The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keytruda the only option? plus Path Report

Forums General Melanoma Community Keytruda the only option? plus Path Report

Participant

So, got mom's pathology report, following WLE of her right heel for ALM (2cm margins, with skin graft) in February.  (I've also listed the PET scan results below – she has nodal involvement – no biopsy/lymph surgery though.)  Would appreciate any thoughts on the path report – she's 84, staged locally advanced 3C.

She had her third dose of Keytruda today, but there is concern that the tumour has come back in the original site as one section of her heel is not healing after three months, and appears ulcerated. Met with the oncologist who wants to see what growth there is over the next three weeks.  What concerned me is that the Dr said there are no other options to Keytruda, so if it's not working that's basically it – other than "studies". 

Is Keytruda the only currently approved treatment in Canada?  I've read here about other treatments like opdivo, ipi/nivo, taf/mek etc and understand the side effects can be difficult. She's tolerating the Keytruda well. Any thoughts on what I should ask for if they decide the tumour is back and Keytruda isn't working? Two small satellites appeared then disappeared within a couple of weeks, so I'm hoping that's a good sign. They won't redo the CT scan for another two months. Isn't it too soon to decide whether it's working, even if the tumour is growing? She is Braf positive. Thank you.

DIAGNOSIS
      Part A – Skin excision right calcaneous:
      – Invasive melanoma
      – Anatomical level: 5
      – Vertical thickness: approximately 7.0 mm
      – Ulcerated
      – Mitotic rate: 7/mm. squared
      – Perineural and lymphovascular space invasion: present
      – Completely excised

Specimen
      Procedure: Excision Tumour
      Tumour Site: Skin of lower limb and hip –
      Calcaneous
      Tumour Size: 45.0 Millimeters (mm)
      Histologic Type: Melanoma, not otherwise classified
      Tumour Extent
      Macroscopic Satellite Nodule(s): Not identified
      Ulceration: Present
      Vertical Height (mm): 7.0 Millimeters (mm)
      Mitotic Rate: 7 mitoses / mm2

Accessory Findings
      Microsatellite(s): Not identified
      Lymph-Vascular Invasion: Present
      Neurotropism: Present
      Tumour Regression: Not identified
      Peripheral Margins: Uninvolved by invasive melanoma
      Distance of Invasive Melanoma from Closest Peripheral
      Margin: Cannot be determined – .
      Status of Melanoma In Situ at Peripheral Margins:
      Uninvolved by melanoma in situ
      Distance of Melanoma In Situ From Closest Peripheral
      Margin: Cannot be determined – .
      Deep Margin: Uninvolved by invasive melanoma
      Distance of Invasive Melanoma from Deep Margin: 4.8
      Millimeters (mm)
      Regional Lymph Nodes: No lymph nodes submitted or found
      Pathologic Stage Classification (pTNM, AJCC 8th Edition)
      Primary Tumour (pT): pT4b
      Regional Lymph Nodes (pN): pNX

PET SCAN

FDG avid lymph nodes in right inguinal region and along right external iliac chain. Largest node is right inguinal measuring 28 x 18 mm, SUV max 9.6. Additionally there is an FDG avid lymph node right ileocolic distribution measuring 17 x 13 mm, SUV max 6.3. FDG avid node posterior to the inferior vena cava, SUV max 3.5. This node is small, measuring 5 x 8 mm on CT.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        NSNewf
        Participant

Sorry you are going through this. It is my understanding that treatment depends on provincial standards. 

NSNewf
          Participant

If you do a google search of your province and Melanoma Standard of care. You should be able to locate the provincial DoH guidelines for treatment. Unfortunately Canada is not at the same level as US in treatment. 

NSNewf
              Participant

Actually I found a better source for you. Go to CADTH.CA. It listed the drugs as well as whether they are funded by the province. Nivo as of  April 2017 is funded in all but pei where it was under review. 

Best of luck

mbrrna
                Participant

Thank you for the info. I've gone through all the options – seems like there may be a something if she has the BRAF V600 positive mutation.  Will have to ask.

Linda5
                Participant

This is another Canadian defence that shows what is covered in various provinces.   If you have private insurance, they might cover things that aren’t covered provincially 

http://Melanomanetwork.ca

mbrrna
                    Participant

Thank you – I think there are some possible options. Unfortunately she doesn't have private insurance.

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics