The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Local reccurence ?

Forums General Melanoma Community Local reccurence ?

Participant

Hello dear friends !!

It is more then an year since my diagnosys of melanoma stage 1a and one year since my WLE.

I visited hospital every 3 months for the year .

My scar on the breast is healed perfectly – even unnoticable but yesterday I noticed raised part on the scar , it feels as a a small lump and was a bit blueish..

I pressed on it several times ,trying to invistigate that it is and blood appears under the skin ,so now it is blood spot still stays under the skin , and this lump is not bluish any more.

Hello dear friends !!

It is more then an year since my diagnosys of melanoma stage 1a and one year since my WLE.

I visited hospital every 3 months for the year .

My scar on the breast is healed perfectly – even unnoticable but yesterday I noticed raised part on the scar , it feels as a a small lump and was a bit blueish..

I pressed on it several times ,trying to invistigate that it is and blood appears under the skin ,so now it is blood spot still stays under the skin , and this lump is not bluish any more.

Can it be local reccurence ? Is it possible to have some blood clots in the scar after 1 year???

I made appointment with local dermotologist but still need to wait to see her.

I would appricate any advice and opinion.

Thank you very much !!

Natasha

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

I don't have any medical info to give, but just want to say I hope it turns out to be nothing of concern.  Our lesions are very similar in pathology. 

JC
          Participant

I don't have any medical info to give, but just want to say I hope it turns out to be nothing of concern.  Our lesions are very similar in pathology. 

natasha
              Participant

Hi JC!

What is your pathology and which treatments  did you have? Are you on follow up now?

JC
                Participant

Hi, very similar to your pathology I think.  Early thin microinvasive, 0.3mm, but I still opted for SLNB (2 nodes under left arm. . the melanoma was on my back) which was negative.  This was almost 2 years ago.  There really isn't any treatment after the WLE/SLNB. . other than skin exams, etc. .   I do get physicals, including bloodwork. . I asked for a chest xray last year which the Dr warned me about. . said they don't normally do that for Stage 1A patients and there can be false positives, etc. . .but I wanted it, and of course there were suspicious spots which led to CT scan to confirm it was granulomas. . .   The mental part of all of this has been the hardest. . just never knowing if the other shoe is going to drop. . . everyone says it's "low risk" but I've heard too many stories of "low risk" that came back later.

natasha
                  Participant

Yes ,our pathology are very similiar. I had Xray ,Ultasound ,blood work . I never had SLNB , they don't do it for 1A here in UK, just WLE.

Every Doc says it is lowest possible risk ,but I am worried. I have never had a day withou thinking about melanoma.

I do not have children and Docs say I better never become pregnant 🙁

Why did you decide to have SLNB ,did you pay for that or they do it for stage 1A?

Now I am going to have another Ultrasound ,because my melanoma was on breast and it is difficult to examinate scar ,because breast can be a bit lumpy , soft etc. Plus I have implant inside my breast .

natasha
                    Participant

Yes ,our pathology are very similiar. I had Xray ,Ultasound ,blood work . I never had SLNB , they don't do it for 1A here in UK, just WLE.

Every Doc says it is lowest possible risk ,but I am worried. I have never had a day withou thinking about melanoma.

Why did you decide to have SLNB ,did you pay for that or they do it for stage 1A?

Now I am going to have another Ultrasound ,because my melanoma was on breast and it is difficult to examinate scar ,because breast can be a bit lumpy , soft etc. Plus I have implant inside my breast .

JC
                      Participant

I know there is much debate about pregnancy/melanoma. 

I decided to have SLNB because I'm male, it was located on trunk. . so those are adverse characteristics. . also, it's just more diagnostic information, I wanted all the information I could possibly have. 

I think you used to post about Level II being very low risk. .the Taran/Heenan study, etc. . so hopefully it will prove to be nothing to worry about.

JC
                        Participant

I decided to have SLNB because I'm male, it was located on trunk. . so those are adverse characteristics. . also, it's just more diagnostic information, I wanted all the information I could possibly have. 

I think you used to post about Level II being very low risk. .the Taran/Heenan study, etc. . so hopefully it will prove to be nothing to worry about.

JC
                          Participant

natasha
                            Participant

JC
                              Participant

Hi, very similar to your pathology I think.  Early thin microinvasive, 0.3mm, but I still opted for SLNB (2 nodes under left arm. . the melanoma was on my back) which was negative.  This was almost 2 years ago.  There really isn't any treatment after the WLE/SLNB. . other than skin exams, etc. .   I do get physicals, including bloodwork. . I asked for a chest xray last year which the Dr warned me about. . said they don't normally do that for Stage 1A patients and there can be false positives, etc. . .but I wanted it, and of course there were suspicious spots which led to CT scan to confirm it was granulomas. . .   The mental part of all of this has been the hardest. . just never knowing if the other shoe is going to drop. . . everyone says it's "low risk" but I've heard too many stories of "low risk" that came back later.

JC
                                Participant

natasha
                                  Participant

Hi JC!

What is your pathology and which treatments  did you have? Are you on follow up now?

natasha
                                    Participant

Hi JC!

JC
                                    Participant

kkhalsten
                                      Participant

Hi Natasha, the same thing just happened to me-

I'm 7 weeks recovery from a groin lymphedectomy- the inguinal nodes on the left side were all taken – the melanoma was 4.5 cm and pathology couldn't confirm if it was metastacized or the lymph node was completely replaced my melanoma…anyway- 2 days ago I have a raised lump on the end of the incision….thoughts anyone? I have a call in to my oncologist..

Janner
                                          Participant

Your case is much different from Natasha's.  I'd say you have multiple options to explain your lump and most of those are benign.  Scar tissue, hematoma, seroma, and a stitch reaction all come to mind.  However, melanoma is still an option given your higher risk lesion so the call to the onc is a good choice.

kkhalsten
                                            Participant

Great Janner- I'm glad you are optimistic…

kkhalsten
                                              Participant

kkhalsten
                                                Participant

Janner
                                                  Participant

Your case is much different from Natasha's.  I'd say you have multiple options to explain your lump and most of those are benign.  Scar tissue, hematoma, seroma, and a stitch reaction all come to mind.  However, melanoma is still an option given your higher risk lesion so the call to the onc is a good choice.

Janner
                                                    Participant

kkhalsten
                                                    Participant

I'm 7 weeks recovery from a groin lymphedectomy- the inguinal nodes on the left side were all taken – the melanoma was 4.5 cm and pathology couldn't confirm if it was metastacized or the lymph node was completely replaced my melanoma…anyway- 2 days ago I have a raised lump on the end of the incision….thoughts anyone? I have a call in to my oncologist..

kkhalsten
                                                      Participant

Janner
                                                        Participant

I would say if you are seeing blood, then it is blood related and not melanoma.  If this were just some type of bruising or blood blister, it should heal and you should see evidence of that.  I doubt if this were melanoma that you'd see changes you relate to something like a bruise/blood blister.  It's times like these that I always think of my derm's "6 week rule".  See if something heals in 6 weeks.  If not, get it seen.  Now while you may not (mentally) be able to wait 6 weeks, the thought still applies.  I try to give something at least 2 weeks to show some signs of healing.  If things continue to look worse daily, I call.  If things show signs of improvement, I hold off. 

Janner

natasha
                                                            Participant

Thanks Janner !!!

I hope it is blood / scar heailing related.

Is scar still heailing and developing changes after 1 year after surgery ?

And how local reccurense looks and feels like?

natasha
                                                              Participant

Thanks Janner !!!

natasha
                                                                Participant

Thanks Janner !!!

Janner
                                                                Participant

I would say if you are seeing blood, then it is blood related and not melanoma.  If this were just some type of bruising or blood blister, it should heal and you should see evidence of that.  I doubt if this were melanoma that you'd see changes you relate to something like a bruise/blood blister.  It's times like these that I always think of my derm's "6 week rule".  See if something heals in 6 weeks.  If not, get it seen.  Now while you may not (mentally) be able to wait 6 weeks, the thought still applies.  I try to give something at least 2 weeks to show some signs of healing.  If things continue to look worse daily, I call.  If things show signs of improvement, I hold off. 

Janner

Janner
                                                                  Participant

Janner

JC
                                                                    Participant

a few months after my WLE I had a hair follicle rupture. . that caused coloration and concerned me till I found out what it was

I had hernia surgery almost a year ago and that scar still has stuff changing with it.. maybe stitches coming up/out, etc. . .

JC
                                                                      Participant

a few months after my WLE I had a hair follicle rupture. . that caused coloration and concerned me till I found out what it was

I had hernia surgery almost a year ago and that scar still has stuff changing with it.. maybe stitches coming up/out, etc. . .

JC
                                                                        Participant

SoCalDave
                                                                          Participant

Get it biopsied! I had the same thing (on my leg) and have been using DPCP to try and control it, but have had about 30 re-cuurrences right around the original scar line. I pray that it's nothing..

Dave

SoCalDave
                                                                            Participant

Get it biopsied! I had the same thing (on my leg) and have been using DPCP to try and control it, but have had about 30 re-cuurrences right around the original scar line. I pray that it's nothing..

Dave

SoCalDave
                                                                              Participant

Dave

natasha
                                                                                  Participant

I managed to see dermotologist today and she looked on my scar through some special equipment 9 I don't know how it calls).

She said she cannot see any pigment in the lump ,apart of some blood ,so she thinks it does not need to be biopsed ,because it is nothing to worry about.

I don't agree with Doc ,because I suppose it is not necesserely should be some pigment in the lump if it is reccurense.

Or am I wrong ?

What do you think?

natasha
                                                                                    Participant

I managed to see dermotologist today and she looked on my scar through some special equipment 9 I don't know how it calls).

She said she cannot see any pigment in the lump ,apart of some blood ,so she thinks it does not need to be biopsed ,because it is nothing to worry about.

I don't agree with Doc ,because I suppose it is not necesserely should be some pigment in the lump if it is reccurense.

Or am I wrong ?

What do you think?

natasha
                                                                                      Participant

Or am I wrong ?

What do you think?

natasha
                                                                                        Participant

Dave ,you said you had 30 reccurance on your scar??? It is a lot .Did you have surgery to remove all of it? What was you primary pathology? My derm refused to cut it out and send to pathology ….. I am scared and don't know what to do ..

natasha
                                                                                          Participant

Dave ,you said you had 30 reccurance on your scar??? It is a lot .Did you have surgery to remove all of it? What was you primary pathology? My derm refused to cut it out and send to pathology ….. I am scared and don't know what to do ..

natasha
                                                                                            Participant

Janner
                                                                                              Participant

Watch it.  Don't play with it to irritate it further.  Give it a chance to heal on its own.  We all know it is easy to bump something on a leg and that area will be more susecptable to trauma than other areas.  I have a bruise on my leg right now from who knows what – I don't remember hitting it. 

So here's what you can do.  If it is a lump, measure it.  Make a "size log" and take picture with a ruler next to it.  Measure it in 2 weeks and take another picture.  Do it again in another two weeks.  If it grows (without irritation from you), then you can present your pictures and measurements to your doctor.  It's a lot harder for a doctor to ignore when you can document growth.  But truthfully, this may be something totally benign and it will resolve on it's own.  You had a very low risk lesion.  Dave's experience is totally different than yours and you shouldn't take his experience as having to do anything with yours.  (He has no profile, but he had a SNB which indicates a deeper primary and is at least stage III).

Let it heal, and if it doesn't get better on it's own, you can take your documentation back to your doctor and demand (with justification) a biopsy. 

Janner
                                                                                                Participant

Watch it.  Don't play with it to irritate it further.  Give it a chance to heal on its own.  We all know it is easy to bump something on a leg and that area will be more susecptable to trauma than other areas.  I have a bruise on my leg right now from who knows what – I don't remember hitting it. 

So here's what you can do.  If it is a lump, measure it.  Make a "size log" and take picture with a ruler next to it.  Measure it in 2 weeks and take another picture.  Do it again in another two weeks.  If it grows (without irritation from you), then you can present your pictures and measurements to your doctor.  It's a lot harder for a doctor to ignore when you can document growth.  But truthfully, this may be something totally benign and it will resolve on it's own.  You had a very low risk lesion.  Dave's experience is totally different than yours and you shouldn't take his experience as having to do anything with yours.  (He has no profile, but he had a SNB which indicates a deeper primary and is at least stage III).

Let it heal, and if it doesn't get better on it's own, you can take your documentation back to your doctor and demand (with justification) a biopsy. 

Janner
                                                                                                  Participant

SoCalDave
                                                                                                    Participant

About 3 years ago I had a small mole on the calf. They did the wle, took snb,;all margins and snb were clear so I thought I was out of the wooks. Then about 3 months after that surgery  I noticed what I though as well were blood blisters right on the scar tissue on the calf. There was about 4 or 5 of them and indeed came back mel. I went to a Mel center of excellence where they took about half my calf out (needed a skin graft from right thigh, as well as a complete groin/node resection. 1 node came back positive with micro mets. And then again, about 2 months later, more starting appearting all aroung the divot that was on the calf (all below the original mole). I go to the derm about once a month and they keep slicing and dicing. Now it's getting to hard tell what is a new mel and what is scar tissue. The longest I've gone with no new mels was about 8 months. Had 2 biopsied in Jan – 1 came back positive, the other scar tissue. Go back again in 2 weeks.

We've been trying something called DPCP which is suppose to kick you immune system into gear and fight this things. Have to apply it to the calf every week. 

My doc says my case is about a 1 in a 100. 

Lucky me! But as long as my scans come back clear I'm happy.

Hope that helps,

Dave

SoCalDave
                                                                                                      Participant

About 3 years ago I had a small mole on the calf. They did the wle, took snb,;all margins and snb were clear so I thought I was out of the wooks. Then about 3 months after that surgery  I noticed what I though as well were blood blisters right on the scar tissue on the calf. There was about 4 or 5 of them and indeed came back mel. I went to a Mel center of excellence where they took about half my calf out (needed a skin graft from right thigh, as well as a complete groin/node resection. 1 node came back positive with micro mets. And then again, about 2 months later, more starting appearting all aroung the divot that was on the calf (all below the original mole). I go to the derm about once a month and they keep slicing and dicing. Now it's getting to hard tell what is a new mel and what is scar tissue. The longest I've gone with no new mels was about 8 months. Had 2 biopsied in Jan – 1 came back positive, the other scar tissue. Go back again in 2 weeks.

We've been trying something called DPCP which is suppose to kick you immune system into gear and fight this things. Have to apply it to the calf every week. 

Hope that helps,

Dave

SoCalDave
                                                                                                        Participant

Hope that helps,

Dave

JC
                                                                                                        Participant

Natasha, have you found out anything new?

JC
                                                                                                          Participant

natasha
                                                                                                              Participant

Hi! I had appointment in hospital yesterday.

Doc was very good ,done full body check and checked this lump as well. I noticed my lump during period .Lump is on my breast , and after period it become smaller.

Doc said it can be related to my implant ,I have implant in that breast ,so it is very complicated to tell exactly .I will have ultrasound on my breast .

I already had one 4 month ago and it was fine.

Doc thinks if it would be reccurance ,it would go to my armpit , but lympth nodes are fine.

I am waiting for my Ultrasound appointment to be sheduled and praying it is nothing but capsule around implant

natasha
                                                                                                                Participant

Doc was very good ,done full body check and checked this lump as well. I noticed my lump during period .Lump is on my breast , and after period it become smaller.

Doc said it can be related to my implant ,I have implant in that breast ,so it is very complicated to tell exactly .I will have ultrasound on my breast .

Doc thinks if it would be reccurance ,it would go to my armpit , but lympth nodes are fine.

I am waiting for my Ultrasound appointment to be sheduled and praying it is nothing but capsule around implant

natasha
                                                                                                                  Participant

JC
                                                                                                                  Participant

natasha
                                                                                                                    Participant

Hi!

I have Ultrasound appointment in Cambridge University Hospital to investigate my scar and lympth nodes.

All clear !!!

A lump is scar tissue ( and become a bit smaller !!!!)

natasha
                                                                                                                      Participant

Hi!

I have Ultrasound appointment in Cambridge University Hospital to investigate my scar and lympth nodes.

All clear !!!

natasha
                                                                                                                        Participant

Hi!

All clear !!!

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics