The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keloid Scar after WLE

Forums General Melanoma Community Keloid Scar after WLE

Participant

I had my first check-up after a WLE in October on my back for an in situ melanoma and full body check. The dermatologist described the scar on my back as keloid. It is irritated. The MD suggested steroid injections and I declined. The thought of annoying the scar more made me shudder. The scar is slightly raised . Has anyone done this for a scar?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

Initially after my skin graft the edge scar was keloid-like.  After it completely healed, I put a silicone gel patch on it for 6 weeks or so and that really helped.  I got it at CVS in the wound care isle.  I'm sure other drug stores carry this.

I'm now 5 years out and I only have 1 section of the scar that is slightly raised.  This seemed to work for me.

Julie

Stage 3C WLE, SNB, LND, HD-INF, GM-CSF, IPI!

Sha20vs
            Participant

I have had 4 moles removed off my back now & they have all keloided.  I even had two of them removed by a plastic surgeon. The two I had about 15 years ago have gotten better in time.  I have two newer ones (within the past year) that I've been putting vitamin E on, but yes they drive me crazy sometimes. 

Sha20vs
              Participant

I have had 4 moles removed off my back now & they have all keloided.  I even had two of them removed by a plastic surgeon. The two I had about 15 years ago have gotten better in time.  I have two newer ones (within the past year) that I've been putting vitamin E on, but yes they drive me crazy sometimes. 

Sha20vs
                Participant

Julie in SoCal
                Participant

Initially after my skin graft the edge scar was keloid-like.  After it completely healed, I put a silicone gel patch on it for 6 weeks or so and that really helped.  I got it at CVS in the wound care isle.  I'm sure other drug stores carry this.

I'm now 5 years out and I only have 1 section of the scar that is slightly raised.  This seemed to work for me.

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                  Participant

Julie

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics