The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Just had stage 1a removed , nervous

Forums General Melanoma Community Just had stage 1a removed , nervous

Participant
      5 yrs ago had a stage zero taken off
      Had this otter on my forearm ,derm dr looked at it every 6 months, took it off last week, came back 1a
      I’m upset and think we should have taken it off years ago
      Now he said he’s doing genetic testing first.
      If it’s a stage 1a then just remove the markings and nothing else
      But if it’s 1b ? Or maybe 2a on the genetic test maybe take out a couple lymph nodes
      Is this common for a stage 2 on genetic testing ?
      Now I want him to do an extra extensive exam … any even questionable remove them
    Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        ThinkingPositive
        Participant
          Hi luberhill, melanoma can be so sneaky like that. I’m sorry you’re dealing with it again. I didn’t realize that genetic testing changes the staging. Hard to wait, best wishes…Cindy
          JudiAU
          Participant
            I didn’t have genetic testing prior but a 2B usually involves a check of the lymph nodes. I never had genetic testing that early but I have no idea if that is the standard of care these days. Since it is your second melanoma maybe your doctor is being extra careful. Seems a reasonable approach.
            Danielle T
            Participant
              Hi, I had a similar event. Stage 0 for one, then many years later a stage 1a. The stage 1a was sent for genetic testing. The genetic testing I had done tests certain genetic markers to group the melanoma into one of four groups from low risk to high risk. If high risk, your doctor could choose to check your lymph nodes or add extra surveillance, but the test results alone do not change your stage.

You should ask your doctor what company is doing the genetic testing and you can likely find their website and get stats and sample result reports

If you’d like more info I’m happy to share.

By the way, my genetic test came back as the lowest risk.

PSupportsM
              Participant
                They do genetic testing to see what variant you have like braf for example. It will help to target the cancer if treatment is needed.
                Good luck to you.
                Hugs
            Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics