The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Kidney Surgery :-(

Forums General Melanoma Community Kidney Surgery :-(

Participant

Well, there's no getting out of it; I have to go to MAYO in AZ for a (partial?) nephrectomy, this month. The big question is – renal or mel? No one knows & I'll have to wait for pathology. The good news is, I know I'll have excellent care & compared to the local surgeon's assessment, they won't need to remove a rib to get to the 4 CM tumor, which infringes the vascular system @ the renal pelvis. MAYO hopes to spare a part of the kidney, especially w/ my melanoma but won't know until they're in there. Prayers appreciated, as I had not wanted to travel for major surgery but feel it is the right decision.

Separately, still recovering from WLE & reconstruction on my right ear from an invasive basal @ the helix, extending down almost the length & width of my thumb! Ugh … I knew there was a reason for growing out my hair 😉

Praying for Celeste & all of my mel Family … stay strong & keep fighting!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        MarkR
        Participant

Sorry to hear this – I hope it turns out to be less serious and wish you all the best for your surgery

jagstter
            Participant

Mark, thanks for the encouragement! I'm @ MAYO for all of the preop, this week … then, surgery on the 25th.

I hope your journey is on the road of recovery & improvement!

bjeans
            Participant

I’m so sorry you have to go through this – it sounds like you’re going to the right place, despite not only having the surgery but traveling to boot. Hang in there. 

Beth

jagstter
                Participant

Beth, thank you for your kindness. I really appreciate it!

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics