The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Local recurrence?

Forums General Melanoma Community Local recurrence?

Participant

My daughter is 25 and was diagnosed with stage IIb nodular melanoma on her right neck in September 2012.  WLE with SNB in October with all clear.  In November noticed an enlarged lymph node just above surgical site.  FNB and CT scan showed melanoma so neck dissection was done in January with 26 nodes removed.  Only the one that was enlarged showed melanoma.  Stage is now IIIb.  Was offered and completed 3 rounds of biochemotherapy at Riverside, CA  Kaiser.  Has been NED since.  This morning she found a raised dark spot just above her right ear in the hairline.  She says it was flat and pink 2 days ago.  She will have it removed and biopsied tomorrow but I am wondering if melanoma can "grow" that fast.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant

I had lymph nodes in both arms removed (15,17) in March 2012, followed by high dose Interferon in June of 2012. I had three skin samples taken over the next 6 months from different  parts of my back and legs, all were negative. June 2013 they found a tumour in my right lung about 3.5cm, and a new mole on my face. Both turned out to be Melanoma. In Sept. of 2013 they did a brain MRI which was protocal to get into Bristol Myers Squibb phase 3 trial of Nivolumab and Ipilumimab, which found three little guys. They treated the brain mets with Cyber knife brain radiation and it worked great, still no signs of coming back. I am presently on the drug trial since January 2014 and doing great with the lung tumour shrinking on first scan after 12 weeks and then no change on scan at 18 weeks. During the fall of 2012 and spring of 2013 they did CT scans and I had a Pet Scan at x-mas 2012, so when tumours started showing up again in June of 2013 it seems fast to me at the time but it doesn't mean that it will be melanoma. With the new drugs( PD-1 and CTLA-4)  on the market there is a great sense of hope for Melanoma patients. I wish you the best of luck on the biopsy. Ed Williams 

kathycmc
            Participant

Thanks for your reply.  It turned out to be nothing.  Not even a mole just a weird looking blemish.  Freaked her out because it looked just like the mole she had that was nodular melanoma.  You would think being NED would be easy, and it is, until something shows up that is new or different.  

gregor913
              Participant
                I’m newly diagnosed 3b. How hard was the biochemotherapy and how long. What combination of drugs was it. I’m young like your daughter also. Thanks greg
                gregor913
                Participant
                  I’m newly diagnosed 3b. How hard was the biochemotherapy and how long. What combination of drugs was it. I’m young like your daughter also. Thanks greg
                  gregor913
                  Participant
                    kathycmc
                    Participant

Thanks for your reply.  It turned out to be nothing.  Not even a mole just a weird looking blemish.  Freaked her out because it looked just like the mole she had that was nodular melanoma.  You would think being NED would be easy, and it is, until something shows up that is new or different.  

kathycmc
                      Participant

ed williams
                      Participant

I had lymph nodes in both arms removed (15,17) in March 2012, followed by high dose Interferon in June of 2012. I had three skin samples taken over the next 6 months from different  parts of my back and legs, all were negative. June 2013 they found a tumour in my right lung about 3.5cm, and a new mole on my face. Both turned out to be Melanoma. In Sept. of 2013 they did a brain MRI which was protocal to get into Bristol Myers Squibb phase 3 trial of Nivolumab and Ipilumimab, which found three little guys. They treated the brain mets with Cyber knife brain radiation and it worked great, still no signs of coming back. I am presently on the drug trial since January 2014 and doing great with the lung tumour shrinking on first scan after 12 weeks and then no change on scan at 18 weeks. During the fall of 2012 and spring of 2013 they did CT scans and I had a Pet Scan at x-mas 2012, so when tumours started showing up again in June of 2013 it seems fast to me at the time but it doesn't mean that it will be melanoma. With the new drugs( PD-1 and CTLA-4)  on the market there is a great sense of hope for Melanoma patients. I wish you the best of luck on the biopsy. Ed Williams 

ed williams
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics