The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Jake?

Participant

Anyone heard news regarding Jake?  I think of him often and hope and pray for the best.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Momofjake
        Participant

Hi there:) Jake is okay. The BRAF wore off and he has had SRS twice now for brain mets. We started to see several sub q tumors on his body as well. But just a few internally–liver and pelvic bones etc. The brain mets stopped him from a trial he wanted so they said all they really have for him is to try and go back on the Mek/Taf and see if round two will work. It's been like a month and the visible tumors have shrunk. Scans 11/28 so we will see. 

Min the meantime he is kind of going to college and has an apartment w some friends which he LOVES!! He comes home a lot and I like to see how he looks a few times a week. But it's been 3 years now and he wants to be his own guy:) He never tells anyone he has cancer. Him and his brother tell people he was in a motorcycle wreck–the scars!! Ha!! It must seem way cooler! Man, he is a fun kid! Not sure where it goes from here. But it sure feels like 3 yrs and 3 mo has been kind of a miracle!! Praying he has lots more❤️

Thanks for asking about him!!

kerri–momofjake

BrianP
            Participant

Thanks for the update Kerri.  I think of you guys often as well.  Sorry Jake didn't get a longer run.  Hopefully more good results are just around the corner.  I love the motorcycle wreck story.

So I have a little white lie also.  I have young kids (very young when all this started) and right or wrong we have elected to shield them from the melanoma world.  The only thing I haven't been able to shield them from is my port.  So when they got a little older and started asking what the lump was I told them it was my "power port" which is true because that's what it is called.  When they asked what it does I told them it is what makes daddy so strong.  I guess I'll have to come clean one day but hopefully my melanoma will be a distant memory by then.

Momofjake
              Participant

Jake would support your cool choice of words with your kids!! I have seen Jake cry VERY rarely these last 3 yrs. Not once out of physical pain(biochemo, 7 surgeries etc). But after about 6 mo he had a breakdown sitting on his bed. He had thrown up all night, lost 30 lbs and looked like true death, then he said crying…."mom, I miss the way people used to treat me. I miss just being with my friends, even you treat me different". He says it's the hardest part for him. Maybe you guys are on to something! I think it's part of why Jake is moving to Hawaii for a few months:) He has done family time!! He wants some normal❤️❤️  I hope you are well!!! I hope you can do normal:)

Thoughts and prayers,

Kerri

Momofjake
                Participant

Jake would support your cool choice of words with your kids!! I have seen Jake cry VERY rarely these last 3 yrs. Not once out of physical pain(biochemo, 7 surgeries etc). But after about 6 mo he had a breakdown sitting on his bed. He had thrown up all night, lost 30 lbs and looked like true death, then he said crying…."mom, I miss the way people used to treat me. I miss just being with my friends, even you treat me different". He says it's the hardest part for him. Maybe you guys are on to something! I think it's part of why Jake is moving to Hawaii for a few months:) He has done family time!! He wants some normal❤️❤️  I hope you are well!!! I hope you can do normal:)

Thoughts and prayers,

Kerri

KMick
                Participant

Thank you for the update Kerri.  Like I said I think of Jake often and hope and pray for the best.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics