The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keytruda Swelling Tumors?…and next step

Forums Caregiver Community Keytruda Swelling Tumors?…and next step

Participant

Hello all warriors and caregivers, I have been on Taf/mek since November and it worked great to shrink my lung/abdomen tumors and my neck vertebrae tumor.  We added Keytruda in about 6 weeks ago and my last scan a few weeks ago shows the lung tumors are growing and my abdomen tumor is growing, it grew nearly 2cm to 3.3cm.  My oncologists say the Keytruda could be swelling the tumors, but my question is how much? Has anyone that has been on Keytruda seen swelling of tumors then regression? If so how much?  We will be scanning the end of March after our trip to Orlando through the Jack and Jill foundation for late stage cancer ( a great resource for those with young kids that can take a trip if selected).  If the scans continue with progression we are onto the Opdivo/yervoy combo.

Thanks for any advice help and never give up!

Dave

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Scooby123
        Participant

Hi ,

So sorry that you are having a rough time at present. not had Keydruda but lots on here have so you should get some response. Hope you enjoy your trip and keep fighting

Scooby123

Scooby123
          Participant

Hi ,

So sorry that you are having a rough time at present. not had Keydruda but lots on here have so you should get some response. Hope you enjoy your trip and keep fighting

Scooby123

Scooby123
            Participant

Hi ,

Scooby123

JuTMSY4
              Participant

Yes.  I had this experience.  I began Keytruda last March after the standard ipi treatment.  Ipi eliminated most of my pain, but my mets remained and possible got larger and/or more plentiful.  

After my first 6 months of Keytruda, my bone mets appeared to be shrinking (no one knows really) or changing.  But my liver mets were getting slightly larger (I seem to remember about a 1cm growth or so).  Doc thought this might be inflammation and really wanted to continue.  We did.  Finally, after 9 months, we did a PET and learned that all of the tumors showed up increased FDG uptake or rather no activity to suggest cancer.  Doc declared me NED (although, I guess NEAD).  

So, to answer your question, results of inflammation are hard to define as typical (some people get it very badly and have lots of inflammatory pain), but I did experience probably a 1cm growth from what was likely keytruda.  It's hard to say and it's anecdotal, but that's what I experienced.  

JuTMSY4
                  Participant

I should add that, crucially, new mets are sign of failure here.  I think that's why docs, if they see some growth, might tolerate it, but when new mets pop up, they prepare to move to the next step.  

JuTMSY4
                    Participant

I should add that, crucially, new mets are sign of failure here.  I think that's why docs, if they see some growth, might tolerate it, but when new mets pop up, they prepare to move to the next step.  

JuTMSY4
                      Participant

JuTMSY4
                      Participant

Yes.  I had this experience.  I began Keytruda last March after the standard ipi treatment.  Ipi eliminated most of my pain, but my mets remained and possible got larger and/or more plentiful.  

After my first 6 months of Keytruda, my bone mets appeared to be shrinking (no one knows really) or changing.  But my liver mets were getting slightly larger (I seem to remember about a 1cm growth or so).  Doc thought this might be inflammation and really wanted to continue.  We did.  Finally, after 9 months, we did a PET and learned that all of the tumors showed up increased FDG uptake or rather no activity to suggest cancer.  Doc declared me NED (although, I guess NEAD).  

So, to answer your question, results of inflammation are hard to define as typical (some people get it very badly and have lots of inflammatory pain), but I did experience probably a 1cm growth from what was likely keytruda.  It's hard to say and it's anecdotal, but that's what I experienced.  

JuTMSY4
                        Participant

ed williams
                          Participant

Dave, if you can find Bubbles(Celeste) name and click on it you will find old post that she has put up. Look up one with her blog link and you will find many links to recent and current thinking on progression and typical responses to targeted therapy. Wishing you the best!!! Ed

Julie in SoCal
                              Participant

Hi Dave,

Celeste (Bubbles) has lots of good stuff on her site check it out.

Also, both Yervoy and the PD-1 drugs take time to work and are known for presenting a "pseudo- progression".  I don't know if this is what happening with you, but it would be worth searching this board and Celest's site for "Pd1 and pseudo-progression" and "be patient with the patient".

Shalom,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                                Participant

Hi Dave,

Also, both Yervoy and the PD-1 drugs take time to work and are known for presenting a "pseudo- progression".  I don't know if this is what happening with you, but it would be worth searching this board and Celest's site for "Pd1 and pseudo-progression" and "be patient with the patient".

Shalom,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                                  Participant

Hi Dave,

Shalom,

Julie

davekarrie
                                    Participant

Thank you all for the comments and support, treatments sometimes seem like a roll of the dice and we hope to get lucky I guess on that treatment that works for us!

davekarrie
                                      Participant

Thank you all for the comments and support, treatments sometimes seem like a roll of the dice and we hope to get lucky I guess on that treatment that works for us!

davekarrie
                                        Participant

ed williams
                                        Participant

Dave, if you can find Bubbles(Celeste) name and click on it you will find old post that she has put up. Look up one with her blog link and you will find many links to recent and current thinking on progression and typical responses to targeted therapy. Wishing you the best!!! Ed

ed williams
                                          Participant

Bubbles
                                            Participant

Hi Dave,

Here is a post specifically addressing Pembro (Keytruda) and pseudoprogression:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/05/asco-2015-pembrolizumab-keytruda.html

Here is another that addresses pseudoprogresion and info from melanoma experts:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/12/yep-immunotherapy-can-work-in-brainand.html

I wish you well.  C

Bubbles
                                              Participant

Hi Dave,

Here is a post specifically addressing Pembro (Keytruda) and pseudoprogression:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/05/asco-2015-pembrolizumab-keytruda.html

Here is another that addresses pseudoprogresion and info from melanoma experts:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/12/yep-immunotherapy-can-work-in-brainand.html

I wish you well.  C

davekarrie
                                                  Participant

Thank you for the website info! I will check them out. Dave

davekarrie
                                                    Participant

davekarrie
                                                      Participant

Bubbles
                                                      Participant

Hi Dave,

I wish you well.  C

Viewing 11 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics