The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

LDH concerns

Forums General Melanoma Community LDH concerns

Participant
      Hello all. After discovery of Stage IIIC melanoma on top of my head, had Wide Excision surgery and reconstruction. Nineteen lymph nodes were also biopsied with zero sign of disease.  Started on Keytruda and I’m at cycle #11 this week. Tolerating it very well. My PET scan three weeks ago showed no concerns. I just had my blood tests done for my oncology doc appt and Keytruda infusion later this week. My LDH has been tracking in normal range except for one data point on 3/2/2021. – then 294. Then normal range again for the next six weeks (218, 222). Most recent is 324 this week. I’ll be discussing this with my oncologist this week Thursday. It’s just weighing on my mind. All other blood measures are in normal range. Just live life to its fullest and see what will come. Thanks for listening my friends.
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        CindyJ
        Participant
          I’m no expert but as someone who’s been riding my mother’s oncologist for four years regarding her LDH number I can offer the following. My mom’s number has spiked several times close to your number. Her doctor always has to remind me that the LDH is not the best tumor marker, but is all they have for melanoma. Lots of things can make the number spike… an infection, an injury somewhere in/on the body, even how the blood tube was handled before testing. Since you just had a clean PET, I wouldn’t be concerned with a number that one testing is showing. Hope this helps ease the mind a bit. Best wishes!
            mrbill16323
            Participant
              Thank you Cindy. I appreciate your advice.
            Beth
            Participant
              I just had this exact conversation with my oncologist today because I’ve had similar results.  I had a high in February of 268 then back to normal until it jumped to 274 this week.  I had scans 4 weeks ago that did not indicate anything to be concerned about.  My doctor reminded me that this a very non-specific test and as Cindy said can indicate inflammation anywhere in the body.  She was not concerned about it but we agreed to have new labs done in 2 weeks to make sure it’s trending in the right direction and for my own peace of mind.

Best of luck!

Sdmotorcop
              Participant
                I had the same conversation with my oncologist. He said LDH is part of the picture, but not the whole picture. Like you said.. live life to the fullest 😁
            Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics