The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

It was bound to happen

Forums General Melanoma Community It was bound to happen

Participant

I went a year and a half thru three different treatments with out any side effects. Then with one week to go before my last IPI treatment, they hit. Fevers, fatigue, numbness/tingling in hands and fingers, balance issues, weight lose (10 lbs.),liver enzymes off the chart and dirrahea.Most of these have resolved themselves. But because of the liver toxicity, we have decided to forego the the last IPI treatment. Recent scan showed some progression and some with no change. The next scan will, hopefully, determine if there is true progression or inflammation. We are now looking for a new trial. If none are available, we will consider radiation on a couple of the mets. Three of the four are just under the skin, with two protruding.

So for now we are in a holding pattern. Latest labs were the best in the last year and a half…everything is in the normal range. Go figure.

Wishing all of ou the best. Keep on fighting on.

Nick

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        adrianc
        Participant

Sorry to hear about your immunotherapy results.Have your tumours been tested for  gene mutations?Genetic testing could open the way to targeted therapies as your next line of treatment.Radiation is a viable option and could slow down the disease but it wont't cure you.Hang in there and keep the fight.

Mark_DC
            Participant

Nick – am sorry to hear this. Any chance of doing TVEC or what texmelanomex tried (i think pv10?) with pembro? It might get the pembro going. It might be difficult to get this treatment approved (perhaps a trial?) but it might work for the more accessible melanomas.

After one year of pembro barely working (stable disease slightly worsening) adding TVEC seems to be helping me (dont want to jinx this though its still touch and go)

good luck and best wishes (i only made it through one ipi before having to give up because of side effects)

Mark

Nick C
              Participant

We discussed targeted therapy and are looking for trials in that vain. We also discussed radiation the the two protruding mets. We will wait until the next scan (5 weeks) the see if it true progression before decide on a course of action. Thanks.

Hi Nick.  I only made it to two ipi/nivo treatments before my liver got attacked.  Were you on ipi alone or the combo?  Could you go on or go back on nivo once your liver is happy?  It took 2 months to get my AST and ALT levels back into the normal range.  Hope you are feeling better and I hope it's only inflammation from the immunotherapy working and not progression.

Good wishes to you.

Jennifer

Nick C
                Participant

Hey Jennifer. I have done a year and a half of Keytruda ( Keytruda and Keytruda with trial drug). This would be considered reverse combo. My liver cleared up in about a week, but because of the toxicity issue, we decided to forego the final treatment. We will know if it true progression after the next scan in about 5 weeks.

Thank you for your feed back.

Nick

MelanomaMike
                Participant
                  Hi Nick, damn bro! Ok, no sweat, were “still” here, were “still” in the ring fighting this damn crap, to confirm what Mark said, our brother Tex indeed did PV-10 i believe injected “directly” into infected area of his neck (every 3 weeks i believe) and was also taking the Pembro as a combo fighting system and he is now NED! but, like we know, everyones results may vary..funny about yer side effects creeping up on ya’s!! Haha..i learned a long time ago, dont get cocky! Itll serve you up something Evil! Stay in the ring & find something new bro, we are here today so, it must be keeping us alive regardless of our poor scan results..right?..Mike..
                    Nick C
                    Participant

Hey Mike. Feeling a whole better now…just the stomach problem and tingling fingers. I probably know are next plan of attack in about 5 weeks.

Stay strong my brother. we'll get thru this.

Nick

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics