The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you all and what stage have you been diagnosed with?

Forums General Melanoma Community Just out of curiosity, how old are you all and what stage have you been diagnosed with?

Participant

I am 30 years old and have recently been diagnosed with Stage 1A melanoma. I have a 22 month old son and as all of you know hearing the word cancer is horrifying. I have surgery on Thursday and I am so scared. I just cannot believe this is happening. I am more scared of something happening to me and leaving my son behind. I know that stage 1A is more than likely curable, but my biggest fear is it coming back at a higher stage. I find myself now constantly living in fear and staring at the other moles on my body thinking they are all melanoma. 

I am very curious to see how old you all are. The doctor told me that the average age is 50/60 to get melanoma. 

I pray for all of you that we can all beat this horrific cancer and live long, happy, and HEALTHY lives. 

xoxoxo 

Viewing 38 reply threads
    • Replies
        Aiden
        Participant

Hi, 

I hear you Susan!

i am 35 male who was diagnosed with melanoma in situ in January. I also had a surgery and now they want me to come for the skin check up. Even though it's been more then two months after my surgery, I still have fear and ask so many questions. Soon I am going to see my dermatologist. 

You will be ok Susan!  We just need to beat up the fear and try to move on?

Thanks, 

Aiden
          Participant

Hi, 

I hear you Susan!

i am 35 male who was diagnosed with melanoma in situ in January. I also had a surgery and now they want me to come for the skin check up. Even though it's been more then two months after my surgery, I still have fear and ask so many questions. Soon I am going to see my dermatologist. 

Thanks, 

Patina
              Participant

My Sister, Aunt and I have all had melanoma removed with large incisions.  My Mom was diagnosed with Stage IV and has done remarkable well. She was BRAF positive. I imagine that all of us have the this gene. None of the other women or men in the family have any any melanoma removed.  

I understand that if you have 2 close family members you are more likely to have a genetic mutation.  The three of us have not been tested, but with everything happening so close together in age and each being sisters I seems too much of a coincidence for my liking.

My nephew is very fair and he knows what to look for, but he's in his 20's and none of us expect 

My Sister was 37 (10/2010)

I was 41 – (12/2011)

My Mom –  77 (11/2013) – Stage IV

My Aunt – 79 (11/2013)

The doctors said that it was unusual for my Mom to get melanoma at her age. They thought her body might have fought it off or suppressed it and they never found the original site.

Patina
                Participant

My Sister, Aunt and I have all had melanoma removed with large incisions.  My Mom was diagnosed with Stage IV and has done remarkable well. She was BRAF positive. I imagine that all of us have the this gene. None of the other women or men in the family have any any melanoma removed.  

I understand that if you have 2 close family members you are more likely to have a genetic mutation.  The three of us have not been tested, but with everything happening so close together in age and each being sisters I seems too much of a coincidence for my liking.

My nephew is very fair and he knows what to look for, but he's in his 20's and none of us expect 

I was 41 – (12/2011)

My Aunt – 79 (11/2013)

The doctors said that it was unusual for my Mom to get melanoma at her age. They thought her body might have fought it off or suppressed it and they never found the original site.

Patina
                  Participant

I was 41 – (12/2011)

My Aunt – 79 (11/2013)

Aiden
                  Participant

Hi, 

I hear you Susan!

Thanks, 

Calynda
                    Participant

I am 35 and I was diagnosed with stage 3b while pregnant with my son.  I went through the shave biopsy at 24 weeks and the WLE and SLNB at 27 weeks pregnant.  The SLNB came back positive.  After that, we had to wait until I had my son to do the PET Scan and second surgery.  I was in a state of unknown for the last 2 months of my pregnancy and really through all 12 weeks of my maternity leave.  

I worry all all the time about whether I made the right decisions as far as my treatment plan is concerned.  I worry about whether this monster will come back and my son will have to see me go through treatment, or worse.  

During the last part of my pregnancy, I bought a pack of note cards.  Those cards were for me to write notes for my son to read when he's older.  I haven't used them yet, thankfully.  But they're there if I need them.

My son will be 2 nest month and I'm currently a little over 2 years NED

Calynda
                      Participant

I am 35 and I was diagnosed with stage 3b while pregnant with my son.  I went through the shave biopsy at 24 weeks and the WLE and SLNB at 27 weeks pregnant.  The SLNB came back positive.  After that, we had to wait until I had my son to do the PET Scan and second surgery.  I was in a state of unknown for the last 2 months of my pregnancy and really through all 12 weeks of my maternity leave.  

I worry all all the time about whether I made the right decisions as far as my treatment plan is concerned.  I worry about whether this monster will come back and my son will have to see me go through treatment, or worse.  

During the last part of my pregnancy, I bought a pack of note cards.  Those cards were for me to write notes for my son to read when he's older.  I haven't used them yet, thankfully.  But they're there if I need them.

Calynda
                        Participant

kpcollins31
                          Participant

You will find a mixed bag of ages and stages here. I am 41 and stage 4 (currently NED). I was initially diagnosed at stage 2C at 37 years of age.

For me, I found that I was more concerned upon the initial diagnosis that I am today. So I expect your fear should subside with time. At stage 1A your outlook is very positive… treat it as a bump in the road and move on with life.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                            Participant

You will find a mixed bag of ages and stages here. I am 41 and stage 4 (currently NED). I was initially diagnosed at stage 2C at 37 years of age.

For me, I found that I was more concerned upon the initial diagnosis that I am today. So I expect your fear should subside with time. At stage 1A your outlook is very positive… treat it as a bump in the road and move on with life.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                              Participant

Kevin

sweetaugust
                                Participant

Everyone is different…and we all have different reasons why melanoma has come into our lives.

For me….I fried my white English/Scottish skin on annual beach vacations and summers at the beach…and that was just the beginning.  When I turned 16, I started tanning beds to get ready for the prom.  And from there….I decided being tan year-round was the way to go.  So I hit the tanning beds 3-5 times a week, year-round, from 16-26 years old.  And at 26 years old…that is when I learned that skin cancer was a thing….a thing I had never heard of…but it was about to become a very big thing in my life.

1st Diagnosed at age 26 with 2mm Stage II upper right arm

2nd Diagnosed at age 27 with In-situ on thigh

3rd Diagnosed at age 28 with 0.5mm left arm pit

4th Diagnosed at age 29 with 0.6mm right arm pit

Oct 2012 Diagnosed at age 38 with Stage IV

I am doing great though.  On the Merck Pembro trial for the last 2.5 years.  Totally healthy and feeling great.  Living a very happy, normal life.

All my best, Laurie

sweetaugust
                                  Participant

Everyone is different…and we all have different reasons why melanoma has come into our lives.

For me….I fried my white English/Scottish skin on annual beach vacations and summers at the beach…and that was just the beginning.  When I turned 16, I started tanning beds to get ready for the prom.  And from there….I decided being tan year-round was the way to go.  So I hit the tanning beds 3-5 times a week, year-round, from 16-26 years old.  And at 26 years old…that is when I learned that skin cancer was a thing….a thing I had never heard of…but it was about to become a very big thing in my life.

I am doing great though.  On the Merck Pembro trial for the last 2.5 years.  Totally healthy and feeling great.  Living a very happy, normal life.

All my best, Laurie

sweetaugust
                                    Participant

All my best, Laurie

Janner
                                      Participant

Remember, sites like this are NOT representative samples.  You don't see the vast majority of stage 1As who NEVER post again.  They have no reason to post.  The internet can be very scary for newly diagnosed early stages.  Take pictures of all your moles and then you have an independent eye to watch for CHANGE!  It does get better with time.

I was diagnosed stage 1a at age 29.  That is equivalent to stage 1b in today's staging.  That was 23 years ago.

Janner
                                        Participant

Remember, sites like this are NOT representative samples.  You don't see the vast majority of stage 1As who NEVER post again.  They have no reason to post.  The internet can be very scary for newly diagnosed early stages.  Take pictures of all your moles and then you have an independent eye to watch for CHANGE!  It does get better with time.

I was diagnosed stage 1a at age 29.  That is equivalent to stage 1b in today's staging.  That was 23 years ago.

Janner
                                          Participant

arthurjedi007
                                            Participant

Diagnosed stage 4 at 46. Hopefully next month I'll mske 48

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                              Participant

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                Participant

Artie

CHD
                                                  Participant

Age 45 at diagnosis, stage I-IIB, mucosal, which is a little different than cutaneous as far as prognosis, but 2 years later still no evidence of disease, knock on wood.

It is scary but at stage IA you have lots of good reasons to be hopeful!

And Janner's words of advice are good ones. : )

Cheri

CHD
                                                    Participant

Age 45 at diagnosis, stage I-IIB, mucosal, which is a little different than cutaneous as far as prognosis, but 2 years later still no evidence of disease, knock on wood.

Cheri

CHD
                                                      Participant

Cheri

Lil0909
                                                        Participant
                                                          Stage 3a when I just turned 29, now 30. I remember feeling alone in my age group when first diagnosed because every one at my dr office was way older, but sadly melanoma is becoming more common in younger ages.
                                                          Lil0909
                                                          Participant
                                                            Stage 3a when I just turned 29, now 30. I remember feeling alone in my age group when first diagnosed because every one at my dr office was way older, but sadly melanoma is becoming more common in younger ages.
                                                            Lil0909
                                                            Participant
                                                              Kim K
                                                              Participant

Stage IIA at age 34, stage IV at age 42.  Now NED past 5 years.

Kim K
                                                                Participant

Kim K
                                                                  Participant

DZnDef
                                                                    Participant

I was Stage IV in July 2012 at age 46 (tumor in lung) but wasn't properly diagnosed until a recurrence in March 2014.  I've been taking a nutritional approach since then.  I am not by any means NED, but I'm still around and the mets are still confined to my lungs.  I'm keeping the drugs in my back pocket if my disease gets worse.

DZnDef
                                                                      Participant

I was Stage IV in July 2012 at age 46 (tumor in lung) but wasn't properly diagnosed until a recurrence in March 2014.  I've been taking a nutritional approach since then.  I am not by any means NED, but I'm still around and the mets are still confined to my lungs.  I'm keeping the drugs in my back pocket if my disease gets worse.

DZnDef
                                                                        Participant

SABKLYN
                                                                          Participant

53 when diagnosed in 2011.  3a

SABKLYN
                                                                            Participant

SABKLYN
                                                                              Participant

_Paul_
                                                                                Participant

Stage 3a at 52.
                                                                                  Stage 3c at 53.
                                                                                  Stage 4 at 55.

_Paul_
                                                                                  Participant

Stage 3a at 52.
                                                                                    Stage 3c at 53.
                                                                                    Stage 4 at 55.

_Paul_
                                                                                    Participant

Stage 3a at 52.
                                                                                      Stage 3c at 53.
                                                                                      Stage 4 at 55.

AshleyS
                                                                                      Participant

I was 29 when I was diagnosed with 1b (lower left calf) in August 2013. SNB & PET came back clear. Then, in July 2014, at 20 weeks pregnant, I found a golf ball-sized lump in my groin. I had a complete lymphadenectomy at 23 weeks pregnant. Four total nodes came back matastic. I opted to wait until baby was born for future treatment. We delivered my son at 37 weeks and I had scans 5 days later. It showed metastatic melanoma in my liver, and spots on my shoulder, spine, & hip. I went to Mayo and they put me on chemotherapy. My cancer grew. I moved my family to TX to go to MD Anderson. I'm currently in a ipi + PD1 trial. I have scans the end of this month. My husband and I are both 31. We have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and a 5 month old son. 

AshleyS
                                                                                        Participant

I was 29 when I was diagnosed with 1b (lower left calf) in August 2013. SNB & PET came back clear. Then, in July 2014, at 20 weeks pregnant, I found a golf ball-sized lump in my groin. I had a complete lymphadenectomy at 23 weeks pregnant. Four total nodes came back matastic. I opted to wait until baby was born for future treatment. We delivered my son at 37 weeks and I had scans 5 days later. It showed metastatic melanoma in my liver, and spots on my shoulder, spine, & hip. I went to Mayo and they put me on chemotherapy. My cancer grew. I moved my family to TX to go to MD Anderson. I'm currently in a ipi + PD1 trial. I have scans the end of this month. My husband and I are both 31. We have a 2 1/2 year old daughter and a 5 month old son. 

AshleyS
                                                                                          Participant

Viewing 38 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics