The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Just a fast question….

Forums General Melanoma Community Just a fast question….

Participant

I have had 2 melanoma findings in the past 3 months.  I have a teriffic doctor and he caught them early, both were Stage I (back and leg).  I went for my 2 month checkup and they found 7 moles that are suspicious.  Biops. were taken and I am waiting on the results.  They said this is very rare….but said no more then that.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks…

I have had 2 melanoma findings in the past 3 months.  I have a teriffic doctor and he caught them early, both were Stage I (back and leg).  I went for my 2 month checkup and they found 7 moles that are suspicious.  Biops. were taken and I am waiting on the results.  They said this is very rare….but said no more then that.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks…

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

It's not THAT rare.  About 8% of the melanoma population have more than one primary.  Do you have dysplastic nevus syndrome (lots of atypical moles)?  The thing that most people do who have lots of moles is to watch those moles for change.  You could biopsy everything on your body, but why?  (About 50% of melanoma arise on new moles, not existing).  Anyway, I'd suggest getting photos of your moles, watch them for change, and remove the ones that change or bother you.

Best wishes,

Janner

3 MM primaries, stage I since 1992

ValinMtl
            Participant

Janner's suggestion about photos are an excellent idea!  I attended Boston symposium on melanoma organized by both MPIP and Mass General last year.  A guest speaker who was dermatologist said he always takes photos of those patients with many moles to make comparisons for changes each year.  Val

Alanfph
              Participant

Thanks.  I forgot to mention that I did have photos taken at Moffitt here in Tampa – great suggestion.  My best resource is my wife.  She was the one who found the two cancers on my back!

Alanfph
                Participant

Thanks.  I forgot to mention that I did have photos taken at Moffitt here in Tampa – great suggestion.  My best resource is my wife.  She was the one who found the two cancers on my back!

Alanfph
                  Participant

Janner
                    Participant

If you have photos, all the better.  Continue to monitor the ones that change.  Also any that you just have a gut feeling about.  Biopsy those, and hopefully you'll end up like me – a long term stage 1 warrior.  19 years and counting, but with multiple primaries.  Other than that, there's really not much you can do!

Janner

Alanfph
                      Participant

Thank you Janner.  I was in the "dumps" a bit but your note cheered me up.  I am not the complaining type and many are worse off then me.  Stay well and in touch.  Alan.

Alanfph
                        Participant

Thank you Janner.  I was in the "dumps" a bit but your note cheered me up.  I am not the complaining type and many are worse off then me.  Stay well and in touch.  Alan.

Alanfph
                          Participant

Alanfph
                            Participant

Janner
                              Participant

If you have photos, all the better.  Continue to monitor the ones that change.  Also any that you just have a gut feeling about.  Biopsy those, and hopefully you'll end up like me – a long term stage 1 warrior.  19 years and counting, but with multiple primaries.  Other than that, there's really not much you can do!

Janner

Alanfph
                                Participant

ValinMtl
                                  Participant

Janner's suggestion about photos are an excellent idea!  I attended Boston symposium on melanoma organized by both MPIP and Mass General last year.  A guest speaker who was dermatologist said he always takes photos of those patients with many moles to make comparisons for changes each year.  Val

Janner
                                  Participant

It's not THAT rare.  About 8% of the melanoma population have more than one primary.  Do you have dysplastic nevus syndrome (lots of atypical moles)?  The thing that most people do who have lots of moles is to watch those moles for change.  You could biopsy everything on your body, but why?  (About 50% of melanoma arise on new moles, not existing).  Anyway, I'd suggest getting photos of your moles, watch them for change, and remove the ones that change or bother you.

Best wishes,

Janner

3 MM primaries, stage I since 1992

MichaelFL
                                    Participant

I have two melanomas as well, (back and chest) and one moderately dysplastic nevus (back).  I also have pictures of several moles I am concerned about and watch them for "change".

Rare is probably not quite the right term. Unlikely is probably better, as about 8% is correct in relation to second primary melanomas. Be aware that the risk of having a third goes up to about 30-40%.

You are doing the right thing too-catching them early.

Let the board know when you get the results.

Michael, stage 1b 2.5 years out.

MichaelFL
                                      Participant

I have two melanomas as well, (back and chest) and one moderately dysplastic nevus (back).  I also have pictures of several moles I am concerned about and watch them for "change".

Rare is probably not quite the right term. Unlikely is probably better, as about 8% is correct in relation to second primary melanomas. Be aware that the risk of having a third goes up to about 30-40%.

You are doing the right thing too-catching them early.

Let the board know when you get the results.

Michael, stage 1b 2.5 years out.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics