The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Itching symptom of melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Itching symptom of melanoma

Participant

Hi everyone,

I had WLE on my scalp for a 1.4 mm (Stage Ib) melanoma back in November. There were no cancer cells in any of the margins, and nothing in the lymph nodes. After about a month, a black spot started to appear within the scar tissue from the excision site. It was removed and biopsied by the dermatologist and declared "residual melanoma". My surgeon and I don't quite buy it and think it was most likely a satellite. I had a PET scan done and everything was fine as both he and I suspected. If things are going on at the moment, it's probably on a microscopic level. I am 29 years old.

The site where the melanoma was excised (twice) itches like crazy. It used to itch really bad before it was excised. I've noticed it in the last few weeks it has started to feel as it did right before I had the melanoma excised. I know scar tissue can take some time for the body to adjust to; however, this is the same feeling as when I had the primary and it is a very distinct feeling.

Does anyone have any experience with the itching symptom of melanoma? Did it later turn into a recurrence?

Thanks,

Teej

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Clean margins isn't a guarantee of no melanoma.  A single cell escaping can continue to grow and multiply. They don't analyze the tissue as closely on the WLE as they do in the biopsy.  Itching can definitely be a sign of change and therefore melanoma.  However, it can also be a sign of healing.  If you really think that there is more melanoma, then obviously it is best to get it taken care of sooner than later.  You want to keep it "local" to the site.  Are you seeing a general derm or someone at a cancer center?  I'm thinking now is the time to be aggressive and make sure everything is gone if possible.  You might consider a second opinion.  Just a thought.

Janner
          Participant

Clean margins isn't a guarantee of no melanoma.  A single cell escaping can continue to grow and multiply. They don't analyze the tissue as closely on the WLE as they do in the biopsy.  Itching can definitely be a sign of change and therefore melanoma.  However, it can also be a sign of healing.  If you really think that there is more melanoma, then obviously it is best to get it taken care of sooner than later.  You want to keep it "local" to the site.  Are you seeing a general derm or someone at a cancer center?  I'm thinking now is the time to be aggressive and make sure everything is gone if possible.  You might consider a second opinion.  Just a thought.

Janner
            Participant

momof4boys
              Participant
                I have not had a recurrence but my wle itched like crazy for a long time. I felt like I could just dig the skin right off. It has slowly gotten better but I am almost 2 years out now.
                momof4boys
                Participant
                  I have not had a recurrence but my wle itched like crazy for a long time. I felt like I could just dig the skin right off. It has slowly gotten better but I am almost 2 years out now.
                  momof4boys
                  Participant
                Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics