The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Latest Scan

Forums General Melanoma Community Latest Scan

Participant

Just to give a quick background.  Stage 4.  Ipi/Nivo combo.  Pituitary damaged after 3rd ipi infusion.  Vitiligo all over arms.  Lots of Prednisone and missed a couple Nivo treatments due to reactions. 1st scan everything shrunk by 1/2.  The latest scan (2nd scan) most everything stayed the same with slight shrinkage to one or two nodes.  

I realize this is still good news but in a way it is disappointing news compared to last time.  I am a little worried that the slow down of my progress might be a sign of becoming a partial responder and not reaching NED.  This may seem "Brattish" because I am exhibiting a lack of patience or that I'm not thankful for the progress I did make.  I am very thankful, but we all know that we all want good results and we want them asap!  Mainly I'm just wondering it the rollercoaster of good scans and bad scans are typical.  Has anyone experienced a breakthrough scan where they didn't have good results and then in another scan or two they were back on track?  

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Hukill
        Participant

I get my 4th single dose of nivo friday and then go back to the combo for the maintanance period. I also have vitiligo on the arms. The 2 scans I have had were both very promising and I guess the best thing was there were no new spots anywhere. The vitiligo started after the first single dose of nivo and I have had dry mouth issues for about 9 weeks now. I take both of these side effects with happiness, I know, wierd but I see it as my body is still reacting to the drugs and a good thing. I guess I have tolerated it better than some as I still go to work everyday. So many people ask me why I am not on disability but I have no problem working. I really cant wait to get both drugs again as I know it will only help.

Hukill
          Participant

I get my 4th single dose of nivo friday and then go back to the combo for the maintanance period. I also have vitiligo on the arms. The 2 scans I have had were both very promising and I guess the best thing was there were no new spots anywhere. The vitiligo started after the first single dose of nivo and I have had dry mouth issues for about 9 weeks now. I take both of these side effects with happiness, I know, wierd but I see it as my body is still reacting to the drugs and a good thing. I guess I have tolerated it better than some as I still go to work everyday. So many people ask me why I am not on disability but I have no problem working. I really cant wait to get both drugs again as I know it will only help.

Hukill
            Participant

Gene_S
              Participant

Hello Aaron,

Yes it is possible to get a really large shrinkage and then slow down a little.  It took my husband over a year to reach the NED status but he has been NED for almost 4.5 years now.

On another note, my husbands eyebrows started turning white (he has very dark hair and eyebrows) and his oncologist said this is good news.  Then he got vitiligo on his face and neck down to the collar bone and the doctor saw some white spots on his arms and he said this is good news as well.  He said some with a response to Ipi get the white eyebrows and sometimes even a white streak down the top of the head (which he never got).  But he still has the white eyebrows.  He says he will accept it as it was a small price to pay for NED.

Don't give up and get down when you have a slow period as maybe it is vamping to attack more melanoma.  Good luck.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED for almost 4.5 years)

Gene_S
                Participant

Hello Aaron,

Yes it is possible to get a really large shrinkage and then slow down a little.  It took my husband over a year to reach the NED status but he has been NED for almost 4.5 years now.

On another note, my husbands eyebrows started turning white (he has very dark hair and eyebrows) and his oncologist said this is good news.  Then he got vitiligo on his face and neck down to the collar bone and the doctor saw some white spots on his arms and he said this is good news as well.  He said some with a response to Ipi get the white eyebrows and sometimes even a white streak down the top of the head (which he never got).  But he still has the white eyebrows.  He says he will accept it as it was a small price to pay for NED.

Don't give up and get down when you have a slow period as maybe it is vamping to attack more melanoma.  Good luck.

Gene_S
                  Participant

Hello Aaron,

JoshF
                    Participant

Aaron-

I'm happy to get there was regression, that is a good thing! Also nothing new has showed up which is another positive. That being said I can understand your disappointment and you're totally justified in feeling that. Early on in my fight I had quick results but the last 7-8 months haave beeen difficult with setbacks. I just finished an adoptive cell therapy at MD Anderson and was hoping to see great results in a hurry…not happening so I'm frustrated, disappointed….all of the above. I've done IL-2, ipi and PD-1…developed some vitiligo yet had progression. Though my oncologist at MD Anderson as well as my local oncologist have said that response times are different and some people don't  respond until months later. The key is your immune system building memory. If that's happening then you'll eventually be rendered NED. We'll pray for that! Wishing you continued successs.

Josh

JoshF
                      Participant

Aaron-

I'm happy to get there was regression, that is a good thing! Also nothing new has showed up which is another positive. That being said I can understand your disappointment and you're totally justified in feeling that. Early on in my fight I had quick results but the last 7-8 months haave beeen difficult with setbacks. I just finished an adoptive cell therapy at MD Anderson and was hoping to see great results in a hurry…not happening so I'm frustrated, disappointed….all of the above. I've done IL-2, ipi and PD-1…developed some vitiligo yet had progression. Though my oncologist at MD Anderson as well as my local oncologist have said that response times are different and some people don't  respond until months later. The key is your immune system building memory. If that's happening then you'll eventually be rendered NED. We'll pray for that! Wishing you continued successs.

Josh

JoshF
                        Participant

Aaron-

Josh

Mat
                          Participant

Aaron, certainly natural to hope for NED, but until you get there, stable disease is the place to be. 

Mat
                            Participant

Aaron, certainly natural to hope for NED, but until you get there, stable disease is the place to be. 

Mat
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics