had a pretty good run with the Yervoy. I've started a combination PD-1 treatment now for the new recurrence.
                                    kylez
                                    Participant
                                      My brain met history is:

Alicia15
                                      Participant

Yes, you can survive brain mets. I am a stage IV long term survivor. I had 2 brain mets in 2004 which were treated with srs.

I had mets to many other organs. I have been clear of melanoma for almost 9 years now.

There is hope!!!

Best of luck

Alicia15
                                        Participant

Yes, you can survive brain mets. I am a stage IV long term survivor. I had 2 brain mets in 2004 which were treated with srs.

I had mets to many other organs. I have been clear of melanoma for almost 9 years now.

There is hope!!!

Best of luck

Alicia15
                                          Participant

There is hope!!!

Best of luck

Bubbles
                                            Participant

I too, had a brain met treated with SRS…in 2010 and am NED today.  There are many posts related to brain mets and their treatment on my blog if you are interested.  Just do a search in the oval at the top left corner if you'd like.  Wishing you the best.  Celeste

Bubbles
                                              Participant

I too, had a brain met treated with SRS…in 2010 and am NED today.  There are many posts related to brain mets and their treatment on my blog if you are interested.  Just do a search in the oval at the top left corner if you'd like.  Wishing you the best.  Celeste

Bubbles
                                                Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics