The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Just starting Ipilimumab Clinical Trial for Stage III

Forums General Melanoma Community Just starting Ipilimumab Clinical Trial for Stage III

Participant

I am 1 week in to ipilimumab for stage IIIc melanoma which involved 5 left axillary nodes.  These have been removed and the original site margins have been cleaned as well.  I was curious about others here who are in or were in or are considering entering this trial.  What are your experiences and thoughts?  I am in arm C and received my first infusion of 3mg/kg ipi a week ago.  So far I am feeling good, but feel paranoid waiting for some symptom or another jump up and bite me.  Sometimes our imaginations can be our worst enemies.

I am 1 week in to ipilimumab for stage IIIc melanoma which involved 5 left axillary nodes.  These have been removed and the original site margins have been cleaned as well.  I was curious about others here who are in or were in or are considering entering this trial.  What are your experiences and thoughts?  I am in arm C and received my first infusion of 3mg/kg ipi a week ago.  So far I am feeling good, but feel paranoid waiting for some symptom or another jump up and bite me.  Sometimes our imaginations can be our worst enemies.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        mel123
        Participant

Hi Mark, we have a lot in common, I had a few cancerous left axillary nodes (i'm IIIb though), am in the same trial, in the same arm. I started in October and I've had all 4 induction infusions so far, and have not had any side effects. I know what you mean about the paranoia of waiting for something to happen! Just try to live your life, while taking note of any changes and letting your doctor know IMMEDIATELY if you do have any symptoms, just in case. After one infusion, I got the flu, and my oncologist wanted to see me, but it wasn't related to the ipi. He did say that I might have been feeling worse because my immune system was boosted and would have a bigger response to the flu/cold bug. And, after another infusion, I ran/walked a half marathon, so it really hasn't had a major effect on me so far πŸ™‚

My best advice is to just try your hardest not to overthink it, as difficult as that may be. Best of luck to you!

mark1101
            Participant

Thanks, Mel.  No marathons for me even pre-melanoma, but it's good to know it truly is possible to get through much of this with little or minor side effects.  Will try your advice and just live each day as normally as I am able.  Good luck through maintenance.

mel123
              Participant

Another thing, whenever I feel tired, I blame it on the ipi and justify taking a nap πŸ™‚ Might as well use something to your advantage right?!

mel123
                Participant

Another thing, whenever I feel tired, I blame it on the ipi and justify taking a nap πŸ™‚ Might as well use something to your advantage right?!

mel123
                  Participant

mark1101
                    Participant

Thanks, Mel.  No marathons for me even pre-melanoma, but it's good to know it truly is possible to get through much of this with little or minor side effects.  Will try your advice and just live each day as normally as I am able.  Good luck through maintenance.

mark1101
                      Participant

mel123
                      Participant

Hi Mark, we have a lot in common, I had a few cancerous left axillary nodes (i'm IIIb though), am in the same trial, in the same arm. I started in October and I've had all 4 induction infusions so far, and have not had any side effects. I know what you mean about the paranoia of waiting for something to happen! Just try to live your life, while taking note of any changes and letting your doctor know IMMEDIATELY if you do have any symptoms, just in case. After one infusion, I got the flu, and my oncologist wanted to see me, but it wasn't related to the ipi. He did say that I might have been feeling worse because my immune system was boosted and would have a bigger response to the flu/cold bug. And, after another infusion, I ran/walked a half marathon, so it really hasn't had a major effect on me so far πŸ™‚

My best advice is to just try your hardest not to overthink it, as difficult as that may be. Best of luck to you!

mel123
                        Participant

94z28joe
                          Participant

I just finished my 4th infusion today of the same arm/trial. So, far no really problems to note. After my first infusion I caught a stomach bug which I thought was an ippi problem but it was just a stomach bug. Good luck to you on the trial.

mark1101
                              Participant

Joe, hope continued success for you.  I won't hold your being a Braves fan against you.

mark1101
                                Participant

Joe, hope continued success for you.  I won't hold your being a Braves fan against you.

mark1101
                                  Participant

94z28joe
                                  Participant

I just finished my 4th infusion today of the same arm/trial. So, far no really problems to note. After my first infusion I caught a stomach bug which I thought was an ippi problem but it was just a stomach bug. Good luck to you on the trial.

94z28joe
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics