The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Job searching with cancer?

Forums General Melanoma Community Job searching with cancer?

Participant

Just looking for opinions.  I had stage 3 resected melanoma.  Currently reaching the end of a clinical trail.  Two months to go; so far, still NED.  Current work environment  has seriously degraded with arrival of new manager.  Would like to start looking at other options.  I feel like I can safetly look internally (they already know my history anyway), but limited opportunities in this company.  Would like to look externally also, but not sure if that's a realistic option.. Never been in this situation before.  I'm not sure about legally, but practically, I'd be required to tell them about my status, since – even if things go well i..e I stay NED – I've still got a number of scans and doctor visits coming up for the next couple of years. Given that, is there any chance to actually land a job?  If there is a chance, would you bring it up early? Later? 

I know there's probably no firm answer to this (unless it's "you've got no chance"), but just wondering about people's experiences and/or opinions.

Thanks.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics