The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Jake

Participant

Hi to all my friends and loved ones here!

I took the break you do when you get the chance for some "normal" good times:) Its tough to start off the forum with losses. Since Artie I can barely log on. Sept 12 marks 2 years since Jakes diagnosis. He was such a kid at 17. That was that time of shock.  He is now 19 and wise beyond his years. He is in charge of his medical decisions now. It's a tough age. He has been hard on me. Only me. Still quite pleasant with others, but not being able to go do his life has been trying!

K. Jake had a very heavy tumor load and had tried keytruda after all the chemo, radiation, interleukin, interferon, surgeries, etc. Nothing worked. SO they went w the MEK/TAF combo. He spent 10 days violently ill. He stopped treatment for a few days then pushed on w just the TAF. The docs have pushed him to add MEK at a lower dose but he refuses. It's been over 3 months. His first scan showed huge improvement. He looks incredible!! He is really active. He is on this completely focused mission to be "cured". He eats crazy good, takes tons of supplements, does some holistic/unconventional stuff that I barely know. He tells me very little. He is still a kid but is of age to do this and truthfully it's his body. He is smart and he believes he will win. He just cancelled a trip to Hawaii w his dad and is ALL in until his scan 9/13. It seems much hinges on this scan. He has told me he is needing to be well or be done. I understand. He is a young, adventurous, smart kid. All his friends and siblings lives have kept moving on. He says he isn't interested in living just to stay alive–I get that. So, his days are filled w blending, napping, pills, gym, little brothers, avoiding mom, and believing. He reads tons on the placebo effect etc and is wrestling with his body, mind and faith. We spent the summer doing amazing things and traveling like crazy!! There is my novel! Sorry. Hope this is good news given we deal with so much heartache here. I know TAF is short term….but who am I to tell anyone they can't win:) Just following Jake. Trying to help him. Trying to not be sad watching him struggle. And trying not to think too much about the scans coming. I think about many of you so often. I will report on scans and keep those fighting and the families of those who have lost in my prayers. 

Kerri–momofjake

Viewing 29 reply threads
    • Replies
        JoshF
        Participant

Kerri-

I'm so happy to hear Jake had improvement and sounds like 2 good months!! In the reply to KMick's post, you saw I said I just imagine they're doing great. I mean I pray for that for all of us but especially the ones who haven't posted. 

Jake is hardest on you I imagine because how close he is to you, how much he loves you and you're the one there supporting him. I can tell you initially I was hard on my wife. It took me awhile to learn how to cope, she bore the brunt and it's because I love her so much and Iit took me time to understand what this has done to her; not just me. Anyway you're a great mom. It does break my heart to hear a young man discuss "the end". I get it…quality of life. He is wise beyond his years. I will continue to pray for Jake, you and your family. I'm glad you checked in and updated. Love & Prayers!

Josh

JoshF
          Participant

Kerri-

I'm so happy to hear Jake had improvement and sounds like 2 good months!! In the reply to KMick's post, you saw I said I just imagine they're doing great. I mean I pray for that for all of us but especially the ones who haven't posted. 

Jake is hardest on you I imagine because how close he is to you, how much he loves you and you're the one there supporting him. I can tell you initially I was hard on my wife. It took me awhile to learn how to cope, she bore the brunt and it's because I love her so much and Iit took me time to understand what this has done to her; not just me. Anyway you're a great mom. It does break my heart to hear a young man discuss "the end". I get it…quality of life. He is wise beyond his years. I will continue to pray for Jake, you and your family. I'm glad you checked in and updated. Love & Prayers!

Josh

JoshF
            Participant

Kerri-

Josh

Patrisa
              Participant

Dear Kerri,

so glad you stopped by to say hi and bring good news, I was a little worried but hopefull you are MIA because you are enjoying your summer with your family…. Hope your vacation you mentioned in June was everything you expected it to be…

I can understand the dinamic between you and your Son, don´t be saddned by his harsh ways with you, we tend to do that to the person closest to us… My father is the same way with me and I have absolutely no hard feelings about it, cause i know he has to let out his stress sometimes and he knows i am probably the only one who will accept it and not get angry with him…. I just want him to be healthy, don´t really care if he "misbehaves" sometimes :-))))))))

I will continue to pray for Jake, he sounds like a wonderful young man and I am sure he will beat this thing!

Love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                Participant

Dear Kerri,

so glad you stopped by to say hi and bring good news, I was a little worried but hopefull you are MIA because you are enjoying your summer with your family…. Hope your vacation you mentioned in June was everything you expected it to be…

I can understand the dinamic between you and your Son, don´t be saddned by his harsh ways with you, we tend to do that to the person closest to us… My father is the same way with me and I have absolutely no hard feelings about it, cause i know he has to let out his stress sometimes and he knows i am probably the only one who will accept it and not get angry with him…. I just want him to be healthy, don´t really care if he "misbehaves" sometimes :-))))))))

I will continue to pray for Jake, he sounds like a wonderful young man and I am sure he will beat this thing!

Love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                  Participant

Dear Kerri,

Love,

Patrisa

marta010
                    Participant

Kerri – just wanted to let you and Jake know that my husband was on Tafinlar for 2 1/2 years after initial tumor reduction followed by stable tumor load.  He was also not able to tolerate the combo with Mekinist and was on varying doses of Tafinlar so it can last longer than you might imagine.  A lot can happen in the world of cancer research in that length of time – always need to have hope that the drug that works is just around the research corner.  Sending my prayers for Jake and your family.

Ann

marta010
                      Participant

Kerri – just wanted to let you and Jake know that my husband was on Tafinlar for 2 1/2 years after initial tumor reduction followed by stable tumor load.  He was also not able to tolerate the combo with Mekinist and was on varying doses of Tafinlar so it can last longer than you might imagine.  A lot can happen in the world of cancer research in that length of time – always need to have hope that the drug that works is just around the research corner.  Sending my prayers for Jake and your family.

Ann

marta010
                        Participant

Ann

Polymath
                          Participant

Hi Kerri,

Jake has really been on my mind as well.  So glad you updated us and especially glad he may very well be responding to BRAF inhibitors.  They do have an effect of immediately knocking down tumor load which often sets the stage for other treatments.  I was just recommended to join a trial of a new combo of BRAF inhibitors, so even if TAF runs its course, other BRAF options remain.  Many of us parents understand the dynamic between you and Jake and yes, you are an awesome Mom letting him be in-charge of his own body/life. It's scary, but no doubt what will work best for him.  He seems to be mentally battling the beast, in the right way.  Focused on survival and quality of life, rather than letting it get the best of him.  He is an amazing young man and you have much to be proud of.  We look forward to more updates and his defeat of this insidious disease.

Gary

Polymath
                            Participant

Hi Kerri,

Jake has really been on my mind as well.  So glad you updated us and especially glad he may very well be responding to BRAF inhibitors.  They do have an effect of immediately knocking down tumor load which often sets the stage for other treatments.  I was just recommended to join a trial of a new combo of BRAF inhibitors, so even if TAF runs its course, other BRAF options remain.  Many of us parents understand the dynamic between you and Jake and yes, you are an awesome Mom letting him be in-charge of his own body/life. It's scary, but no doubt what will work best for him.  He seems to be mentally battling the beast, in the right way.  Focused on survival and quality of life, rather than letting it get the best of him.  He is an amazing young man and you have much to be proud of.  We look forward to more updates and his defeat of this insidious disease.

Gary

Polymath
                              Participant

Hi Kerri,

Gary

jbronicki
                                Participant

I'm so glad to hear an update on Jake, he is obviously such a great kid and you are obviously an amazing mom.  Family members (kids, parents, siblings, spouses) are always toughest on eachother, but I guess it's because we are all so close to one another. . Kind of like how people say "Your kid is so well behaved and well mannered" and I'm thinking……are they talking about my kid, they can't be, if only they could see them at home!  He may also be trying to protect you in a weird way, my husband never told his mom his diagnosis (she is turning 90 this year).  I can't imagine going through this as a parent, but i've also had to give up "control" where my husband is concerned.  I want to run his medical regimen but he has a very different approach (which is wait and watch) and I'm learning to accept that.  it's hard though, feels like I'm OUT of control then.  My husband is Ukrainian and swears by the power of both pickle juice and Red cider vinegar as the cure for everything, and I just want to show him all the evidence-based medical research which he won't look at.

As someone that has read a lot of medical research, I can say that the placebo effect is pretty powerful, so Jake may be onto something there.  There is just so much unknown out there, and I can appreciate his search for knowledge and truth.

You are quite amazing!  Thank you for the update and wishing Jake all the best results possible.

jbronicki
                                  Participant

I'm so glad to hear an update on Jake, he is obviously such a great kid and you are obviously an amazing mom.  Family members (kids, parents, siblings, spouses) are always toughest on eachother, but I guess it's because we are all so close to one another. . Kind of like how people say "Your kid is so well behaved and well mannered" and I'm thinking……are they talking about my kid, they can't be, if only they could see them at home!  He may also be trying to protect you in a weird way, my husband never told his mom his diagnosis (she is turning 90 this year).  I can't imagine going through this as a parent, but i've also had to give up "control" where my husband is concerned.  I want to run his medical regimen but he has a very different approach (which is wait and watch) and I'm learning to accept that.  it's hard though, feels like I'm OUT of control then.  My husband is Ukrainian and swears by the power of both pickle juice and Red cider vinegar as the cure for everything, and I just want to show him all the evidence-based medical research which he won't look at.

As someone that has read a lot of medical research, I can say that the placebo effect is pretty powerful, so Jake may be onto something there.  There is just so much unknown out there, and I can appreciate his search for knowledge and truth.

You are quite amazing!  Thank you for the update and wishing Jake all the best results possible.

jbronicki
                                    Participant

KMick
                                      Participant

Kerri,

Thank you so much for the update. I was so happy to hear such positive news about Jake.  Sending good thoughts your way always.  Take care.

KMick
                                        Participant

Kerri,

Thank you so much for the update. I was so happy to hear such positive news about Jake.  Sending good thoughts your way always.  Take care.

KMick
                                          Participant

Kerri,

BrianP
                                            Participant

Thanks for posting Kerri.  I've been thinking about you and Jake often.  Glad to hear TAF is knocking things back and I hope you all get a long run on it.  It does sound like Jake is wise beyond his years but one of the areas that most young adults are the last to get wise in is how much their parents love them and how much they do and sacrifice for them.  That day will come.  Hang in there.

Brian

BrianP
                                              Participant

Thanks for posting Kerri.  I've been thinking about you and Jake often.  Glad to hear TAF is knocking things back and I hope you all get a long run on it.  It does sound like Jake is wise beyond his years but one of the areas that most young adults are the last to get wise in is how much their parents love them and how much they do and sacrifice for them.  That day will come.  Hang in there.

Brian

BrianP
                                                Participant

Brian

Bubbles
                                                  Participant

A mother's love is one of the most powerful treatments I have ever borne witness to. And Jake has that is abundance. Hang in there. Celeste

Bubbles
                                                    Participant

A mother's love is one of the most powerful treatments I have ever borne witness to. And Jake has that is abundance. Hang in there. Celeste

Bubbles
                                                      Participant

WithinMySkin
                                                        Participant
                                                          Thank you so much for the update, Kerri – I often think of you and Jake and hope you both are doing well. Jake has def grown older and much wiser the past 2 years – and while he thinks he holds the burden all on his shoulders, he doesn’t know how much of that burden is on yours as well. I know it must be incredibly hard to watch him go through this, but keep and open heart and a friendly open ear and he will always come to you when he needs you. Wishing you both health and happiness and keep us updated on the scans coming up!

Lauren

WithinMySkin
                                                          Participant
                                                            Thank you so much for the update, Kerri – I often think of you and Jake and hope you both are doing well. Jake has def grown older and much wiser the past 2 years – and while he thinks he holds the burden all on his shoulders, he doesn’t know how much of that burden is on yours as well. I know it must be incredibly hard to watch him go through this, but keep and open heart and a friendly open ear and he will always come to you when he needs you. Wishing you both health and happiness and keep us updated on the scans coming up!

Lauren

WithinMySkin
                                                            Participant

Lauren

Momofjake
                                                              Participant

Just wanted to say thanks for all the thoughts and help. There is no other place like this board. It's my private/not so private place for strength and wisdom from people who truly understand. There is great medical experience here.  There is also a unique bond through this experience. 

I think about many of you when my mind wanders and I find myself cheering you on and praying for many miracles. Keep the faith and cheers to future health! 

Thanks again,

Kerri

Momofjake
                                                                Participant

Just wanted to say thanks for all the thoughts and help. There is no other place like this board. It's my private/not so private place for strength and wisdom from people who truly understand. There is great medical experience here.  There is also a unique bond through this experience. 

I think about many of you when my mind wanders and I find myself cheering you on and praying for many miracles. Keep the faith and cheers to future health! 

Thanks again,

Kerri

Momofjake
                                                                  Participant

Thanks again,

Kerri

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics