The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Joint Pain

Forums General Melanoma Community Joint Pain

Participant

I have been participating in the ipi/placebo trial at Memorial Sloan Kettering since May. Although I have no idea if I am receiving the drug or not, I have had quite a few of the symptoms.Currently, I am battling joint pain in my hands. My body has felt super sluggish since my second dose of the trial drug and I usually feel like I have a constant hangover; however, this is new. I am only 24 so it seems a bit young for arthritis…. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similiar problem?

I have been participating in the ipi/placebo trial at Memorial Sloan Kettering since May. Although I have no idea if I am receiving the drug or not, I have had quite a few of the symptoms.Currently, I am battling joint pain in my hands. My body has felt super sluggish since my second dose of the trial drug and I usually feel like I have a constant hangover; however, this is new. I am only 24 so it seems a bit young for arthritis…. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similiar problem? I have quite a bit of nerve damage in my shoulders/arms due to the surgeries, but only after my 5th dose (the first of the once-every-3-month-sessions) have I been having pains in my fingers. There is swelling and pain in two of my fingers on opposite hands. When I first started the trial, I had pain in my left foot. That has, thankfully, gone away. I guess I have something new to talk to The Wizard–as I kindly call my oncologist–on the 20th. I have had really bad headaches throughout this trial and thanks to my upcoming scans, I am starting to freak myself out……

Thank you in advance for any advice you can share.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

It sounds like you could be having side effects that are related to an immune response.
          This might be due to ipi (Yervoy), if you are actually receiving it in the clinical
          trial. For more info see: http://www.yervoy.com/patient/side-effects.aspx

I feel that it would be wise to tell your oncologist about your concerns soon.

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

It sounds like you could be having side effects that are related to an immune response.
            This might be due to ipi (Yervoy), if you are actually receiving it in the clinical

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

Hope this helps

Frank from Australia

Gene_S
              Participant

Hello,

Joint pain is one of the side effects of Ipi so you might want to call your oncologist if it is to uncomfortable.  He might want to prescribe something to help.

My husband had knee joint pain with his Ipi.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver of Gene Stage IV)

Gene_S
                Participant

Hello,

Joint pain is one of the side effects of Ipi so you might want to call your oncologist if it is to uncomfortable.  He might want to prescribe something to help.

Gene_S
                  Participant

Hello,

CLPrice31
                    Participant

Thank you both for your responses. I called to speak to my oncologist today, but I was unable to reach him directly A nurse–not the research nurse–called me back this evening and seemed clueless as to who I am, etc. He made it sound like there is a need for a CT scan which I explained I am already scheduled to have on the 18th of this month. The achey pain has been progressing all day. I hope to hear from the oncologist Monday.

CLPrice31
                      Participant

Thank you both for your responses. I called to speak to my oncologist today, but I was unable to reach him directly A nurse–not the research nurse–called me back this evening and seemed clueless as to who I am, etc. He made it sound like there is a need for a CT scan which I explained I am already scheduled to have on the 18th of this month. The achey pain has been progressing all day. I hope to hear from the oncologist Monday.

CLPrice31
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics