The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

It’s Been a While….

Forums General Melanoma Community It’s Been a While….

Participant
      Greetings

I used to be a regular here back around the years 2000 to 2007 when mpip.org had the chat room. The combination of posting and live chat was a good way to take the edge off worrying about what’s next with this cancer. Many friends were made and I attended the likely last group get together near the Duke University campus. Unfortunately, the website “melasuckanoma.com” that had pictures of all the events of the years appears to be gone.

I started out stage 1A in 1999 and progressed to stage 3B in 2004 with a lymph node in my right axilla. I wound up getting the axilla dissection and 5 rounds of radiation and then I opted for clinical trial for an experimental vaccine called Mel43 from UVA instead of the routine Interferon. I worked for Schering Plough in the mid 70’s and was considered as an engineer to help build the Interferon plant in Ireland well before all this happened to me, but they chose another team member. Two years ago I had a new melanoma lesion on my back that was excised at Fox Chase in Philadelphia. Years ago I got a machine to help with the lymphedema in my right arm called FlexiTouch. It helps a bit but the arm is always swollen

Over the years I had scan after scan and luckily stayed NED and was able to work and I just retired from a chemical engineering career. As a side note, in my high school years, I joined the chess club and teamed up with George R R Martin who was a year ahead of me. Still playing online chess but not so good anymore but I did beat George a few times back then !!

I have always tried to take some supplements all these years but who knows if they helped or not but I plan on staying the course. Overall I am a big proponent of trying to optimize my own immune system to do the best it can fighting cancer cells and other diseases.

Wishing everyone here fighting melanoma the best and prayers for the best outcome possible. I always remember nervously reading the scan reports and looking for the word “Unremarkable” as that was a good thing.

Just wanted all to know that there is always hope for good outcomes.

Mike from NJ

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Hey Mike! Yes MPIP was once a very different place. It is currently pretty much a shell of its former self. But, some of us old-timers keep plugging along. Thanks for the encouraging words and update. Sorry you have to deal with lymphedema, but sounds like you are not letting it control your world!

Take good care. Celeste

mike_nj
          Participant
            Hi Celeste

Times change so it is what it is. The arm lymphedema is just a nuisance and I got used to it so no worries.
            Hope all is well on your end. Be well

Mike K

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics