The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Just Diagnosed

Forums General Melanoma Community Just Diagnosed

Participant

I had melanoma 10 years ago and after surgery and 5 years of scans and MRIs I was clean with minimal likelihood of recurrence.  I was just diagnosed with melanoma again last week.  Nothing was visible because both spots are in my left lung.  Currently waiting advanced report to determine if there is any mutation.  Talking about immunotherpay. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

Sorry to hear about this set back. The good bit is that it has taken 10 years to get going again so hopefully is not the aggressive type. Immunotherapy sounds like a good direction to go.

Commiserations that MM is back in your life.. But if we are loo!ing for silver linings then there are lots of newer treatments about now compared to 10years ago…

Best of luck with your treatment.

Deb

UBContributor
          Participant

Yes, totally agree with deb above: since it took 10 years to recur, yours might be a slow one; any yes, there are so many new and very effective treatments available now. Pls keep us posted!  

dodgedh2
            Participant

Sorry to hear that. I have ben NED for 9 years now, following sugery and Gamma radiation of the site during surgery. Can you please share how you came to be diagnosed again? Were you having other symtoms? Was there visible evidence (such as another mole)? I was diagnosed at Stage 4 (to the bone) and have always feeled recurrance. Especially since the scans ended and no other definitive checks.

DocPain
                Participant

Honest I was feeling fine, nothing to suggest anything was awry. I rushed teeing off from the first tee box back in November, hurt my lower back, and went to a chiropractor for treatment. He took an x-ray and there was a shadow in one lung. Two CT-scans, a bone scan, and a biopsy later, I have two masses in my left lung and nothing anywhere else. Nothing external. Five years since my last scan which was clean. No talk of surgery at this point, just immunotherapy. Currently waiting report on possible mutations. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics