The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Last resort treatments ?

Forums General Melanoma Community Last resort treatments ?

• This topic has 18 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Mat.
    Participant

I'm a member of a Facebook support group for melanoma patients in the UK. Some fellow members have failed to respond to ipilimumab / yervoy or pembrolizumab / keytruda. They have also tried dabrafenib but the disease has become resistant. TILs is available but not on the NHS and is expensive if you are self funding. T-vec is not available for patients who have bone or lung mets. What treatments or trials can I suggest to them ? Mel J

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        melj
        Participant

Sorry, wasn't meant to be an anonymous post.

melj
          Participant

melj
            Participant

ed williams
              Participant

Some of the most advanced trials and leaders in the Melanoma field are located at The Angeles Clinic, where Dr.Omid Hamid is located. Another is MD Anderson where Dr. Allison and Pam Sharma work on something called the moon shot program. Other names in the field are as follows, Dr.Mario Sznol (Yale Cancer center), Dr.Jedd Wolchok at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York), Dr. Antoni Ribas (Jonsson Comprihensive cancer center UCLA), Dr.Jason Luke (University of Chicago), Dr. Jeffrey Weber at NYU Langone medical center formerly of Moffit cancer center in Tampa. There are all kinds of new drugs and trials available at these different centers. Some examples IDO +Ipi, IDO + PD-1, Pd-L1, vegf or Inos, Ox40,Lag-3, Gitr, CD137, Anti Vascular (Avastin). Combinations of Ipi and Pd-1 is still probably the most advanced with the best results so far!!!! I hope this was helpfull, you might also take a look at Bubbles (Celeste) blog, she keeps us all up to date on things!!! Ed

melj
                  Participant

Ed, many thanks for your helpful post. I follow Celeste's blog with interest and recognise some of the other names from reading about their work on Pubmed and onc live. iDO inhibitors seem to have gone quiet after being in the news a lot two yeas ago. I have suggested contacting MD Anderson to one patient but it's a huge step to take for patients in the UK. Back in 1996 I travelled to Santa Monica to participate in their cancervax trial, so I understand the support needed. Frankly most stage 4 patients in the UK are not likely to travel to the US for trials unless they have close friends or family there. Best regards. Mel J

melj
                    Participant

Ed, many thanks for your helpful post. I follow Celeste's blog with interest and recognise some of the other names from reading about their work on Pubmed and onc live. iDO inhibitors seem to have gone quiet after being in the news a lot two yeas ago. I have suggested contacting MD Anderson to one patient but it's a huge step to take for patients in the UK. Back in 1996 I travelled to Santa Monica to participate in their cancervax trial, so I understand the support needed. Frankly most stage 4 patients in the UK are not likely to travel to the US for trials unless they have close friends or family there. Best regards. Mel J

melj
                      Participant

ed williams
                      Participant

Some of the most advanced trials and leaders in the Melanoma field are located at The Angeles Clinic, where Dr.Omid Hamid is located. Another is MD Anderson where Dr. Allison and Pam Sharma work on something called the moon shot program. Other names in the field are as follows, Dr.Mario Sznol (Yale Cancer center), Dr.Jedd Wolchok at Memorial Sloan Kettering (New York), Dr. Antoni Ribas (Jonsson Comprihensive cancer center UCLA), Dr.Jason Luke (University of Chicago), Dr. Jeffrey Weber at NYU Langone medical center formerly of Moffit cancer center in Tampa. There are all kinds of new drugs and trials available at these different centers. Some examples IDO +Ipi, IDO + PD-1, Pd-L1, vegf or Inos, Ox40,Lag-3, Gitr, CD137, Anti Vascular (Avastin). Combinations of Ipi and Pd-1 is still probably the most advanced with the best results so far!!!! I hope this was helpfull, you might also take a look at Bubbles (Celeste) blog, she keeps us all up to date on things!!! Ed

ed williams
                        Participant

Polymath
                          Participant

Mel,

It seems the most obvious next step is going onto the FDA approved combo of Yervoy/Opdivo (ipi/nivo).  I was a total non-responder to each as single agents and everything else we threw at it in the past.  I have now shown some immune response to the combo, and also added radiation treatment which trials are proving now to further improve immune response rates.  If the combo is not available in UK, then get on a plane and come to U.S.  Ed outlined above numerous destinations to get the best care possible.

Gary

Polymath
                            Participant

Mel,

It seems the most obvious next step is going onto the FDA approved combo of Yervoy/Opdivo (ipi/nivo).  I was a total non-responder to each as single agents and everything else we threw at it in the past.  I have now shown some immune response to the combo, and also added radiation treatment which trials are proving now to further improve immune response rates.  If the combo is not available in UK, then get on a plane and come to U.S.  Ed outlined above numerous destinations to get the best care possible.

Gary

Polymath
                              Participant

Mel,

Gary

Janner
                                  Participant

It's not just that simple – the NHS will most likely not pay for anything in the US.  Treatments, scans, whatever. 

Mel, I might look toward Germany.  Much closer, tends to be quite progressive in treatments.  THey may have the combo available, TIL or other clinical trials.  I used to work for a medical device manufacturer who did a lot of business and research there.  Treatments approved there (hyperthermia) that are not approved in the US.  Seriously, if I was in Europe, I'd be at least looking at options there.

Janner
                                    Participant

It's not just that simple – the NHS will most likely not pay for anything in the US.  Treatments, scans, whatever. 

Mel, I might look toward Germany.  Much closer, tends to be quite progressive in treatments.  THey may have the combo available, TIL or other clinical trials.  I used to work for a medical device manufacturer who did a lot of business and research there.  Treatments approved there (hyperthermia) that are not approved in the US.  Seriously, if I was in Europe, I'd be at least looking at options there.

Janner
                                      Participant

Mat
                                      Participant

Considering contacting Catherine Poole at Melanoma International Foundation for contacts in Europe.

Mat
                                        Participant

Considering contacting Catherine Poole at Melanoma International Foundation for contacts in Europe.

Mat
                                          Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics