The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Joint pain and zelboraf

Forums General Melanoma Community Joint pain and zelboraf

Participant
      Not sure when I last updated, but my IL-2 was not very successful, so on 7/9/12 I started Zelboraf. Dr. Started me on 4 pills a day, increased to 6. Now moving slowly toward the full 8 (adding 4th at night for 5 days then to morning dose). Got BAD sunburn – apparently shade is not safe enough! πŸ˜‰

Joint pain has been my worst side effect though. Has anyone tried any supplements like Osteo Biflex (glucosamine)?? Advil doesn’t seem to be doing much lately.

Not sure when I last updated, but my IL-2 was not very successful, so on 7/9/12 I started Zelboraf. Dr. Started me on 4 pills a day, increased to 6. Now moving slowly toward the full 8 (adding 4th at night for 5 days then to morning dose). Got BAD sunburn – apparently shade is not safe enough! πŸ˜‰

Joint pain has been my worst side effect though. Has anyone tried any supplements like Osteo Biflex (glucosamine)?? Advil doesn’t seem to be doing much lately.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

I have been on "Z" for almost a year now.The joint pain you have is one of the side effects I had experienced so far.In my case the joint pain lasted only for the approx. the first 3 months. Since then  I really am not bothered with any severe joint pain .Many of the other side effects reacted the  same way.Some stayed around longer  than others but there always seems to be something to adjust to .Hopefully yours will subside also and be more tolerable.Beat the Beast.   Al

aldakota22
          Participant

I have been on "Z" for almost a year now.The joint pain you have is one of the side effects I had experienced so far.In my case the joint pain lasted only for the approx. the first 3 months. Since then  I really am not bothered with any severe joint pain .Many of the other side effects reacted the  same way.Some stayed around longer  than others but there always seems to be something to adjust to .Hopefully yours will subside also and be more tolerable.Beat the Beast.   Al

aldakota22
            Participant

Bruce Davis
              Participant
                I’ve been on Z about 11 months. I took chondroitin/glutocosamine and diclofinac (an anti-inflamatory) because I was trying to continue running and that’s what I took before Z. They seemed to help the joint pain for me. My problem has been the metatarsal foot pain that started after 2 months of Z. One of the Z nurses told me that the side effects can attack your weakest points. If your physically weak, it will make you weaker. If you have bad feet, it will make them worse. The joint pain did go away after a few months.
                The side effects definitely beat the alternative!!!
                Bruce
                  Snickers60
                  Participant

My Warrior Wayne had some serious joint pain the first 3 months, but it has really calmed down.  He does get stiff a lot, but says the pain is almost non existent.   He has finally lost most of his hair – says he feels like a mangy dog – but other than that, he has done awesome on ZEL !   His feet still swell, but do not hurt.   We just bought bigger shoes.  πŸ™‚

He does have the rash still, but most of it does not itch.   He cannot be in the sun at all, as everyone learns on ZEL, and that's a pain, but a small price to pay for NED in only 7 weeks after starting Zel on April 23rd.

They never really let him take ANYTHING for the inflamation….won't let him take tylenol or Ibu.   He has taken ultram and fish oil and that's it.    Dr. B. is big on taking NOTHING else that is not absolutely necessary.

We did add a B-complex, which helped his mood and appetite a lot.   He also added vit. D. and takes TURMERIC.

Praying your pain will settle down soon.    Just knowing that it will get better helps.

Nancy (devoted wife of 3 X warrior Wayne)

Snickers60
                    Participant

My Warrior Wayne had some serious joint pain the first 3 months, but it has really calmed down.  He does get stiff a lot, but says the pain is almost non existent.   He has finally lost most of his hair – says he feels like a mangy dog – but other than that, he has done awesome on ZEL !   His feet still swell, but do not hurt.   We just bought bigger shoes.  πŸ™‚

He does have the rash still, but most of it does not itch.   He cannot be in the sun at all, as everyone learns on ZEL, and that's a pain, but a small price to pay for NED in only 7 weeks after starting Zel on April 23rd.

They never really let him take ANYTHING for the inflamation….won't let him take tylenol or Ibu.   He has taken ultram and fish oil and that's it.    Dr. B. is big on taking NOTHING else that is not absolutely necessary.

We did add a B-complex, which helped his mood and appetite a lot.   He also added vit. D. and takes TURMERIC.

Praying your pain will settle down soon.    Just knowing that it will get better helps.

Snickers60
                      Participant

Bruce Davis
                      Participant
                        I’ve been on Z about 11 months. I took chondroitin/glutocosamine and diclofinac (an anti-inflamatory) because I was trying to continue running and that’s what I took before Z. They seemed to help the joint pain for me. My problem has been the metatarsal foot pain that started after 2 months of Z. One of the Z nurses told me that the side effects can attack your weakest points. If your physically weak, it will make you weaker. If you have bad feet, it will make them worse. The joint pain did go away after a few months.
                        Bruce
                        Bruce Davis
                        Participant
                          Bruce
                      Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics