The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Itchy skin and liver

Forums General Melanoma Community Itchy skin and liver

Participant

Anyone had issues with itchy skin?  Not on any treatment right now, off interferon since sept.  A little nervous because I googled itchy skin symptoms and came up with possible internal issues with liver.  Have onc appt tomorrow so of course I will bring it up, just need to shut my brain down from all the negative thinking but would also like a "heads up" if this was a symptom for liver mets?

Thanks, Laurie

Anyone had issues with itchy skin?  Not on any treatment right now, off interferon since sept.  A little nervous because I googled itchy skin symptoms and came up with possible internal issues with liver.  Have onc appt tomorrow so of course I will bring it up, just need to shut my brain down from all the negative thinking but would also like a "heads up" if this was a symptom for liver mets?

Thanks, Laurie

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        Lori C
        Participant

an excess of bilirubin is what causing liver related itching.  However, an excess of bilirubin also causes jaundice, and if you have the itching, you would very likely also have yellowed sclera (whites of the eyes), etc. 

There are a million other more likely causes for itchy skin.  Don't panic!  The person I was caregiver for, Will, had 80% of his liver in tumor and his bilirubin never was a problem.  The other liver functions, yes.  But he never got itchy skin from it.

Lori C
          Participant

an excess of bilirubin is what causing liver related itching.  However, an excess of bilirubin also causes jaundice, and if you have the itching, you would very likely also have yellowed sclera (whites of the eyes), etc. 

There are a million other more likely causes for itchy skin.  Don't panic!  The person I was caregiver for, Will, had 80% of his liver in tumor and his bilirubin never was a problem.  The other liver functions, yes.  But he never got itchy skin from it.

bestday
            Participant

I've had a red itchy spot I've been worried about recently too — it is about the size of a dime or nickel and has been red, scaley and very itchy — I've had it for about 3 weeks and it seems to finally be getting better. I too looked on line and was concerned because melanoma can come out in the form of a rash … I kept thinking that if it isn't better in a couple days, I'll go have it looked at 🙂 Was yours a specific spot and red or was it generally itchy skin all over? Maybe it's just the winter weather? Hope you feel better soon!

Kim K
                Participant

Been around any cats or kittens?  That also is consistant with ringworm…  A fungal infection easily treated with miconozole or similar products ex. tinactin.

Kim K
                  Participant

Been around any cats or kittens?  That also is consistant with ringworm…  A fungal infection easily treated with miconozole or similar products ex. tinactin.

bestday
                  Participant

I've had a red itchy spot I've been worried about recently too — it is about the size of a dime or nickel and has been red, scaley and very itchy — I've had it for about 3 weeks and it seems to finally be getting better. I too looked on line and was concerned because melanoma can come out in the form of a rash … I kept thinking that if it isn't better in a couple days, I'll go have it looked at 🙂 Was yours a specific spot and red or was it generally itchy skin all over? Maybe it's just the winter weather? Hope you feel better soon!

randy33704
                    Participant

Hey Laurie,

Wish I could help you on this one but I too actually found this site by looking up itching of the skin as it may pertain to Melanoma.  I am a Melanoma survivor X 3 and am personally afraid to ask my Oncologist about this itchy part of my skin without rash but that has, about 1 to 2 inches away, a lump of some kind.  I don't want to think, with every little issue, oh no, Melanoma again but when you've been cut up as much as I have and had gone through all the treatments, tests, etc and found this sucker is a sneaky one, I never know when or how it's going to pop up its ugly head and I want to be ready, be proactive. 

So, if anyone does have any info on this, please let me know or well, let US know!

Enjoy life my friends!  You never know when the day you experience may be your last!  MAKE 'EM COUNT!

Randy

randy33704
                      Participant

Hey Laurie,

Wish I could help you on this one but I too actually found this site by looking up itching of the skin as it may pertain to Melanoma.  I am a Melanoma survivor X 3 and am personally afraid to ask my Oncologist about this itchy part of my skin without rash but that has, about 1 to 2 inches away, a lump of some kind.  I don't want to think, with every little issue, oh no, Melanoma again but when you've been cut up as much as I have and had gone through all the treatments, tests, etc and found this sucker is a sneaky one, I never know when or how it's going to pop up its ugly head and I want to be ready, be proactive. 

So, if anyone does have any info on this, please let me know or well, let US know!

Enjoy life my friends!  You never know when the day you experience may be your last!  MAKE 'EM COUNT!

Randy

randy33704
                        Participant

Hey Laurie,

Randy

Viewing 6 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics