The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Laser surgery for early melanoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community Laser surgery for early melanoma?

Participant

I'd appreciate any information on whether a viable option exists to surgical excision of facial melanoma in situ.  Is laser surgery an option?  I'm a bit freaked out by the prospect of facial scarring, even when a plastic surgeon performs the excision.

Thanks

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Jamie1960
        Participant

Depending on the diagnosis / staging, you may be able to opt for Mohs surgery versus wide excision.

Whatever the procedure, those on this board will quickly tell you that some scarring is preferable to the alternative.

A good surgeon will be able to minimize the scarring, irrespective of the procedure; I now have four incisions ranging in length from 3" to 5" and, with one exception (arm / elbow with mitosis, regression and ulceration present) all have, remarkably, healed to resemble little more than a pencil-line width discoloration.

In the right hands, you will be fine.

barry_g
            Participant

Thanks!  The facial location is of major concern.

barry_g
              Participant

I've been searching on the Web and from what I can tell, it appears that there are a select few doctors now performing Mohs surgery for melanoma in situ and that it's a fairly recent advancement. Here's an example of what I found: http://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2016/06/24/in-situ-melanoma-patients-now-eligible-for-quicker-procedure-at-stanford-medicine/

Do I have this right? This would seem a desirable option over blind 5mm margin excision, even if I had to travel for the surgery.  But I'm not sure these doctors are going to be easy to find.

jennunicorn
                Participant

Yes I have known multiple people to get Mohs for melanoma in situ on the face. You just have to find a dermatologist that regularly performs Mohs.

Janner
                  Participant

Mohs surgeons are certified.  You can find someone certified in Mohs surgery.  I believe the college of Mohs lists certified individuals.  My Mohs surgeon will do Mohs for Lentigo Maligna – a specific type of in situ.  Not typically for superficial spreading.  Lentigo Maligna has a high local recurrence rate. 

jenny22
                  Participant

I just had some experience with this same subject, though not for me, but for my Mom……in June she had a biopsy done for something on her neck…it came back as Melanoma…not in situ…..but very small…The reccommendation from her Derm was to have MOHS…I was very suspect, as i know the usual protocol was WLE with 1 cm margins…..after much research, and even a consult with my own Melanoma ONC, who is melanoma sepcailaist (anna pavlick at NYU) we proceeded with the MOHS….after confiring that though it would be MOHS they would still take the necessary margins.

Apparently only certain facliities have the staining necessary to do MOHS for melanoma…she had hers done at Univ of Penn where they have have done lots of studies and now beleive for certain Melanoma MOHS with the right staining has had great  results and fewer local recurrences.

Not sure where you are located, but you may be fine with MOHs, esp for in situ!!!!!

Best of luck,

jenny

barry_g
                      Participant

Update:

Based on a highly respected recommendation, I traveled to Cambridge MA and had an excision with 5mm margins and reconstruction done by Dr. Stephen Sullivan. Melanoma excision with reconstruction is a specialty of Dr. Sullivan and he has done specific work/research with Dr. Frank Isik in Seattle (both are plastic surgeons) on exactly this. I highly recommend both these doctors. My procedure was done under local anesthetic only (by my request) and I was impressed with the degree of care Dr. Sullivan exercised during all phases of the procedure, and particularly during the reconstruction (fitting with my facial contours, suturing in such a way that the scar would be minimal and flat, etc etc)

Viewing 1 reply thread
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics