The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keytruda and brain mets

Forums General Melanoma Community Keytruda and brain mets

Participant

Hello!

I read several posts on this forum regarding pseudo progression of Keytruda when treating the brain mets.

In case of my husband – we had 3 infusions since middle of February . MRI has been performed in March and another one yesterday. Both of them showed decease progression with multiple new lesions and size increase of some existing lesions

i have read that Keytruda effect can sometimes be delayed and enlargement of existing lesions due to swelling is also common.

But what about new lesions? Is it the decease progression and we just have to be patient and continue with Keytruda?

Or it's better to stop and switch to ipi/novo?

I know that it's case by case basis, but wanted to hear from other members of this forum.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        sgreenberg
        Participant

Hi, Sorry I don't have an answer for you – but my wife is in the exact same boat. Started Keytruda two months ago after BRAF inhibitors failed. First scan showed no progress – next scan mid-May. Let me know how your husband progresses – and we can compare notes.

zfishberg
            Participant

Hi!

it's good that after 2 month there are no progresses.

what about existing lesions? Did they stay the same size/increased/decreased?

regarding the combo plus a Keytruda – our oncologist suggests it as well. And we might start the Taff/Mek combo again unless it gives serious side effects as previously 

cancersnewnormal
            Participant

Has he had any targeted brain radiation on the lesions? I was on Pembro for 20 months. It did a lovely job stopping new lesions after the 2nd infusion… but, any and every lesion that had previously cropped up had been zapped… including those that appeared after the start of Keytruda. Brain mets like to grow in an area where the immune system is more limited than it is in the body. Anti PD1 can work in the brain, but knowing its strength lies in use of the immune system, and that immune response is somewhat decreased in the brain (it's nature's safety mechanism), having the brain lesions radiated is still considered the most effective line of treatment.

[email protected]
                Participant
                  Hi…just to let you know it does not always happen straight away I am on my 24 th dose and have had two in my brain one in my lung…the one in my lung has only started disappearing in last few months and something has started to happen in my brain(had craniotomy on one of them 1 1/2 yr ago) …the keytruda for me has been no big deal and just makes you a bit tired…so hang in there in may not happen straight away.
                  cheers
                  stuart
            Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics