The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lambrolizumab and shortness of breath

Forums General Melanoma Community Lambrolizumab and shortness of breath

Participant

I had my first dose of Lambrolizumab (MK 3475) about ten days ago and developed intermittent shortness of breath within two days.  Has anyone else on a clinical trial for this drug had the same side effect?  How long did it last?  Did it just resolve over time?  Was any treatment prescribed for this side effect?  Apparently it isn't a common reaction.

I had my first dose of Lambrolizumab (MK 3475) about ten days ago and developed intermittent shortness of breath within two days.  Has anyone else on a clinical trial for this drug had the same side effect?  How long did it last?  Did it just resolve over time?  Was any treatment prescribed for this side effect?  Apparently it isn't a common reaction.

Viewing 16 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

Shortness of breath  Pneumonitis is a common side effect of mk3475. I suggest you advise your doctor of your condition

"AEs of an inflammatory or immune nature included grade 1/2 pneumonitis in 4.4% of patients and hypothyroidism in 8.1% of patients."

see link for report:

http://www.chemotherapyadvisor.com/lambrolizumab-mk-3475-safe-exhibits-early-evidence-of-anti-melanoma-activity/article/295884/

killmel
          Participant

Shortness of breath  Pneumonitis is a common side effect of mk3475. I suggest you advise your doctor of your condition

"AEs of an inflammatory or immune nature included grade 1/2 pneumonitis in 4.4% of patients and hypothyroidism in 8.1% of patients."

see link for report:

http://www.chemotherapyadvisor.com/lambrolizumab-mk-3475-safe-exhibits-early-evidence-of-anti-melanoma-activity/article/295884/

killmel
            Participant

see link for report:

Tina D
              Participant

Have to agree with the anonymous responder. I have not started yet, but was informed that the one serious side effect they watch for is pneumonitis… and the first sign of a cough or shortness of breath needs to be reported, so it can be evaluated, and then treated if it is indeed an issue. Of course, it could be related to some other thing… but you need to be sure with this one.

You probably should call your Dr just to let them know… and see if they feel it may need evaluating.

Tina

Tina D
                Participant

Have to agree with the anonymous responder. I have not started yet, but was informed that the one serious side effect they watch for is pneumonitis… and the first sign of a cough or shortness of breath needs to be reported, so it can be evaluated, and then treated if it is indeed an issue. Of course, it could be related to some other thing… but you need to be sure with this one.

You probably should call your Dr just to let them know… and see if they feel it may need evaluating.

Tina

Tina D
                  Participant

Tina

awillett1991
                    Participant
                      Pulmony Embolism is a rare but very serious side effect, but is treatable. Call your onc so it can be ruled out via scam or X-ray.
                      awillett1991
                      Participant
                        Pulmony Embolism is a rare but very serious side effect, but is treatable. Call your onc so it can be ruled out via scam or X-ray.
                        awillett1991
                        Participant
                          Jaryllane
                          Participant

I did go in to the doctor right away and they scanned me and ruled out pneumonitis.  It is just some random side effect of the drug.  I was just wondering if any one else had the same reaction and how long it lasted.

Gene_S
                            Participant

I agree about the Pulmonary Embolism and unfortunately cancer patients are more likely to get this.  My husband had them in Oct. 2012 and we were told then about cancer patients being more susceptable.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)

Tina D
                              Participant

oh, ok… I am glad you were checked out, and that it isnt pneumonitis. But, I am sorry you are having this side effect πŸ™  . I hope it does not hang around for long!!

Tina

Jaryllane
                                Participant

I didn't know about pulmonary embolism, so thank you. I had a CT scan and am being sent for a pulmonary function test this week.  The shortness of breath is so strange because it is intermittent and not associated with activity — just comes on randomly. 

POW
                                  Participant

If all your cardiovascular tests turn out to be OK and the doctors can't find any organic cause of your shortness of breath, you might consider an anti-anxiety medication. I don't think that cancer patients or their doctors pay enough attention to the serious and debilitating effects of anxiety and depression. It might be worth a shot.

Jaryllane
                                    Participant

Hi Erin:

Thanks for your reply.  Great news that the drug is working for you!

They did a CT scan of my lungs to make sure the shortness of breath isn't pneumonitis, which it isn't, and today I am have a pulmonary function test to make sure there isn't any obstruction.  But the shortness of breath seems to get better everyday.  I know some of it might be caused by anxiety, so they advised me to take a little xanax which does help ease it a little.  But they also said that it is a reaction to the drug and would probably resolve on its own.

I am on the 10mg/kg does every three weeks, so my second infusion is next week.  Are your infusions more often than that?  Have you had any other side effects?  My melanoma is in my lungs.  Is yours in a different part of your body?

Erinmay22
                                      Participant

Yes, so far so good!  Let's hope the trend continues!  

Pneumonitis is very common I guess.  Hope the pulmonary function tests went well.  Like I said, I've have episodes of shortness of breath… but nothing that is constant.  My thoughts is that it's more anxiety related than drug.  But one never knows.  What facility are you having the trial done at?  

I am on the every 3 week schedule also but was randomized to the lower dose.  Did Ipi right before.  They just did updated trial paperwork a few visits ago adding in the every 2 week schedule.  Yikes!  I thought every 3 weeks was rough!  No other major side effects.  Some fatigue, starting to get more joint pain with this heat/humidity but NOTHING compared to the joint pain on Zelboraf.  My tumors were mainly in lymph nodes near my small intestine.  I had lung mets show up in Jan 2011 but they resolved on their own.  

Here's hoping the trial works for you!

Erin

Jaryllane
                                        Participant

Wow!  You have been through a lot of treatment!  I haven't had any other treatment other than surgery for one small tumor in my right lung a year ago after which I was clear for months. The four or five little lung mets are so new — detected on a PET/CT in January then had to wait until June for one to be big enough for a needle biopsy.  I am very curious about how your lung mets resolved on their own.  Do you mean they just went away without any treatment?  Mine are very small and slow growing and I'm hoping that is a good sign.

Pulmonary function tests went well. Fortunately the shortness of breath finally resolved on its own, slowly going away over the past few days.  Woke up this morning and it was all gone and I've had no problem all day!  No one knows if it will come back again after my next infusion next week.  So I'm going to enjoy breathing freely and keep active for the next week.

Erinmay22
                                            Participant

Pneumonitis is very common I guess.  Hope the pulmonary function tests went well.  Like I said, I've have episodes of shortness of breath… but nothing that is constant.  My thoughts is that it's more anxiety related than drug.  But one never knows.  What facility are you having the trial done at?  

I am on the every 3 week schedule also but was randomized to the lower dose.  Did Ipi right before.  They just did updated trial paperwork a few visits ago adding in the every 2 week schedule.  Yikes!  I thought every 3 weeks was rough!  No other major side effects.  Some fatigue, starting to get more joint pain with this heat/humidity but NOTHING compared to the joint pain on Zelboraf.  My tumors were mainly in lymph nodes near my small intestine.  I had lung mets show up in Jan 2011 but they resolved on their own.  

Erin

Erinmay22
                                              Participant

Erin

Jaryllane
                                              Participant

I did go in to the doctor right away and they scanned me and ruled out pneumonitis.  It is just some random side effect of the drug.  I was just wondering if any one else had the same reaction and how long it lasted.

Jaryllane
                                                Participant

Gene_S
                                                  Participant

I agree about the Pulmonary Embolism and unfortunately cancer patients are more likely to get this.  My husband had them in Oct. 2012 and we were told then about cancer patients being more susceptable.

Gene_S
                                                    Participant

Tina D
                                                      Participant

oh, ok… I am glad you were checked out, and that it isnt pneumonitis. But, I am sorry you are having this side effect πŸ™  . I hope it does not hang around for long!!

Tina

Tina D
                                                        Participant

Tina

Jaryllane
                                                          Participant

I didn't know about pulmonary embolism, so thank you. I had a CT scan and am being sent for a pulmonary function test this week.  The shortness of breath is so strange because it is intermittent and not associated with activity — just comes on randomly. 

Jaryllane
                                                            Participant

POW
                                                              Participant

If all your cardiovascular tests turn out to be OK and the doctors can't find any organic cause of your shortness of breath, you might consider an anti-anxiety medication. I don't think that cancer patients or their doctors pay enough attention to the serious and debilitating effects of anxiety and depression. It might be worth a shot.

POW
                                                                Participant

Erinmay22
                                                                  Participant

sorry you're having this side effect.  I have had 9 doses of merck's drug (getting low dose).  I seem to have this happen to me every now and then but honestly not sure if it's the drug or just anxiety of the whole situation.  At least you've had it checked out.  I was told at my first visit. any shortness of breath or cough = immediate chest xray!  πŸ™‚

Best of luck!  My 12, 16, and 24 week scans all show continued improvement.

Erin

Erinmay22
                                                                    Participant

sorry you're having this side effect.  I have had 9 doses of merck's drug (getting low dose).  I seem to have this happen to me every now and then but honestly not sure if it's the drug or just anxiety of the whole situation.  At least you've had it checked out.  I was told at my first visit. any shortness of breath or cough = immediate chest xray!  πŸ™‚

Erin

Erinmay22
                                                                      Participant

Erin

Jaryllane
                                                                        Participant

Hi Erin:

They did a CT scan of my lungs to make sure the shortness of breath isn't pneumonitis, which it isn't, and today I am have a pulmonary function test to make sure there isn't any obstruction.  But the shortness of breath seems to get better everyday.  I know some of it might be caused by anxiety, so they advised me to take a little xanax which does help ease it a little.  But they also said that it is a reaction to the drug and would probably resolve on its own.

I am on the 10mg/kg does every three weeks, so my second infusion is next week.  Are your infusions more often than that?  Have you had any other side effects?  My melanoma is in my lungs.  Is yours in a different part of your body?

Jaryllane
                                                                          Participant

Hi Erin:

Jaryllane
                                                                            Participant

Wow!  You have been through a lot of treatment!  I haven't had any other treatment other than surgery for one small tumor in my right lung a year ago after which I was clear for months. The four or five little lung mets are so new — detected on a PET/CT in January then had to wait until June for one to be big enough for a needle biopsy.  I am very curious about how your lung mets resolved on their own.  Do you mean they just went away without any treatment?  Mine are very small and slow growing and I'm hoping that is a good sign.

Pulmonary function tests went well. Fortunately the shortness of breath finally resolved on its own, slowly going away over the past few days.  Woke up this morning and it was all gone and I've had no problem all day!  No one knows if it will come back again after my next infusion next week.  So I'm going to enjoy breathing freely and keep active for the next week.

Jaryllane
                                                                              Participant

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics