The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Keeping Track of Side Effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Keeping Track of Side Effects

Participant

Recap:  My last treatment (Nivo/IPI) was withheld based on scans which indicated some growing unknown in my lungs…I have melanoma there (and pretty much everywhere else), but it has been stable for about a year and a half.  There were a number of possibilities — with the most likely being a  cumulative reaction to the drugs (but the rearing head of melanoma not ruled out)

Resolve

Seems after an interim scan the docs are confident I have been reacting to the NIvo.  This seems to have been bolstered by the inflammation of my joints which was becoming extreme by the time I stumbled into the office for the verdict/checkup.  The reaction in the lungs seems to have hit its high water mark already and the joint inflammation is being dealt first with Aleve and if necessary steroids.  ( whether I get my final treatment, scheduled in  six weeks is up in the air). 

If there is something to be learned by the community here, it may be that pneumonitis and joint inflammation are beginning to be seen as "classic" symptoms of Nivo taken over time.  I was told of a number of instances, including someone who had never reacted to the drugs until the last treatment, and then had a fairly extreme reaction requiring hospitalization.   There's a lot of experience in the facility where I am treated so this is good to know about …. I've heard again and again that the Nivo is Ipi's benign cousin…. but it's  a powerful drug nonetheless. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Thanks for the info G-Samsa. 

About 8 months ago I had a phone consult with a Dr. Reneker from San Francisco.  He's a pretty interesting guy a very bright.  During the conversation he recommended a supplement called NAC due to Anti-PD1's possible reaction in the lungs.  I confess I haven't used it and by no means am endorsing it but you may want to do your own due diligence and see if it sounds worthwhile.  Here's a link to one of many products for the supplement.

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Nac-Acetyl-Cysteine-600mg-Vcaps/dp/B0013OUQ3S/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1412609720&sr=1-1&keywords=nac+n+acetyl+l+cysteine#customerReviews

BrianP
          Participant

About 8 months ago I had a phone consult with a Dr. Reneker from San Francisco.  He's a pretty interesting guy a very bright.  During the conversation he recommended a supplement called NAC due to Anti-PD1's possible reaction in the lungs.  I confess I haven't used it and by no means am endorsing it but you may want to do your own due diligence and see if it sounds worthwhile.  Here's a link to one of many products for the supplement.

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Nac-Acetyl-Cysteine-600mg-Vcaps/dp/B0013OUQ3S/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1412609720&sr=1-1&keywords=nac+n+acetyl+l+cysteine#customerReviews

BrianP
            Participant

kylez
              Participant

For awhile I was having real issues walking, in both knees and one hip. sometimes i would wake up at night and my knee would be "stuck" with swelling. and other weirdnesses. jogging 100 feet to catch a bus would result in major walking issues the rest of the day, in addition to pain just with regular walking. in the scheme of things not a big deal but affected me for several months — i'd say 95% cleared up now. 

lately i've been getting a hay fever attack after each nivo infusion — last 4 times — although that is calming down now too. 

are you going to be able to resume nivo again? since your docs have decided you're responding, i sure hope so!!!

kylez
                Participant

For awhile I was having real issues walking, in both knees and one hip. sometimes i would wake up at night and my knee would be "stuck" with swelling. and other weirdnesses. jogging 100 feet to catch a bus would result in major walking issues the rest of the day, in addition to pain just with regular walking. in the scheme of things not a big deal but affected me for several months — i'd say 95% cleared up now. 

lately i've been getting a hay fever attack after each nivo infusion — last 4 times — although that is calming down now too. 

are you going to be able to resume nivo again? since your docs have decided you're responding, i sure hope so!!!

kylez
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics