The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Joint Pain

Forums General Melanoma Community Joint Pain

Participant

I took glucosamine chondrotite for years due to osteo arthritis and it helped.  Then last spring i dropped it and everything else going into combo treatment didn't want anything interferring with results.  Dec '17 finally weanted off prednisone and i am on 1mg of opdivo every other week. Since weaned off prednisone the joint paint in my ankels, knees, buttocks is pretty bad.  Hurts to walk, hard time with stairs etc.  I asked dr if i could start back on glucosamine and he said yes.  The Meloxicam prescription i have had, 7.5 mg. He said i could take one or two a day but not to exceep two weeks.  Worrisome for kidney damage.  So i only took for 3 days and quit.  Saving them for bad flareup.

Any advice from others on this subject.  Water aerobics helps.  Can't wait for it to get warmer to use our solar heated pool.  Don't want to use ymca pool, too much chlorine.  

My recent mri had two  new small spots show up, will get new  mri in 3 weeks, but everything else from the brain down is good, the two new nodes in my gut, one is gone and the other shrank.  The mass in my lung gone, and even the groundglass cannot be seen.  

Thank you all for your support…and this forum.  

Sharon

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        cancersnewnormal
        Participant

Sulfasalazine did the trick for me. 500 mg x 2 daily. It's an old school DMARD. Doesn't interfere much with your immune system. Side effects are minimal for most people, if they have any at all. It took about 3-4 weeks to kick in, but the difference was AMAZING. It was soooo nice to finally be able to ditch the pain. Doesn't seem to work for everyone, but might be worth a shot. 

jennunicorn
          Participant

If the glucosamine supplements worked before then start them up again. I started taking them after I was on treatment a while and joint pain had gotten bad, it helps me quite a bit. It won't interefere with treatment at all and it's easy on your body. It takes a few months for those supplements to start working so if it doesn't improve after a few months then I would talk to your doctor about prescription options. 

Sharon93065
              Participant

Thank you Jenn.  I started taking glucosamine in 1994.  And whenever i get lazy and don't take it, after awhile i would wonder why i was having a arthritis flareup. And duh i wasn't taking it.  So i would start up again.  You are right it does take awhile to get into your system.  So I will be faithful in taking it daily.  So i will take meloxicam for bad flareup days.  Take care, Sharon 

Mat
              Participant

Sharon, I think this is another one of those "each patient is different" things.  My fact pattern is similar to yours except that I had no arthritis prior to treatment.  I tried sulfasalazine (high dose) for many weeks.  No effect for me.  I've had good success with methotrexate (high dose) and prednisone.  When I started on methotrexate, I was at 20mg/day of prednisone.  I would also need kenlog (steroid) shots.  I'm now down to 5mg/day and hope to avoid the shots.  The one trick with methotrexate is that there is a ramp-up period and it doesn't start working (in a noticeable way) until 2-3mos in.  I've gone from awful stiffness and pain (and walking like an 80 year old) to just some stiffness and little pain.  High class problems.

Sharon93065
                  Participant

Cannot take the prednisone with the Opdivo maintenance tho.  

Mat
                    Participant

Not true.  I was on prednisone the entire time I was on ipi/nivo.

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics