The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

It’s official….stage four

Forums General Melanoma Community It’s official….stage four

Participant

Got  bone scan results today. Several mets in pelvic area, sacroiliac, L2 vertabrae, eigth rib on left side and tops of humorus, both arms. have almost  no use of arms. The plan is radiation to the hottest spots and then Zelboraff. Any info on either would be helpful.Thanks.

Got  bone scan results today. Several mets in pelvic area, sacroiliac, L2 vertabrae, eigth rib on left side and tops of humorus, both arms. have almost  no use of arms. The plan is radiation to the hottest spots and then Zelboraff. Any info on either would be helpful.Thanks.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tina D
        Participant

I am so sorry for this news you have received & for the physical ( and emotional) distress brought about. Change in our lives can happen so quickly that it leaves our heads spinning for a bit. I am glad that you already have a plan going forward. I have not had radiation for mel, but did take Zelboraf for abt 8 months last year. It was beneficial in a very big way for me, and as you read on here, also for many others. People react differently as far as side effects go, though there are a couple of things that seem to be pretty universal. One big one is the photosensitivity it can cause. People vary in their degrees of sensitivity – I could not be in sunlight for more than abt 2 minutes without getting very burned ( and I am naturally somewhat olive complected). So, we purchased a parasol and wide brimmed hats and sunscreen. There is also sun-protective UV rated clothing available.I always had something on hand to shield myself from the sun when riding in the car, too.

When you start on it, let us all know how you are doing, and people can probably address specific side effects with things that helped them.

Zelboraf can make a difference almost overnight sometimes, it seems. Wishing you the very best of responses and some quick relief & improvement!

Again, I am just so sorry this is what you are having to deal with right now. But, take heart… some of us have been stage four for YEARS, and are doing well. Take heart…

Tina

Tina D
          Participant

I am so sorry for this news you have received & for the physical ( and emotional) distress brought about. Change in our lives can happen so quickly that it leaves our heads spinning for a bit. I am glad that you already have a plan going forward. I have not had radiation for mel, but did take Zelboraf for abt 8 months last year. It was beneficial in a very big way for me, and as you read on here, also for many others. People react differently as far as side effects go, though there are a couple of things that seem to be pretty universal. One big one is the photosensitivity it can cause. People vary in their degrees of sensitivity – I could not be in sunlight for more than abt 2 minutes without getting very burned ( and I am naturally somewhat olive complected). So, we purchased a parasol and wide brimmed hats and sunscreen. There is also sun-protective UV rated clothing available.I always had something on hand to shield myself from the sun when riding in the car, too.

When you start on it, let us all know how you are doing, and people can probably address specific side effects with things that helped them.

Zelboraf can make a difference almost overnight sometimes, it seems. Wishing you the very best of responses and some quick relief & improvement!

Again, I am just so sorry this is what you are having to deal with right now. But, take heart… some of us have been stage four for YEARS, and are doing well. Take heart…

Tina

Tina D
            Participant

Tina

awillett1991
              Participant
                So sorry to hear this news! I’ve had radiation three times, twice after surgeries and once SRS and not much trouble afterwards. Lots of advice on here for Zelboraf side effects but hopefully you won’t need it! Hang in there! I’ve been on Zelboraf twice so far, got a year out of it, and might go back on again but attemptong to get into a trial first.

Amy

awillett1991
                Participant
                  So sorry to hear this news! I’ve had radiation three times, twice after surgeries and once SRS and not much trouble afterwards. Lots of advice on here for Zelboraf side effects but hopefully you won’t need it! Hang in there! I’ve been on Zelboraf twice so far, got a year out of it, and might go back on again but attemptong to get into a trial first.

Amy

awillett1991
                  Participant

Amy

Tamils
                    Participant

My best wishes for a speedy response to treatment!  I hear Zelboraf works really quickly to reduce tumor load.  My father has many bone mets and is getting targeted radiation to the largest on his spine.  The radiation has very few side effects; mostly fatigue and a little surface redness.  He is BRAF- so is also getting Yervoy.  His oncologist also recently started him on pamidronate infusions once per month to strengthen his bones and reduce the risk of breaks, since the bones are weakened from the mets.  

Tamils
                      Participant

My best wishes for a speedy response to treatment!  I hear Zelboraf works really quickly to reduce tumor load.  My father has many bone mets and is getting targeted radiation to the largest on his spine.  The radiation has very few side effects; mostly fatigue and a little surface redness.  He is BRAF- so is also getting Yervoy.  His oncologist also recently started him on pamidronate infusions once per month to strengthen his bones and reduce the risk of breaks, since the bones are weakened from the mets.  

Tamils
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics