The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

LDH elevated

Forums General Melanoma Community LDH elevated

Participant

I'm a stage 1 from 5 years ago.  had an annual physical the other day and LDH is slightly elevated 252 U/L.  I'm not sure if i should be worried or take any further action because of this with regard to the risk of it being melanoma as the cause.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Patrisa
        Participant

Ldh is sooo much more indicative of other issues than melanoma… It's not even a marker for melanoma, though it can be elevated sometimes because of it…

the probability that the elevation is not mel related is much greater than that it is…

Keep calm until u know more!!

love, 

Patrisa

Patrisa
          Participant

Ldh is sooo much more indicative of other issues than melanoma… It's not even a marker for melanoma, though it can be elevated sometimes because of it…

the probability that the elevation is not mel related is much greater than that it is…

love, 

Patrisa

JC
              Participant

thanks. the problem is i don't know how to go about knowing more.  i'm not sure what I or doctor would do to investigate this any further.  it's the highest it's ever been for me:

August 2012    184

February 2013    172

July 2013     177

February 2014    199

May 2014   196

July 2014  179

February 2015   175

July 2015    192

February 2016    137

Now    252

JC
                Participant

thanks. the problem is i don't know how to go about knowing more.  i'm not sure what I or doctor would do to investigate this any further.  it's the highest it's ever been for me:

August 2012    184

February 2013    172

July 2013     177

February 2014    199

May 2014   196

July 2014  179

February 2015   175

July 2015    192

February 2016    137

Now    252

JC
                  Participant

August 2012    184

February 2013    172

July 2013     177

February 2014    199

May 2014   196

July 2014  179

February 2015   175

July 2015    192

February 2016    137

Now    252

Gene_S
                    Participant

that is not a high number.  Mine was over 1200 and is now down in the Normal range since treatment success as I had melanoma in my liver and lungs.

Gene_S
                      Participant

that is not a high number.  Mine was over 1200 and is now down in the Normal range since treatment success as I had melanoma in my liver and lungs.

Gene_S
                        Participant

Patrisa
                        Participant

love, 

Patrisa

Patrisa
                          Participant

Well, you can go again to the doctors in a couple of weeks and take another ldh test to see if drops down or not.. And take it from there…

Ldh can be elevated from strenuous excercise, alcohol, some medicine etc… So take it easy in a couple of weeks and do another test..

and take it from there… 

If mel was never a part of your life, you would never be this worried about this elevation, but yeah, i get where are you coming from, i would ask the same questions as you…

Other that that, i can't say really what else you can do, your insurance system (usa) is soooo difficult to understand (ours is more like canadian), so don't know if they are willing to pay for something else…

You can also get your blood tested for S100 marker, it can also be elevated because of melanoma ( in my country they test it regularely in mel patients)… 

Love, 

Patrisa

Patrisa
                            Participant

Well, you can go again to the doctors in a couple of weeks and take another ldh test to see if drops down or not.. And take it from there…

Ldh can be elevated from strenuous excercise, alcohol, some medicine etc… So take it easy in a couple of weeks and do another test..

and take it from there… 

If mel was never a part of your life, you would never be this worried about this elevation, but yeah, i get where are you coming from, i would ask the same questions as you…

Other that that, i can't say really what else you can do, your insurance system (usa) is soooo difficult to understand (ours is more like canadian), so don't know if they are willing to pay for something else…

You can also get your blood tested for S100 marker, it can also be elevated because of melanoma ( in my country they test it regularely in mel patients)… 

Love, 

Patrisa

Patrisa
                              Participant

and take it from there… 

Love, 

Patrisa

RaquelP
                                Participant

It can go up for a number of reasons. Are any other enzymes elevated with it? All sorts of condtions can cause it to rise…mono, muscle strain, gall stones, even random viruses.

RaquelP
                                  Participant

It can go up for a number of reasons. Are any other enzymes elevated with it? All sorts of condtions can cause it to rise…mono, muscle strain, gall stones, even random viruses.

JC
                                      Participant

no, nothing else elevated

JC
                                        Participant

Toby0987
                                          Participant

I was in the high 100s and then jumped to 232. My oncologist said no big deal (I'm 3b)

Toby0987
                                            Participant

I was in the high 100s and then jumped to 232. My oncologist said no big deal (I'm 3b)

Toby0987
                                              Participant

JC
                                                Participant

RaquelP
                                                Participant

Polymath
                                                  Participant

according to my chart, the standard range is 94-250 U/L so your 252 is just at the upper range of normal.  Nothing to panic about at this point, continue to monitor.  As has been noted, LDH can be temporarily elevated for a number of reasons besides tumor burden.

Polymath
                                                    Participant

according to my chart, the standard range is 94-250 U/L so your 252 is just at the upper range of normal.  Nothing to panic about at this point, continue to monitor.  As has been noted, LDH can be temporarily elevated for a number of reasons besides tumor burden.

Polymath
                                                      Participant

Cathy M
                                                        Participant
                                                          252 high normal is our lab range too. LDH is not a reliable tumor marker but we always watch it too. In 2013 when my husband learned of his stage 4 metastatic melanoma his LDH had gone up in to the 600’s. As treatments progressed it dropped down into a normal range. But as of last Thursday his PET scan came back with hypermetabolic existing larger nodules and even new nodules with a normal range LDH of 232. So yes, we watch the LDH levels but definitely don’t rely on this to determine if the melanoma is actively spreading or not. Gpod luck with your battle!!
                                                          Cathy M
                                                          Participant
                                                            252 high normal is our lab range too. LDH is not a reliable tumor marker but we always watch it too. In 2013 when my husband learned of his stage 4 metastatic melanoma his LDH had gone up in to the 600’s. As treatments progressed it dropped down into a normal range. But as of last Thursday his PET scan came back with hypermetabolic existing larger nodules and even new nodules with a normal range LDH of 232. So yes, we watch the LDH levels but definitely don’t rely on this to determine if the melanoma is actively spreading or not. Gpod luck with your battle!!
                                                              JC
                                                              Participant

I had it rechecked (a month later) and it's now 220.  it's still on the high end and higher than my previous results, but slightly lower than the last result.  i don't know what to think about this, could a slight elevation be a sign of an early spread?  

JC
                                                                Participant

I had it rechecked (a month later) and it's now 220.  it's still on the high end and higher than my previous results, but slightly lower than the last result.  i don't know what to think about this, could a slight elevation be a sign of an early spread?  

JC
                                                                  Participant

Cathy M
                                                                  Participant
                                                                Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics