The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keytruda vs opdivo

Forums General Melanoma Community Keytruda vs opdivo

Participant

My husband is going to start treatment next week and his doctor is going to use opdivo.is there a difference between Opdivo and Keytruda? He is stage 4 with a small lung lesion. Any information on the drugs or side effects would be so helpful. Thank you

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hi Amie,

Nivolumab (Opdivo) and Pembrolizumab (Keytruda) are both anti-PD-1 products.  They have basically equivalent response rates and side effect profiles.

The primer I wrote (I shared a link with you earlier) covers what anti-PD-1 does, how it does it, as well as results and side effects that can be expected.  Here is another link that I wrote some time back, but remains accurate as side effects to immunotherapy have not changed, that is specific for nivo, but again…is identical for pembro:  

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/04/background-and-latest-info-on-anti-pd1.html  

The post above covers the general, most common expected side effects caused by anti-PD-1, be it Keytruda or Opdivo.  There are occasionally others (you can use the search bubble on this site or on my blog for more) but thankfully, they are less common.

Hope this helps.  I wish you and your husband well.  Celeste

Coragirl
            Participant

Thank you Celeste, you have answered all my questions. Thanks to you and other lovely people on this forum I feel prepared to help my husband beat this.

iskitwo
            Participant

I will be starting Opdivo or Keytruda Next week. My doctor told me that they were basical the same.  

Coragirl
                Participant

Good Luck with your treatment.

MelanomaMike
                Participant

My prayers go out to yer Husband, Opdivo and Keytruda are both fantastic meds, especially if Opdivo is used as a "combo" but, not nesessarly for all folks… Opdivo and Keytruda are neck & nape as far as simularities. I shouldnt be saying this but, I just stopped at #7 of Keytruda due to tumor progression {today matter of fact}, but dont let me discourage you, i know someone here at MRF personaly that Keytruda alone wiped out 2 tumors in his stomach in seconds flat basicly, it just wasnt for me, next week i start Opdivo/Yervoy "combo"and by God i pray it works…time is not on my side ill tell you that much..Prayers yer way to the BOTH of you's…Mike

Coragirl
                    Participant

I'm sorry to hear of your progression, That just sucks. This has not been a great week, we got the biopsy results Tuesday and everything just seemed to stop. My husband is so strong and positive and I struggle to keep it together for him and my children. I am grateful to have MRF. I find comfort in reading the posts,even the posts that are not so happy because I see people's strength and it helps me find mine. I will pray for good results for you with your next round of treatments. 

ed williams
                    Participant

Here is a good link explaining side effects and % and all that good stuff. They refer to side effects as IRAE's in the link.Best wishes!!!Edhttps://www.uptodate.com/contents/toxicities-associated-with-checkpoint-inhibitor-immunotherapy

Coragirl
                        Participant

Thank you, I am trying to be as informed as possible. This is so scary. I can't say how grateful I am to all of you on this forum who provide such useful information and support. 

bestrong
                          Participant
                            Hi Amie,
                            I hope your husband is doing great with the treatment.
                            My husband just got his result and he has stage 4 melanoma as they found 2 nodes in his left lung.. We are also trying to find out which is the best treatment between Keytruda and Opdivo.
                            Which type of treatment is he getting? Can I know how’s your husband treatment doing for him?
                          tkoss
                          Participant
                            my oncologist referred to a study a few weeks ago when she prescribed my immunotherapy. She has not ordered a BRAF test.

is there such a recent study resulting in obviating the necessity of BRAF test?

Viewing 4 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics