The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Just started P13K/MTOR Clinical Trial

Forums General Melanoma Community Just started P13K/MTOR Clinical Trial

Participant

Started a clinical trial at UCSF for a p13k inhibitor trial, http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00972686  I had debated on waiting for a PD1 trial but after seeing the Melanoma Molecular Disease Model at http://mmdm.cancercommons.org/ml/index.php/A_Melanoma_Molecular_Disease_Model   I decided to give the P13k tria

Started a clinical trial at UCSF for a p13k inhibitor trial, http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00972686  I had debated on waiting for a PD1 trial but after seeing the Melanoma Molecular Disease Model at http://mmdm.cancercommons.org/ml/index.php/A_Melanoma_Molecular_Disease_Model   I decided to give the P13k trial a shot as it is listed as the "potentially revelant theraputic" for the NRAS mutation which I have, not BRAF like so many others.  This is the first time I ever saw a NRAS theraputic option!  The Melanoma Molecular Disease Model is meant to be collaborative by researchers and represents an awesome data collection point for all the different melanoma mutations.   

The trial started with lots of tests for qualifying then a a 24 hour stay the first day of dosing so they could collect data via blood, ekg's, vitals, etc.  I was advised that I was the highest dosed patient in the trial so far (twice the doseage)  which made me worry a bit.  My Doctor just said "well, that's twice the potential for it to work".  I was really worried about the side effects after spending 4 weeks in the hospital over 16 weeks of biochemo.  WELL, so far, so good.  No side effects other than I'm a bit tired.  If this is the "new way of treating cancer", I'm in!  Plus, my Doctor will move me over to the PD-1 trial if we don't see some results after my scans at 6 weeks.

I'm having a really good day!  Hope you do as well. 

Robert

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        jim Breitfeller
        Participant

Robert,

Thanks for the update,

Please keep us posted .

Wish you all the best

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
          Participant

Robert,

Thanks for the update,

Please keep us posted .

Wish you all the best

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
            Participant

Robert,

Thanks for the update,

Please keep us posted .

Wish you all the best

Jimmy B

jag
              Participant

Rob, how did the biochemo work out? what were the before/after results?

rbruce
                  Participant

Jag,

Biochemo was an asskicker!  1 week in ICU every 3rd week X 4 was very hard on me.  Vinblastin, Carboplantin, Temodar, Interferon, and IL2 all pumping into me the entire time in the hospital.  Although I had no regression, I had no progression which I guess could have been due to the treatment.  I lost 40 pounds and have neuropathy in my feet as momentos of my treatment.  If anyone is considering biochemo I would highly suggest that you ask the Dr. recomending it to substantiate why you should do it.  I do know that some have been complete responders, but that may just be the IL-2 which on it's own has showm complete response in 5-6% of patients. 

Robert

rbruce
                    Participant

Jag,

Biochemo was an asskicker!  1 week in ICU every 3rd week X 4 was very hard on me.  Vinblastin, Carboplantin, Temodar, Interferon, and IL2 all pumping into me the entire time in the hospital.  Although I had no regression, I had no progression which I guess could have been due to the treatment.  I lost 40 pounds and have neuropathy in my feet as momentos of my treatment.  If anyone is considering biochemo I would highly suggest that you ask the Dr. recomending it to substantiate why you should do it.  I do know that some have been complete responders, but that may just be the IL-2 which on it's own has showm complete response in 5-6% of patients. 

Robert

rbruce
                      Participant

Jag,

Robert

jag
                      Participant

jag
                        Participant

MaryD
                          Participant

That's great that you had minimal side effects – hoping that good news continues for you.   I'm assuming you may be seeing Dr. Daud over at UCSF?

Wishing you great results!

Mary

rbruce
                              Participant

Mary,

Yes I am seeing Dr. Daud.  I checked out your profile and don't see any new reports since 09.  How are you doing?  Did the IL2 work for you? 

Robert

rbruce
                                Participant

Mary,

Yes I am seeing Dr. Daud.  I checked out your profile and don't see any new reports since 09.  How are you doing?  Did the IL2 work for you? 

Robert

rbruce
                                  Participant

Mary,

Robert

MaryD
                                  Participant

That's great that you had minimal side effects – hoping that good news continues for you.   I'm assuming you may be seeing Dr. Daud over at UCSF?

Mary

MaryD
                                    Participant

Mary

JerryfromFauq
                                      Participant

Thought of you and some others when I posted that.  The NRAS mutation has lacked the needed research in the past.   It, like C-kit and some other mutations has been behind the curve.  The model does indeed bring out many points that we all should be aware of in this war.  Good luck and keep us informed, side effects, successes etc.

Praying for you.

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

Thought of you and some others when I posted that.  The NRAS mutation has lacked the needed research in the past.   It, like C-kit and some other mutations has been behind the curve.  The model does indeed bring out many points that we all should be aware of in this war.  Good luck and keep us informed, side effects, successes etc.

Praying for you.

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

Praying for you.

MariaH
                                            Participant

Congrats on getting in the trial Robert!  Dave's oncologist spoke briefly about this when he was in having IL-2.  I casually (lol) asked him what was new in the clinical trial world and he mentioned the NRAS research.  Dave is B-RAF wildtype.  May I ask how you knew you tested positive for NRAS?  Did the facility doing the clinical trial test for it or your oncologist?  Dave has scans next Tuesday to see if he responded to IL-2, but we want to have all our ducks in a row just in case.

Best wishes to you and please keep us posted.

Maria

MariaH
                                              Participant

Congrats on getting in the trial Robert!  Dave's oncologist spoke briefly about this when he was in having IL-2.  I casually (lol) asked him what was new in the clinical trial world and he mentioned the NRAS research.  Dave is B-RAF wildtype.  May I ask how you knew you tested positive for NRAS?  Did the facility doing the clinical trial test for it or your oncologist?  Dave has scans next Tuesday to see if he responded to IL-2, but we want to have all our ducks in a row just in case.

Maria

boot2aboot
                                                  Participant

Robert,

May you be the poster boy of this clinical trial, with no side effects and miraculous results!

choel

boot2aboot
                                                    Participant

Robert,

May you be the poster boy of this clinical trial, with no side effects and miraculous results!

choel

boot2aboot
                                                      Participant

Robert,

choel

rbruce
                                                        Participant

Thanks Choel, I've never been a poster boy but would love to be.  Been keeping you in my prayers!

Robert

rbruce
                                                          Participant

Thanks Choel, I've never been a poster boy but would love to be.  Been keeping you in my prayers!

Robert

rbruce
                                                            Participant

Robert

rbruce
                                                              Participant

Maria,

UCSF did genetic testing on my blocks to see what particular mutation I had and it came up NRAS+.  If Dave is BRAF doesn't he qualify for a BRAF inhibitor?  And yes, it's good to have your ducks in a row.  I call it "arrows in my quiver".  I still have Anti-PD-1 and Yervoy as backup plans but I'm very optomisitc that this is going to slow or stop, and maybe even reverse things for me.  Hope his scans show a great response.  Gotta have hope! 

Robert

MariaH
                                                                Participant

Robert,

Dave has an appointment on Wednesday, so I am going to ask about the genetic testing.  Dave is B-RAF wildtype, which is the same as B-RAF negative.  He is also keeping the Anti-PD-1 and Yervoy as backup plans.

Best of luck to you!

Maria

MariaH
                                                                  Participant

Robert,

Dave has an appointment on Wednesday, so I am going to ask about the genetic testing.  Dave is B-RAF wildtype, which is the same as B-RAF negative.  He is also keeping the Anti-PD-1 and Yervoy as backup plans.

Best of luck to you!

Maria

MariaH
                                                                    Participant

Robert,

Best of luck to you!

Maria

rbruce
                                                                      Participant

Maria,

UCSF did genetic testing on my blocks to see what particular mutation I had and it came up NRAS+.  If Dave is BRAF doesn't he qualify for a BRAF inhibitor?  And yes, it's good to have your ducks in a row.  I call it "arrows in my quiver".  I still have Anti-PD-1 and Yervoy as backup plans but I'm very optomisitc that this is going to slow or stop, and maybe even reverse things for me.  Hope his scans show a great response.  Gotta have hope! 

Robert

rbruce
                                                                        Participant

Maria,

Robert

MariaH
                                                                        Participant

Maria

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics