The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Just checking in…

Forums General Melanoma Community Just checking in…

Participant

I've never used the off topic forum before – it seems to me looking back that everytime I was on this dang computer I was looking up treatments or clinical trials.  I just wanted to say hello to everybody – I do not recognize many of the people on the BB now, and with losing Dave I am afraid to post.  I mean really, who wants to hear treatment advice from somebody who lost their spouse to the disease?

I've never used the off topic forum before – it seems to me looking back that everytime I was on this dang computer I was looking up treatments or clinical trials.  I just wanted to say hello to everybody – I do not recognize many of the people on the BB now, and with losing Dave I am afraid to post.  I mean really, who wants to hear treatment advice from somebody who lost their spouse to the disease?

It's been four months now since he's been gone, and we are picking up the pieces.  The kids and I are adjusting to our new normal and just started  group therapy sponsored by the Gilda's Club (in memory of Gilda Radner).  It seems to help.  Looking back over the last 4 years, it is amazing how much I have changed – and continue to do so.  I am starting school in the spring – something that Dave always told me to do.  Whenever a doc would ask me "do you work in the medical field?" he would answer "no, but she's going back to school!".

This board was such a life line to me during Dave's journey, and I thank God that I found it.  I have found a really good on line young widows group that has helped me tremendously, both with my journey through grief and my kid's.

At any rate, I think of you all often – the people I met through this board will forever hold a place in my heart.

Live, laugh, love – really, it's what life is all about 🙂

Maria

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          I know what you mean about the board. I am so sorry for your loss. But, I am ever so pleased to hear that you and your kids are doing well, finding the help you need, and moving forward. Going back to school sounds like a wonderful plan. I wish you the very best. Celeste
          Bubbles
          Participant
            I know what you mean about the board. I am so sorry for your loss. But, I am ever so pleased to hear that you and your kids are doing well, finding the help you need, and moving forward. Going back to school sounds like a wonderful plan. I wish you the very best. Celeste
            Bubbles
            Participant
              Tina D
              Participant

I have only been on the board since May of this year, but I followed your posts since then.  I am glad to hear you have found some good sources of support for you and your children. Also, glad to hear you are going back to school… sounds like Dave always knew you would!

As for people wanting your advice… well, speaking for myself, I think your experiences will always be of value to those of us on this board, and you can relate to many of the circumstances better than someone looking in from the outside. If it is too painful for you, then I say most certainly you should avoid it. But, if you are up for it… your sweet face, advice, comfort and support will always benefit the rest of us. And, even your continued journey now, helps give me hope that if I do not live to a ripe old age, my husband and children would find a way to go forward, and that is also reassuring.

Wishing you all the best..

TIna

Tina D
                Participant

I have only been on the board since May of this year, but I followed your posts since then.  I am glad to hear you have found some good sources of support for you and your children. Also, glad to hear you are going back to school… sounds like Dave always knew you would!

As for people wanting your advice… well, speaking for myself, I think your experiences will always be of value to those of us on this board, and you can relate to many of the circumstances better than someone looking in from the outside. If it is too painful for you, then I say most certainly you should avoid it. But, if you are up for it… your sweet face, advice, comfort and support will always benefit the rest of us. And, even your continued journey now, helps give me hope that if I do not live to a ripe old age, my husband and children would find a way to go forward, and that is also reassuring.

TIna

Tina D
                  Participant

TIna

Phil S
                    Participant
                      Maria, How funny it is that I never go to the off topic bulletin and tonight I did. I often wonder how you and the other caregivers are doing, after the loss of their loved one. I remember your devotion to Dave and always admired you, for fighting so hard, even when it was so tough. Plus, I could relate to you because raising children and fighting cancer puts us in a smaller group of people with unique challenges! We also take our kids to Hope Club groups (formerly run by Gilda, now American Cancer Society in our area), to deal with the uncertainty their Dad’s melanoma brings to our lives!
                      So glad, you are returning to school and slowly moving forward. What a great tribute to Dave, I am sure he still wanted you and your kids to live their dreams. I hope you feel his spirit, I am sure he is right beside you and so proud of the strength and courage you have shown during these past few months. Keep up the good work! Take care, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                      Phil S
                      Participant
                        Maria, How funny it is that I never go to the off topic bulletin and tonight I did. I often wonder how you and the other caregivers are doing, after the loss of their loved one. I remember your devotion to Dave and always admired you, for fighting so hard, even when it was so tough. Plus, I could relate to you because raising children and fighting cancer puts us in a smaller group of people with unique challenges! We also take our kids to Hope Club groups (formerly run by Gilda, now American Cancer Society in our area), to deal with the uncertainty their Dad’s melanoma brings to our lives!
                        So glad, you are returning to school and slowly moving forward. What a great tribute to Dave, I am sure he still wanted you and your kids to live their dreams. I hope you feel his spirit, I am sure he is right beside you and so proud of the strength and courage you have shown during these past few months. Keep up the good work! Take care, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                        Phil S
                        Participant
                          jag
                          Participant

Hey Maria, 

You can provide plenty of support from a caregiver's perspective.  Some melanoma patients don't have anyone to help them along, and that contribution is as good as anybody with a ton of scientific knowledge.

Thank you for posting, and don't be a stranger on this board.  I hope it continues to grow back again.

John

jag
                            Participant

Hey Maria, 

You can provide plenty of support from a caregiver's perspective.  Some melanoma patients don't have anyone to help them along, and that contribution is as good as anybody with a ton of scientific knowledge.

Thank you for posting, and don't be a stranger on this board.  I hope it continues to grow back again.

John

jag
                              Participant

Hey Maria, 

John

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

Glad to "see" you again.  You are always welcome on either board.  Whether one is an ultimate winner orloser in this battle, those thatlearn  caan still help otherw with their experiences to know what to expect.  The first year is very tough.  I am glad to see that you are working advaancing with life.  Your family needs it.

I am glad to see some of "you old timers" still  round.  (Even if wwe haven't always agreed  in the past!

I so miss Bonnie Lea's great writting.  How have athose vacations been lately?

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Glad to "see" you again.  You are always welcome on either board.  Whether one is an ultimate winner orloser in this battle, those thatlearn  caan still help otherw with their experiences to know what to expect.  The first year is very tough.  I am glad to see that you are working advaancing with life.  Your family needs it.

I am glad to see some of "you old timers" still  round.  (Even if wwe haven't always agreed  in the past!

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

Dearest Maria, I haven’t been on in months, and today came just to check on you. So I’ve only just found out about your love. I’m so very very sorry. He was truly a fighter! I can remember the one night at Roswell that we were both so so sick from the Interleuken…. And there you were, cheering us on! God bless you and the kids. Please know you will be in my prayers always. Kim
                                        MeNDave
                                        Participant

Kim,

I cannot even begin to tell you how happy I was to see your post!!  I'm so glad to hear things are going well for you.  We are still plugging along… made it through the holidays… blah, blah, blah….

I've been back to the hospital a couple of times now.  It really was so much a part of my life over the past four years, and I  will be forever grateful to all of them.

As for you, keep kicking mels arse!!

MeNDave
                                          Participant

Kim,

I cannot even begin to tell you how happy I was to see your post!!  I'm so glad to hear things are going well for you.  We are still plugging along… made it through the holidays… blah, blah, blah….

I've been back to the hospital a couple of times now.  It really was so much a part of my life over the past four years, and I  will be forever grateful to all of them.

MeNDave
                                            Participant

Kim,

Dearest Maria, I haven’t been on in months, and today came just to check on you. So I’ve only just found out about your love. I’m so very very sorry. He was truly a fighter! I can remember the one night at Roswell that we were both so so sick from the Interleuken…. And there you were, cheering us on! God bless you and the kids. Please know you will be in my prayers always. Kim
                                        Viewing 17 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics