The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Long overdue update on randy

Forums General Melanoma Community Long overdue update on randy

Participant
      Hello all, I havnt been on the site in forever it seems. Most might not know my boyfriend Randys journey, but I’m sure someone will remember us.

Randy has been getting pembrolizumab, or keytruda as they call it now for 3 1/2 years and counting. He’s had his ups and downs but had a good response then stable disease thereafter. He’s had many multiple hospital stays from pnumonia turned septic, but recovered. A tumor in his lower lung is blocking the lowest part of the lung so he gets pnumonia easily.

He has to take pills everyday because his adrenal gland failed from the treatment.

After his recent pnumonia/sepsis episode where he was unconcious for 3 days we learned 2 new Mets were in his right and left thigh respectively with all other tumors slightly smaller or stable. They did a biopsy on one of the thigh tumors I assume to test for mutations etc. On the plus side one tumor on his chest has disappeared and the other on the chest is a bit smaller. He’s still receiving the keytruda and this last dose has him feeling sick for a week after infusion. Severe fatigue. He was in bed all day for 4 days and then came out of it by day 7 and is back to feeling good and being really active.

So Dr. Ribas says the good guys and the bad guys are fighting right now. Will know more about biopsy on 2 weeks.

Oh and the side effects he was feeling this week which he didn’t really get in the beginning were extreme fatigue hot and cold flashes and sweating. Sleeping a lot but still feeling tired. But a week after infusion he feels good again. Oh yeah nausea and stomach ache too. Couldn’t eat. No appetite. But that’s all back to normal a week after.

-Amanda-

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mamapegela
        Participant

I'm new to the site so didn't know your boyfriends story until now.  Thanks for sharing and for being there for him through some very rough times!  It is encouraging to hear he is keeping on keeping on through it all.

All the best to you and Randy!

Peggy

Mamapegela
          Participant

I'm new to the site so didn't know your boyfriends story until now.  Thanks for sharing and for being there for him through some very rough times!  It is encouraging to hear he is keeping on keeping on through it all.

Peggy

Mamapegela
            Participant

Peggy

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics